Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Luxury cars have had these temperature messages pop up since the early 2000's. My previous BMW had that.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Luxury cars have had these temperature messages pop up since the early 2000's. My previous BMW had that.
The question isn't about having the warning, it's how to eliminate it because it pops up after every start if the temp is 37ºF or below, it can't be disabled.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To my knowledge it can't be disabled at the moment. Perhaps in time there may be a hack to switch it off.

Don't get me wrong, it startles me when I'm driving. I'm not a fan of it myself.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
To my knowledge it can't be disabled at the moment.
Just as I already stated, it hasn't changed since the 4th gen, it's a real PITA, but can't be disabled, there are numerous discussions on it in the 4th gen forum. It's no different than the display start up warning screen which can't be disabled or dismissed even though there is "continue" button that does nothing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
To my knowledge it can't be disabled at the moment. Perhaps in time there may be a hack to switch it off.
Find the external temp sensor and modify or remove it in order to disable this message.

Been running with a modified temp sensor for the last 7 winters on my Gen1 Volt in order to defeat ERDTT!;)

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Find the external temp sensor and modify or remove it in order to disable this message.

Been running with a modified temp sensor for the last 7 winters on my Gen1 Volt in order to defeat ERDTT!;)
There are likely consequences for removing the temp sensor.

·
Registered
354 Posts
This is an old problem across many manufacturers. The worst part is when the temp descends through the 37F trigger several times on a drive; it goes off each time!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
My old Subaru Crosstrek displayed the temp on the main display and whenever it hit 37F, it would flash. It was annoying at first, then unfortunately like most irritating things that assault your eyes when you're trying to pay attention to the road, I started ignoring it. That car had another annoying warning. If you had driven for over an hour without a stop, the gas mileage display would suddenly flash "1 H", like it was trying to tell you to take a break from driving. I didn't even know what it stood for until I did my duty and RTFM. An hour, seriously Subaru? I've driven a lot longer than that without stopping. Now I gotta look and see if my Rav4 has a similar nanny. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
354 Posts
My old Subaru Crosstrek displayed the temp on the main display and whenever it hit 37F, it would flash. It was annoying at first, then unfortunately like most irritating things that assault your eyes when you're trying to pay attention to the road, I started ignoring it. That car had another annoying warning. If you had driven for over an hour without a stop, the gas mileage display would suddenly flash "1 H", like it was trying to tell you to take a break from driving. I didn't even know what it stood for until I did my duty and RTFM. An hour, seriously Subaru? I've driven a lot longer than that without stopping. Now I gotta look and see if my Rav4 has a similar nanny. :rolleyes:
Hate to tell you this but the RAV has a similar “want to take a break” message after about 2 hours.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Yes, pretty worthless. I walk my hill before I drive it if the driveway is slick, and I walk across the driveway to the garage, the RAV doesn't tell me the road might be slick till I'm several miles down the road and past the critical part that actually might be slick.

Hope we'll be able to disable it.

Cheers,

·
Registered
244 Posts
Theres a nice coffee cup image as well :) At least it does not flash or beep from what i recall.
The Take A Break coffe cup comes on if the car thinks you have been going from side to side too much. Driving the back roads of Arkansas, mine came on 3 or 4 times a day. On the interstates, it never comes on, no matter how much time or distance has passed.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The Take A Break coffe cup comes on if the car thinks you have been going from side to side too much. Driving the back roads of Arkansas, mine came on 3 or 4 times a day. On the interstates, it never comes on, no matter how much time or distance has passed.
Possible, last time i saw this was on a 12 or so hours drive of 100% highway lol. Specially i don’t use the lane assist.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts