Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all!

Yeah, it's the newb again. LOL.

So, how do I revitalize the black bumpers and lower panels and wheel trim? The plastic has white and fading areas that I would like to eliminate.

I've tried products like Armorall to 'wet' the panels, but all that does is shine up the panels, without blackening up the panels at all.

What's the trick here?

Thanks for any help!

-Anafiel

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Maybe this pic will help. You can see the wheel well trim whitening fairly good here...

Attachments

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recently used a heat gun after reading another thread here. I used a piece of cardboard to shield areas I didn't want affected, like paint. It worked but not 100%. There was some residual streaking. However, I only went over the plastic once and still there was marked improvement in coloration. So, I'm going to do it again and then apply something over it. Just be careful, don't linger too long in one spot, and don't touch the gun to the hot plastic. Search YouTube for a how-to video. I don't know the chemistry behind this and whether or not it has any long term negative effect on the plastic, like brittleness overall longevity of the plastic itself. If you don't want to mess with liquids or heat guns, the other option is to powder coat (aka paint) the plastic.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I done the heat gun thing too, worked wonders.
Make sure the plastic is clean though, even use heavy duty de greaser, alloy wheel cleaner or plastic cleaner as anything left on will burn onto the plastic.
I done my lower panels and arches a few weeks ago that hadn't been touched in four years, look great. The streaking settles after a few days too.
I also put on Autoglym Bumpercare gel afterwards too, works great.
Can see difference on the front bumper...

·
Registered
419 Posts
Black plastic bumpers and engine bay covers - I spray & wipe down with WD40 or Fluid Film.
- and work it in with a brush &/or rag
kleen-flo tire dressing foam work too, get it at NAPA/UAP.

^^ I've used either, when flipping a vehicle, trim blackens up like new.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Looks very nice !!

·
Registered
412 Posts
I love love forever black, works great.

Joe,

Are these pictures AFTER you applied FOREVER BLACK ?
... cuz doesn't look like it.. :D

I am thinking about using FOREVER BLACK ............ but .. hesitating.. cuz... the RAV4 plastic trim originally didn't exactly come FULL BLACK.. .There is a shade of gray cuz I installed two new parts and they were GRAY.

I don't want to make it pitch black.... does anybody have RAV4 pics after FOREVER BLACK application?

I am heavily debating on HEAT GUN to keep the paint OEM/original color. .............. and what is the SCIENCE behind the heat gun anyway.. ? researching ....

·
Registered
168 Posts

To me it's a huge difference, look at the mud flaps. I only applied one coat and have been happy with just the one. Will get around eventually to doing two.

Best, Joe

·
Premium Member
172 Posts
If you search this subject it was bashed around before. I have had GREAT results with DupliColor Bumper Treatment from NAPA for the front bumper. For everything else Turtle Wax Jet Black Black Endura-Shine Trim Coating. My CUTE 1997 was treated last Spring and has gone through a Colorado Winter and looks like I put it on yesterday. Very impressed! Heat gun: YIKES! Others I cannot attest to. I'll post pictures of the treated and untreated as soon as things slow down......>:D

·
Registered
412 Posts
Got my FOREVER black in mail last night.
I am totally freaking out !!

I have not seen pictures of GEN1s with blackened plastic because from factory it kind of came dark greyish. As an OEM person I am totally freaked out on what I am about to do to my plastic. The pictures in this thread look like they were before the black coating was applied so I guess when I complete it today I will see how it looks and if it looks bad, I am out more than $1000.00 because I will then endup buying all new plastic panels all around my RAV4.

ATTACHED are the BEFORE pics. My plastic is not perfect. It has different colored patterns in it due to oxidation and makes the vehicle look old.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I used Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer. It worked pretty well but not perfect. If you're that fussy, you could also have them repainted.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I used Meguiar's Ultimate Black Plastic Restorer. It worked pretty well but not perfect. If you're that fussy, you could also have them repainted.
My plastic is bare. It is not painted. Oh well, I will share pics after I am done.
JoeShark shared pics but I am only seeing discolored grey. There is no black. He insists that it was AFTER he used Forever black. May be I need my eye sight checked. Either he is smoking something or I am. LOL. Doesn't matter.
I am going at it this weekend ! Will start from hidden areas first to test. I don't want SHINE .... I can handle pitch black I guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts