Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so the road tax on our Rav,s here, is now £190 a year, and with petrol at .90 p a litre, how does road tax work in other countries. do they have a seperate tax?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
your not wrong there, just read that the cars with zero tax, there are only 4 in the country..

·
Registered
779 Posts
Here in the US, I pay 4% of the value of the car EVERY YEAR in car tax! Although petrol is cheap here, this can be expensive, especially for those with more expensive vehicles. The tax varies by State. There is sometimes a tax allowance. Last year, where I live there was a 70% reduction on the tax paid on the first $10,000 of the value of the car. Let's hope I see the same again this year!

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
How to avoid road tax: Buy a big 750 Kawasaki, let some a**hole in a VW Golf pull out in front of you, go to hospital for a bit to get legs put back together, join the disabled multitude, get exemption from paying road tax. Easy! Now for the Landcruiser............ :wink:

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
No such tax here in Ohio(directly anyway). Just a $40 registration fee to keep the plates current.

They factor some into the price of gas and such, but gas in the US is still relatively cheap.

And we pay a one time sales tax when purchasing the car.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I suppose that is why we are known as Rip-off britain. i think if everyone went out and got bikes, they would tax those as well.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would be all for that tax. Gas is too cheap here, especially considering USA incomes. Fuel efficiency is rarely factored into buying a vehicle. What's the difference for an average American between a 15mpg and a 25mpg vehicle? About $50 a month. This is not enough to make most think about fuel economy.

If it was expensive enough we'd see normal vehicles on the market, and 3.8L would not be the economy alternative to a V8 :lol:

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The new British road tax levels are now related to CO2 emissions.

There is a new, 'higher' level supposedly to deter large 4x4 vehicles, but if you can afford a Range Rover or Porsche Cayenne, an extra £50 a year is not much of a penalty.

I have not yet discovered whether the diesel RAV falls into the same tax band as the petrol one.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
road tax

consider yourself lucky to only be paying £190. Here in Ireland its 540Euro for a 2 litre Rav4(£290-£300 stg)

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What the heck is a road tax? All our taxes are built into the price of gas at the pump, currently approx .90 cents/litre in Toronto.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
the diesel road tax is £5 dearer than the petrol version of the Rav,

it sounds a much better idea to have the road tax included in the price of the fuel.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
magik said:
the diesel road tax is £5 dearer that the petrol version of the RAV,

it sounds a much better idea to have the road tax included in the price of the fuel.
I agree, which is what happens in France and other Countries. That way, visitors and foreign truck drivers also contribute to the upkeep of the roads.

The other advantage is that gas guzzlers and high mileage drivers pay more.

·
Registered
423 Posts
John-boy absolutley spot on, road tax should be included in the price of fuel. Another thread on Rav4World Forums is about the amount of tax on fuel both in the UK &the US, boy are we ripped off with duty & vat on fuel in the UK.
Clare

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
Clare -
How much % do you pay on sales tax when you purchase a new vehicle in UK. Ours in US is different from state to state with local governments also getting a variable share of the sales tax. I had to pay 8.25% when I bought my new RAV last month. :(

OC

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
picking a Rav from the list the cost is..

£16669..

plus vat £2917

retail... £19587

on the road £20.295.00

·
Registered
2,786 Posts
magik wrote:
picking a RAV from the list the cost is..

£16669..

plus vat £2917

retail... £19587

on the road £20.295.00
If I'm interpreting this correctly, you're being taxed over the original cost 16669 pounds which brings the total cost on the road to 20,295 pounds?
If that's the case you poor folks in UK are paying 20-25% in taxes to purchase your new vehicle and put it on the road!! My sincere sympathy is upon you!! :shock:

OC

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yes, you read it right...there is also a tax on the purchase of new cars, can not find how much that is at the moment.

what with that and the price of fuel, for each £1 spent about 80p is tax...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts