Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have 2009 Rav4 Sports. Need to change the coolant as the pipe bursted. Can you please let me what is the recommended coolant? I have GM Dex-Cool Prestone and not sure if ok to use? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I would stick with the OEM Toyota Coolant. Get from dealer or online like Amazon.

·
Registered
9,025 Posts
One can use any coolant which meets Toyota specs, as is indicated in the Owner's manual The thread indicated in RTexasF's post has an extended discussion of coolants. One advantage of using Toyota Super Long Life Coolant may be a longer interval between needed changes. The Chevron DexCool coolant which I use in my motorcycle has a 5-year, 50K mile life. but otherwise is equivalent to the Toyota coolant.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Use Toyota Super Long Life coolant (OEM), like others are saying. You can use anything that meets the Toyota spec (see owners manual), however you should do a thorough flush with distilled water if you go that route. Personally I flush 3x with distilled even when using OEM coolant just to get all the old stuff out. Mixing formulas can create sludge build up and who wants that in their engine? I'm not super familiar with the RAV4 from a maintenance perspective however I have a late model Hyundai (and do ALL maintenance myself) and this is what I base my info on. I don't see why Toyota would be all that different. Keep in mind when you do a coolant drain, approximately 1/2 of the coolant will be stuck in the engine. This is why you want to flush with distilled water a minimum of 3x. By the 3rd drain it should start draining almost totally clear. When you fill up with the new coolant, be sure to account for the water already in the engine, otherwise your concentration % will be jacked. In general you want a 50% mix unless you live up north (then 55%). For my Hyundai I mixed a 70% batch to account for the water already in the engine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts