Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

Recently, I moved my spare tire down and bought 3 new tires..so I'm driving on 4 brand new tires, all of which are the same model tire that came stock with the 1998 Rav4's. (I chose the best condition tire and put it as my spare.)

...Okay enough of my life story...

Will this rim fit on the tires?

http://www.wheelmax.com/wheelcolors.asp?CtgId=3127&color=Black

Thanks! :lol:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Nope. Our factory RAV4 rims are 16" X 6.5" and the ones that you want are either 17 X 7 or 18 X 7. So the rims that you want are too big for the tires that you already have on your RAV. :cry:

What you need to do is search for 16" rims that are no bigger than 7 inches wide. The rims also will need a lug diameter of 5 x 114.3mm and an offset as close to our RAVs as possible (38mm). You will also need to make sure that the rims that you want are hubcentric to our RAVs as well which is 60.06mm.

Oh yes, another thing. If you go with aftermarket rims, you might need to get a whole new set of lug nuts. If you have steel rims on your RAV you'll be o.k.. If you have alloy rims, then you will need to buy a set of standard lug nuts because Toyota has non-standard Toyota specific lug nuts.

That's about it. Don't let all of this information intimidate you, it's not that bad. I just don't want to see you make any mistakes the first time around. :D

·
Registered
771 Posts
Paint the wheels you have now and save a tonne. Could always look for wrecks ..... either RAV 4 or Highlander. Both wheels fit from 96-2005. (Highlander 00-current). May find some for a good deal and they will be 16" so you can keep your new tires and save another $750.

Later. M.

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Derek said:
What you need to do is search for 16" rims that are no bigger than 7 inches wide.
Derek, why do you say no bigger than 7 inches wide??
I have used 16X7.5 with no problems... Also from looking at tirerack even with the 16x7.5 it recommends using 215/70/16 tires...

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
DJ, you're probably right. :wink: I was just suggesting no bigger than 7" because of the stock tire size. I am sure it will definitely fit on the 7.5" too. What do you think is the widest rims that the stock 215 tires will fit? I would like to fit some 8" rims from a Skyline GT-R onto my RAV. Right now it has the Skyline GT-S rims from an R32, which look similar but are 6.5" wide. :D

·
Super Moderator
1,554 Posts
Derek,

Interesting you posted this, because I just checked on www.michelinman.com website for michelin tires obviously.. :p but I noticed that for the 215/70/16 they say the Rim width range is 5.5 - 7.0

That is quite interesting... guess I was pushing beyond the limits... :eek: guess I won't put them back on my chromies... :cry:

Strange how tirerack doesn't specify a different tire size when selecting 7.5 wide rims.... :roll:

I even checked Bridgestone tires website for 215/70/16 and they say between 6.0 - 7.0 width... :shock:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
DJ, with the type of aggressive driving (handling) that I subject my RAV to; I always stick to the conservative/safe side of any modification. Also, most tire shops will definitely let you know what can and cannot fit on the type of rim that you bring in to fit tires on. They will not put on a tire to a rim that they know is unsafe due to liability reasons.

Also, tire shops will not sell you tires for a specific vehicle that has a lower speed rating than is recommended for your vehicle, also for liability reasons. :roll:

Thanks for the info. to clarify things for the rest of us. :thumbs_up:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HOLY SH**!

I never knew there was so much to think about when buying rims. I thought there was just 15-26 inch rims and each size had one universal thickness. Damn, I'm too stupid for this stuff. :roll:

Guess I'm staying stock... :cry:

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Brown, it's not that bad really. :D Just let us know what you are interested in and we can help you out here. I had to figure all this stuff out on my own when researching about my rims. Plus, most places that you will get your rims will have all this info. for you and will tell you what will and will not fit.

If you have the $$$, then go for it. To me, changing the rims is one of the biggest impact that will give your RAV an entirely new look. Let us know if you need any help. 8)

·
Registered
771 Posts
That's one thing that never ceases to amaze me.....I get people everyday that just think that the black rubber things are there because someone says they have to be there and have some tread on them for some reason which is oblivious to them.

Tire Technology is a entire area of study unto its own. Years and years and I am still learning. As a manager in one of the largest tire businesses in the world I see people all the time come in with the wrong info from another dealer. I have to detox them and set them on the right path. I love it when people say "Wow, I didn't know there was that much involved in selecting tires, thanks."

The wrong info in the right hands can be dangerous. Get your facts before you buy or change wheels for that matter.

Did you know that changing your wheels to larger ones (heavier combination) in many instances will actually decrease your braking ability and handling. Power steering pressure and brake technology are calculated into the weight of the stock tires and wheels on any given vehicle. Changing that will adversely affect your ride. Don't mess with a good thing......If you do make sure you do your homework first.

Later. M.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Marcutio said:
Did you know that changing your wheels to larger ones (heavier combination) in many instances will actually decrease your braking ability and handling. Power steering pressure and brake technology are calculated into the weight of the stock tires and wheels on any given vehicle. Changing that will adversely affect your ride. Don't mess with a good thing......If you do make sure you do your homework first.
Yup. Knew about that one. That is why when I researched possible replacement rims for my RAV, I decided to stick to the stock size as much as possible. The Nissan Skyline rims that I have are exactly the same size as our RAVs (16 x 6.5") and very similar offsets (38mm vs. 40mm). Also, the Skyline rims are factory forged; and therefore, lighter than our stock RAV4 rims. I agree with you Marcutio, do alot of research before committing to a set of rims or tires.

One area that I am disappointed in is my selection of replacement tires. I chose to go with similar Bridgestone Duelers that came stock with the RAV. They had a very similar type of tire at Costco at a good price. I decided to go with them, but have since found out that they are not very good in wet weather. They have a high tendency to aquaplane. So, even with tires, do much research before making your purchasing decisions.

Good observations M. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
682 Posts
I agree with the above...do lots of research before u go for new rims or tyres. Ask lots of questions as we're all here to help. The rims i got for my RAV are of a totally different size, offset, centre bore and are a Ford design but they havent given me any problems. Regarding tyres, make sure you get ones that have the correct load rating. Two of my tyres have suffered impact damage as they aren't of the correct load rating. I'll be buying a new set of tyres soon (255/45/18) with the correct load rating.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yeah...I thought it would be a bad idea to buy all new tires (different) and keep the same rims. I am a car-idiot, but I do have SOME common sence :p

I think that if I'm ever gunna buy new rims, like the DR4's for example, I'd get a Rim and Tire package. I'd do this for two reasons:

1) To make sure they fit eachother perfectly
2) It will be cheaper

Thanks for all your help guys! This forum is awesome!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts