Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looks like he was really impressed... 8)

Can't wait to drive my own. With a V6 in it!

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Devil's Advocate

It's a good read, but he comes off like a Toyota fanboy at the start and never lets up. :lol:

Also, going over everything he wrote, there's nothing that couldn't be gained from Toyota's press releases, specifications and photos. I'd be surprised if that guy has ever seen a 2006 RAV4 live and in person. :roll:

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think he was right on the money with this comment and I have the same feeling about the new design... :)

But we still don’t love it. Ahh, okay, we like it quite a bit. It looks good, but is still a bit bland, and no matter how many practical arguments there may be, the tire on the back gate is out of place. First, it ruins what would be a nicely designed rear, destroying the overall look of the vehicle and putting a hard-shell case around the thing just makes it worse. Second, putting the spare up there should be reserved for Jeeps and such; hardy roughneck vehicles that sing songs of dirty utility. It may be iconic for the RAV4, but it’s an ugly icon. And while it’s nice to have a full-siz spare on a new car, and while dropping a tire from under a wounded car on the side for the road is a dirty, damnable experience, for the sake of vanity we’d go ahead and put the thing down there and let the RAV4 grab a new identity.

·
Registered
344 Posts
m900s:
Yes, aesthetically it probably would look great without the full size spare on the back door, but the whole redesigned exterior looks less stylish overall than the chassis of the past 2 generations anyway. :?

And, given how many huge nails I've run over in the last year, I've come to appreciate the fast and easy access to the spare :D and the fact that I can drive around on it for a week until I get a chance to get the tire patched. 8)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
For comparison the european version rear side looks more appealing and clean. Instead of a full spare tire, a run flat tire
would be more practical considering the purpose of this vehicle...my 2 cents. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I really don't mind a tire in the back. However, what kills it is that the current design does not let itself to having a tire in the back. Plus due to the increased length, the tire in the back now makes it look a bit too long.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much weight will the tire add to that back door? Will it be awkward to open, I wonder?

·
Super Moderator
1,559 Posts
Jayneway said:
How much weight will the tire add to that back door? Will it be awkward to open, I wonder?
???? A spare tire has *always* been on the back door of a RAV4 -- the only one that *doesn't* (out of the factory anyway) is the European 2006 RAV4 Sport seen in the above photo in dark grey/charcoal).

I've owned a 1997 4-door and currently have a 2001 4-door -- the rear is hinged and balanced very well for the weight it's carrying. Slamming it shut requires a little more momentum than a car door, but then again so does an upward or downward closing tailgate. Biggest thing to watch for is when parked on a hill... up, down or sideways noticibly affects the ease of door swing, opening and closure. That, and because of the large footprint neccessary to swing it wide, clearance to open when parked around other cars or obstacles that can prevent or limit its opening.

Although I too would have liked the option available in the US, at least one drawback to run-flat tires is that they don't have the same wear mileage as standard radials and come with a much higher price tag to replace. There's supposedly a class-action lawsuit floating around against Toyota for their Siennas equipped with Dunlop run-flats -- some owners have complained of as little as 10-15k of use before they needed to be replaced.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hum someone did make a good point about keeping the tires on the back ... it keeps the trait of rav4... that's what makes a car a rav...

I'm surrounded by car designer where I go to school. and one of the thing you have to keep in mind when designing a car is you need to keep the trait of the company/car to a certain degree... surely lots of designer can design a beautiful rav4... but how many can redesign one that still look like rav4 and not X5?

I personally like the european one because I'm sure it's the original design without the "extended" modification by US manufacture.

but then the tire in the back is what says it's a rav4..... so i'm kinda slaping my own face.. but oh well who cares as long as the person who's driving it is liking it... :D

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
karrock said:
???? A spare tire has *always* been on the back door of a RAV4 -- the only one that *doesn't* (out of the factory anyway) is the European 2006 RAV4 Sport seen in the above photo in dark grey/charcoal)..
There is one other RAV4 that does not have a rear spare tire and that is the old RAV4 EV (Electric Vehicle) :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts