Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2007 Rav 4 and I put a cell phone charger in my 12v outlet (aka cigarette lighter port) under the radio and it is kills my audio. I pull it out and the radio is fine. I can put my hand on the charging cable also and the audio comes on again. Any suggestions? I had thought about trying aluminum foil

Thanks in advance
Bob

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I put a cell phone charger in my 12v outlet (aka cigarette lighter port) under the radio and it is kills my audio.
Since you specifically mention RFI, I assume you mean that weaker radio stations get blocked, or you hear noise over your speakers and not that your audio actually dies?

You could try using a USB cable with ferrite cores installed, or purchase one or more ferrite cores at an electronics shop and install them on your existing cable.

If you use the power port inside the center console, do you have a similar problem?

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Could also try a different charger.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,712 Posts
I have a 2007 Rav 4 and I put a cell phone charger in my 12v outlet (aka cigarette lighter port) under the radio and it is kills my audio.
Yeah, a cheapo charger is going to put out all kinds of RFI (radio frequency interference) unless you shield it somehow.

·
Super Moderator
10,125 Posts
Remembering the you don't often get what you pay for :wink I'd just try any another usb charger. I prefer the ones with a built in voltmeter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts