Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took Ravage on the first road trip this past weekend. From the Washington, DC area to the Outer Banks of North Carolina ( an Atlantic ocean beach ). I did all driving.

• Distance one way: 464km ( 288mi )
  • Trip time one way: 5:12
  • Fuel efficiency: 6.1 L/100km ( 38.5 MPG )
  • Average speed: 73.22 km/h ( 45.5 MPH)
Problems encountered:

• Occasional heavy traffic ( there and back )
  • Nav unit lockup ( once )
  • Bluetooth audio and data connections dropped ( 3 times )
    Automatically reconnected within 15 seconds
    BT audio was used the entire trip
  • Very heavy rain and thunder storm after dark one night
    Safety systems made driving in heavy weather more comfortable
Successes:

• LED headlights are great!!
  • RADAR cruise control is awesome!
    Although it is annoying it shuts off at slow speed
  • Nav routed me around traffic once, not that successfully
    To be fair, there were no good alternate routes at the time
  • Ride was comfortable
  • Good fuel efficiency
  • No major mechanical issues ( it's a Toyota! )
  • Fabulous beach weather
I am VERY satisfied with the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited w/Tech for long distance human transport. Yes there are a few minor problems but, that is not uncommon with every vehicle.

My satellite radio trial ended the day I left. I tried to negotiate an acceptable price to renew. They would not give me the service I wanted at a price I felt was worth it. As such, I used my phone to play both streamed and local content via Bluetooth for the trip. That worked well except for the 3 quick disconnects pointed out above.

I will be driving it to Canada next month. That trip will be about double the distance but, I will be splitting driving duty with another. I am looking forward to that trip now that I have some long-distance experience with Ravage.
:wink

·
Registered
71 Posts
That's a bunch of great data! Can't wait till we take our road trip.

Wonder how bad economy will be at 75 MPH on the highway for 6 hours.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I wanted to take Ravage on the beach and get some pics with the sun setting to the west and the Atlantic in the background to the east. Alas, the person I was with, was too nervous about getting stuck in the sand. I don't take beach pictures as they all look the same.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We are also on our first road trip in our three week old RAV4 Hybrid LTD. About 600 miles on the way down to FL from TN, got about exactly the same MPG, 38.5. We mostly stayed off interstates, which probably helped. We got on I95 for the last part and the MPG dropped a little. After being here a few days, it has dropped a little more to 37.3 total average for about 750 miles, probably because of short local trips.

We're thrilled with that. Not as good as the Prius we traded, but the ride, comfort, noise level, visibility, cargo capacity, and ease of getting in and out more than make up for it.

Also love the radar cruise control. Lane keeper is also nice, but can get annoying if you change lanes without signalling or when driving fast on deserted curvy roads and using all the road to negotiate lines through the curves. (This thing handles great by the way.) Also like the rear cross traffic/pedestrian alerts when backing out of parking spots. Thankfully, have not had to try out the collision detection (knock on wood).

These safety features are well worth the money. Insurance companies seem to think so, too. Our insurance only went up about $30/year compared to the 2010 Prius we traded.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
rn701, I'm envious you are in Florida. I was there last year for holiday and really enjoyed it.

Totally agree on the safety features. Had a very aggressive driver in heavy traffic change lanes in front of me with about a meter to spare. The collision avoidance kicked in and backed off his bumper quicker than I could. I was a little worried about being rear ended but the safety system handled it well by backing off quickly just a small amount until the RADAR took over and backed off in a more controlled maner.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Love the all the TSS features as well. I find I'm not using LKA - can be annoying. But if I was on a long drive with any chance of get drowsy a little, I would definitely turn it on.

Also love the radar cruise control. Lane keeper is also nice, but can get annoying if you change lanes without signalling or when driving fast on deserted curvy roads and using all the road to negotiate lines through the curves. (This thing handles great by the way.) Also like the rear cross traffic/pedestrian alerts when backing out of parking spots. Thankfully, have not had to try out the collision detection (knock on wood).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ravage is going north of the border this weekend. My son and I are off to Canada for the Grand Prix du Canada this weekend. The trip is going to be about 1025 kilometers each way. I will try to avoid purchasing petrol in Canada since it is likely to be considerably more expensive. Anyway, I will try to record some statistics for the trip.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Took Ravage on the first road trip this past weekend. From the Washington, DC area to the Outer Banks of North Carolina ( an Atlantic ocean beach ). I did all driving.

• Distance one way: 464km ( 288mi )
  • Trip time one way: 5:12
  • Fuel efficiency: 6.1 L/100km ( 38.5 MPG )
  • Average speed: 73.22 km/h ( 45.5 MPH)
Problems encountered:

• Occasional heavy traffic ( there and back )
  • Nav unit lockup ( once )
  • Bluetooth audio and data connections dropped ( 3 times )
    Automatically reconnected within 15 seconds
    BT audio was used the entire trip
  • Very heavy rain and thunder storm after dark one night
    Safety systems made driving in heavy weather more comfortable
Successes:

• LED headlights are great!!
  • RADAR cruise control is awesome!
    Although it is annoying it shuts off at slow speed
  • Nav routed me around traffic once, not that successfully
    To be fair, there were no good alternate routes at the time
  • Ride was comfortable
  • Good fuel efficiency
  • No major mechanical issues ( it's a Toyota! )
  • Fabulous beach weather
I am VERY satisfied with the 2016 RAV4 Hybrid Limited w/Tech for long distance human transport. Yes there are a few minor problems but, that is not uncommon with every vehicle.

My satellite radio trial ended the day I left. I tried to negotiate an acceptable price to renew. They would not give me the service I wanted at a price I felt was worth it. As such, I used my phone to play both streamed and local content via Bluetooth for the trip. That worked well except for the 3 quick disconnects pointed out above.

I will be driving it to Canada next month. That trip will be about double the distance but, I will be splitting driving duty with another. I am looking forward to that trip now that I have some long-distance experience with Ravage.
:wink
Road Tripp, that was a good post the way U listed the events. Thanks for posting.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Ravage is going north of the border this weekend. My son and I are off to Canada for the Grand Prix du Canada this weekend. The trip is going to be about 1025 kilometers each way. I will try to avoid purchasing petrol in Canada since it is likely to be considerably more expensive. Anyway, I will try to record some statistics for the trip.
Welcome to Canada. We give 30% on exchange. You'll appreciate your Ravage more when you see our gas prices.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Informative, helpful post of the kind that makes RAV4WORLD so useful. Slightly off topic I would like to also thank R.G. Grimes,( I hope I'm correct) for his many, detailed and helpful posts especially regarding the hybrid...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts