Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the mornings when i start the car and before i back it up out of the garage, i see the needle on the revs stuff between the 1.5 and 2 :shock:. And when i'm at the stoplight, it revs a little bit over 1. Is that normal? :?. I think it used to idle a little less than 1 and not over that :?. Does that have to do with the car not warmed up yet? I wish i payed attention to the idling before :roll: :oops:.

I think right after i took my car recently for its 5K maintenance (at 38K or so), and changed front break pads and cleaned rear break pads, it's been doing that. I don't know if it's something i should be concerned about. I wanted to ask you guys first cuz i don't want to sound like an idiot when i call the dealership to ask :roll:

·
Registered
265 Posts
That sounds normal for a cold start.
After it gets to operating temp. it should idle around 700-900 rpm I think, I forget the exact spec.

·
Registered
986 Posts
It's normal. Now if it doesn't stop idling high after 5-10 minutes that's when you start worrying.

A

·
0 Posts
REVVING

Try having a look to see if the accelerator pedal springs all the way back up, I had this problem with a BMW before where the spring lost its personality??

·
Registered
225 Posts
garfieldgurl said:
In the mornings when i start the car and before i back it up out of the garage, i see the needle on the revs stuff between the 1.5 and 2 :shock:.
I think its normal that it should rev higher during cold starts, but isn't going upto 1.5-2 a little high? Our Rav revs upto 1.3-1.4 only during the cold start-up idling.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Depends how cold your cold start is.

Winter here in Canada.....mine revs at 2000 or so. Summer 1200-1500 is normal depending on the morniing temp.

At full warm-up it is down to around 850-900.

Later. M.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Marcutio said:
Depends how cold your cold start is.

Winter here in Canada.....mine revs at 2000 or so. Summer 1200-1500 is normal depending on the morniing temp.
Our Rav idled just slightly above 1.5 this morning start. Looks nomal then, probably a colder start, as you explained. :D

J

·
0 Posts
Revving

Not sure if anyone is still checking this idle question out. My manual 2002 (bought this summer) idles 2000-2300 at start and takes a couple minutes of driving to get down to normal 800 rpm or so. This occured even in warmer 10+degreeC weather. Dealer said this is normal. I think it's a little high. I'll try letting it warm up a little longer as some have suggested.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Can I in any way diasable the automatic choke on my car? Where we live, the temps never, ever, go below 20 Degree Cel. (68F), so I really do not need it. It is a pain in the A$$ because the idle stays high for about 5-10 minutes, I did not have this issue with my 4.1, you just switch it on and go, just great!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
BAZRAV4 said:
Can I in any way diasable the automatic choke on my car? Where we live, the temps never, ever, go below 20 Degree Cel. (68F), so I really do not need it. It is a pain in the A$$ because the idle stays high for about 5-10 minutes, I did not have this issue with my 4.1, you just switch it on and go, just great!
NO - But you can unplug the IAC valve...... But you really dont want to as this controls the idle both on startup and in normal operating conditions (Like increasing the idle speed when the A/C is on.....)

M

·
0 Posts
Hello,
I had this problem on my 02 and I removed the IAC valve and cleaned it out. There is a cylindrical valve that was sticking. I cleand it using some brake cleaner and also used some PB Blaster to help with lubrication. Just be careful with the gasket so you can reuse it. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
385 Posts
i have this issue on my 04....1500 to 1800 idle on start up and then drops to 1000 or less after 30 to 75secs..........is this normal?

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have it in my 2004 limited 5speed, but mine only happens after car has been sitting for a long amount of time. Had enough and went to advanced auto parts and they obd2'd the rave. Only code that came up was P0300 (random multiple cylinder misfire). How can that be fixed?

·
Registered
385 Posts
@ unashamed..mine is 04 limited too!, hppenes when the car has been sitting 4 long........p0300 is misfire problem...either bad plugs or coils...when last did u chnge ur plugs?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts