Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1st Gen RAV4 with 4WD manual transmission. I installed the OME lift kit and put on a set of All terrain Hankook Dynapro 235/70s.

What depth of water do you think I can safely go through during a river crossing with this set up? Any value in pressing the center diff lock before initiating the crossing?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Do you have a snorkel?
Water Current speed?
A very risky thing to do. I would hesitate to do it even in my FJ Crusier.

Good luck to your RAV !

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A quick youtube search shows plenty of people crossing rivers/water in 1st Gen RAV4s without a snorkel. I have already driven through 8-9in of water in a slow moving small river with this setup, just wondering what the upper limits would be. Obviously if the water is moving faster this presents a problem. Anyone have input?

Thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
HI,
Have you pictures with OME lift?
I am thinking in by onde for me.
How much is the lift?
What is the reference of equipment?
Best regards,
Gonçalo Veloso

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just because “it can be done”, or you “saw it on youtube” doesn’t mean you should do it. I’d start by locating breather tubes from low-riding components such as diffs, tranny, etc.

·
Registered
229 Posts
@Nomad, 8-9 inch of water is nothing. :) I have a 2dr gen 1 as well. With my stock springs, shocks and tires, I waded through a LEG-WAIST DEEP water (2-2.5ft) to the point that my rav was already getting sideways by the current and the slippery, muddy concrete road. That road was about 800m long, the rav is struggling for traction yet it's fighting.

The water was already splashing on top of the hood. My intake was an open air funnel, not a snorkel, but that didn't stopped the rav. :) It did got some small sprinkle of water inside but just enough to make the carpets wet.

It was a stupid idea to go ahead and "experiment", as it was getting deeper I have no other choice but to move forwards and don't stop since I know how near the ramp was. But it did proved to me something after "experimenting", that this small nugget of a car can take on that deep of flood water.

I haven't turned on the ECT(automatic) that time, so it was really struggling for traction. If the water is just between your head lights and on top of the front bumper, you'll be fine. That point is the limit cause it's already aligning where the air box is positioned.

·
Registered
21 Posts
@Nomad , 8-9 inch of water is nothing. :) I have a 2dr gen 1 as well. With my stock springs, shocks and tires, I waded through a LEG-WAIST DEEP water (2-2.5ft) to the point that my rav was already getting sideways by the current and the slippery, muddy concrete road. That road was about 800m long, the rav is struggling for traction yet it's fighting.

The water was already splashing on top of the hood. My intake was an open air funnel, not a snorkel, but that didn't stopped the rav. :) It did got some small sprinkle of water inside but just enough to make the carpets wet.

It was a stupid idea to go ahead and "experiment", as it was getting deeper I have no other choice but to move forwards and don't stop since I know how near the ramp was. But it did proved to me something after "experimenting", that this small nugget of a car can take on that deep of flood water.

I haven't turned on the ECT(automatic) that time, so it was really struggling for traction. If the water is just between your head lights and on top of the front bumper, you'll be fine. That point is the limit cause it's already aligning where the air box is positioned.

pretty gnarly. what did you do about the water that got in your tranny, diff, etc.?

·
Registered
229 Posts
@Voyager Happily, nothing got in the tranny, diff and anything that has a gasket or sealant, just the carpets. Water came from a firewall hole where the wires pass through. The Rav was able to do 0-100kmh in 10 secs after getting ashore. That I say, was a pretty successful swim. :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts