Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just completed a 1300 mile road trip to the Smokey Mountains in my 2015 Rav4 Limited..
I averaged 29mpg running between 70 to 80mph on the highway with some slow speed running in the mountains. I checked the milage every fill up. The digital read out was really close to the actual mpg. Did not run in economy mode as there was too much shifting in the mountains.
Owners complain about the rough ride but the high speed handling was really good. No wandering or excessive leaning in the turns.
With the cruise contol set, the gradiant retard would actually engage if the speed exceeded the cruise setting going down a mountain in order to maintain the set speed. Nice touch.
I am really happy with the Rav's overall performance.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Wow, do you want to trade Rav's? The best I have ever got was 29mpg and most of the time on the road, it is more like 27mpg and that is on the flat with no hills and running about 70mph.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I find that I get better mileage by not running in ECO mode. I monitored the mileage by the read out and by filling up the tank and dividing the miles driven by the gallons used. I am using Amsoil oil but I don't think this would make much difference. I average about 22mpg around home (short trips ect.)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Out of curiosity did you have any issues with the cruise shifting back up into 6th after any hills/inclines? I also don't find the ride so bad and like the fact that it doesn't body roll on every corner.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Out of curiosity did you have any issues with the cruise shifting back up into 6th after any hills/inclines? I also don't find the ride so bad and like the fact that it doesn't body roll on every corner.
I also noticed that after a slight incline the car took a while to drop back into 6th for the first 6 months and now it seems to get back into 6th a lot faster. I have data loggers in all my cars and I reviewed my April data with my Oct data and the difference is obvious. I bought my Rav4 at the end of Feb and now I have 9200 miles.

Frank 2015 Rav4 XLE AWD with 9200 miles

·
Premium Member
1,427 Posts
We ran about 3,000 miles the last week of September.
Through AZ, NM, Texas and back.

Best tank was around 32, average for the trip was probably around 27-29, running cruise at 75 or so.

Had no issues at all. Very happy with the '15 XLE

·
Registered
30 Posts
I also noticed that after a slight incline the car took a while to drop back into 6th for the first 6 months and now it seems to get back into 6th a lot faster. I have data loggers in all my cars and I reviewed my April data with my Oct data and the difference is obvious. I bought my Rav4 at the end of Feb and now I have 9200 miles.

That is very interesting and promising Francesco. That is the one thing that has eerked me to no end. I currently have 12000 km ( not sure what that is in miles without going out and looking. Ps we have snow) could you please elaborate on your data logger and what you notice has changed. Also since I'm sorta thread hijacking I generally get according to the dash readout about 8.1L per 100km (again not sure what this works out to in mpg)on the highway and I just drive as per my normal 100-125kmhr or 60-75 mph. I have done the math when filling up and my display has been reasonably accurate. I'm generally satisfied with mileage but I wish the tank was slightly larger.

·
Registered
201 Posts
All my cars are equipped with CarChip Pro 8226B data loggers. The chart shows the RPM going from about 2000 to 2250 and taking longer than I expected to drop back to 2000. Some of it may have been due to the colder weather in the morning. Now that I have retired I obviously don't have to get up that early and the warmer weather together with more miles on the car may account for the difference in returning quicker into 6th gear.

Attachments

1 - 10 of 10 Posts