Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Have any questions in specific? There are several threads here discussing install. But basically get a head unit with a backup camera input. Then get either the backup cam built as a plate light replacement for the RAV or get another one and mount it. https://www.amazon.com/Rearview-Backup-Camera-Toyota-Rav4/dp/B00K7YUMDY

Then if you're comfortable pulling up interior panels it's not a difficult DIY, otherwise find a stereo shop to do it. Just need to mount the camera, fish wires through the door and out the grommet into the main cabin. Then you can tap the rear power outlet and run the video cable up to the head unit by following along the stock wiring under the door sills.

·
Registered
34 Posts
But the tricky part is, that you will need to route reverse gear signal to your headunit, so it would know when to turn on the backup camera screen. Any suggestions on how to do that? I assume if there is a standard radio, reverse signal will not be there and you will need to find that signal somehow and then connect to your head unit. I assume reverse light could be as this signal? Any tips where to take this signal from?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi elongdrive,I just got a rear cam setup from Garmin to use in my 12 RAV. I am looking into the routing of the wires. Im' looking to mount the cam inside on the rear door,but I don't know if the cam can see thru the glass. Iam looking thru the forums for some help in tools needed to remove interior panels,I have tried my old fav panel poppers but I came up empty. Any ideas on what I should use please let me know. Good luck with your project. MADMIKE47

1 - 6 of 6 Posts