Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. :p

I have a 2004 with stock steel rims with 215/70/16 Toyo A14 tires which I don't particularly like and they are pretty worn at 20k miles.

My idea is to replace them with something new, and getting less anemic looking 235/60/16 or 235/65/16 would be nice also.

I know that 235/60/16 comes as factory equipment with allow wheels, so space inside the wheel well should not be a problem, but then I realized that the offset might be different!

So what I wondering is:
a.) Is the offset the same between the steel and aluminum rims?
b.) Are there any confirmed cases of someone running 235/60/16 (or even 235/65/16) on steel rims?

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
I don't know the offset of the steelies and i doubt there is much difference but you also must consider the width of your steel rims if you want to go to 235/ 60/ 16's.
I forget the width range but you can find it on www.1010tires.com

·
Registered
771 Posts
235/65R16 is not avaliable in the mass market. At least not that I know. I've looked at inventory available to us at work and the size is non-existant.

You could put the size on your 6.5 inch rims, the Alluminum rims are only a half inch wider. 235/60R16 is recomended on 6" or wider rim so you'll be OK there.

The off-set may be different by a Quarter inch front and back (inside/outside) but that is not much. Won't make a difference to your rig.

I use steel winter/ Alluminim summer. Don't have any issues. The 235 does give much better handling but the steering is stiffer with more rubber on the road. No big deal.

Go for the Alluminum for the look. If not just buy the tires for better handling.

Later. M. 8)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marcutio, 1/4" offset might make all the difference actually when upsizing to 235/65/16. It will be the difference between rubbing or not rubbing. That's why I'm looking to confirm the offset.

There are 10 different models on www.tirerack.com in 235/65/16.

·
Registered
212 Posts
Hi Minirunner,

I just bought a used 02 Rav4 AWD with steel rims
16x6.5 215-70-16 tires.
I also wanted to use my steel rims and put on some 235-60-16
all seasons but wasn't sure it will fit. Or I can put on some
225-70-16 all seasons.

If you do get the 235-60-16, please post up again how it fits.
(any rubbing, offset, etc....)

Thanks a million.
phil

·
Registered
682 Posts
You'll have no probs running a 235/60/16 tyre on a 6.5" wide steel rim. I've got the same thing on my RAV for my spare (which is normally covered with a spare wheel cover).

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would anyone with aluminum rims be so kind as to measure the offset?

That is to just put the rim "face down", take 2 rules, put one of the lip of the rim, and measure distance from that to where the studs go.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Studs go? You mean the part that touches the hub assembly right? That flat part INSIDE the rim. On stock it is 5, 7/16" just eyeballin' it. Exactly 1/4" different than my steel ones that work just fine as well. (5, 3/16") Keep in mind that I just measured with a tape and a plank across the top so it's probably out by a couple of thow. I'm also a carpenter and as the saying goes anywhere within a foot is close tolerances. :lol:

The point here "Mini" is that you can go with 235 on your steelies just fine. If you want mags then find some that fit, period.

Good luck. check out the ones I have in my album. Works for me just fine. My steelies are Highlander wheels.

Later. M. :D

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Aside from how big of a tire one can fit on a RAV, have you considered the added weight and tire diameter differences prior to making a selection? Don't get me wrong, I tend to like a tire with a bigger foot print. I've got 285/40/17s on my Camaro and 275/60/15s on my truck (w/295s planned for the rear) because I need it given those vehicles and the modified engines (i.e. my 454 has a tire melting 525lbs of TQ @ 1500rpms).

But does placing a larger tire on our RAVs really make a performance improvement or is it just for appearance sake? For my RAV, I can't say that I need the fatter meat because of not getting traction off the line. The dinky oem rubber while thin seems adequate.

For those upsizing, is it for appearance or is there truly a performance/handling benefit? :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Personnaly I wouldn't put the bigger tire on the steel rim because the weight combo would be more than the same tire on the alloy.

"Bigger tire, lighter wheel" should be the best way to go. The steel rims are heavy enough. 215 is a pretty good size maybe just find one with more of a contact patch instead of going wider.

I agree. Later. M

P.S. there is a difference in handling with the 235 but I have them on alloys. My 215 are on steels but they are there for a purpose and it's not for handling.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the reason I want bigger tires is a few reasons:

a.) The steering is ridiculously light. Wider tires should help.
b.) The gas pedal is ridiculously light also, it is 2WD so all that 2.4 liters of fury go to the front tires with very little loss. Taller tires should help, though probably at the expense of a few MPG.
c.) Bigger tires allow for a better selection, where as 215/70/16 are all passenger highway tires, one or two sizes up offers a bigger selection, even with some A/T tires.

My ideal would to put on 235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler Revos on the RAV4 (as I have 33" on the non-miniRunner) and they are indeed lovely tires during both summer and winter.

I'm afraid of rubbing the front tires though with wheels that are 1/4" closer to the body than aluminums. (I've seen one member here (Becky) has those exact tires, but she has aluminum rims.)

·
Registered
771 Posts
Think your missing the point on the off-set. Wish I could draw you a picture. Whether you put a 235 on your old rims or new factory alloys the tires sit in the exact same position relative to the body of the vehicle.
The flang of the rim will be 1/4" closer inside and 1/4" further away on the outside but the tire will be centered where it's supposed to be. The wider rim that is the correct fit for this vehicle just fills out the tire better. The RAV is designed to take a 235/60R16 and yes others have even wider tires on there. Becky says that the size works for her. Its bigger than I would have tried but now knowing that it works, I wouldn't hesitate to go that big. That's probably the largest circumference I would go though.
One thing is for sure, you won't have any problems with a 235/60R16 on your steel rims. Changing rims to other than factory is something you'll need to do your homework on. Many here have done it so I'm sure you'll have plenty of advise to go by.
Good luck, Later. M. :D

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gotcha. I thought the metal wheels were with a different offset, as they certainly look to be tucked much deeper in the wheel wells than aluminum rims.

·
Registered
3,066 Posts
Minirunner you would love summers on your RAV since you don't like the light feel.
My summers are very soft and grippy. I personally don't like that feel and rather the "light feel". My Toyo winters also a 235 tire where much more nimble when changed running at 5 deg. temp.

If you look at many of the exotic rear wheel drive luxury sports coupes you will see that there fronts are around 235. The rears have a much wider footprint for acceleration traction. I personally would get some alloys and put 235's on them. If not I would put 235s’ on the steel rims.

Good luck

1 - 14 of 14 Posts