Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to turn this warning off? I live in Winnipeg, Canada. The roads are icy for 6 straight months, I don't need the reminder every time I start my car.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
None that I can find. The manual says you can turn off all the "pop-up" messages, but you can't.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Add the "Lane assist isn't available under 32mph". I know. I knew after the first dozen times. I am tired of seeing that warning and obscuring the information I want to see on the screen!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
None that I can find. The manual says you can turn off all the "pop-up" messages, but you can't.
Bummer, thanks.

Add the "Lane assist isn't available under 32mph". I know. I knew after the first dozen times. I am tired of seeing that warning and obscuring the information I want to see on the screen!
Damn, glad I didn't get the tech package too then. That would be annoying year round, not just winter like the icy road warning.

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
I guessed that they may have moved this setting to the dealer's side. But nobody at my dealership really has a clue. There's only one person there who's allowed to use a laptop on the car, (if you can believe that), and that person doesn't have a clue either.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I was going to ask the same question. I bought my 2016 XLE in June, and yesterday morning it was 37 degrees, and the warning beep scared the crap out of me... lol... The alert only lasted a short time, then the "icy road" icon was in the middle display. I don't think it alerted me again for the rest of my drive. If that's the case then I'm cool with it...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to the dealer for this problem. Working with the lead mechanic, we found it's not an option for TechStream to edit. Very disappointed. This feature is not only annoying, it's actually a little dangerous. It startles me every time it dings. And why does it use 37 degrees as its trigger? Last time I heard water freezes at 32 degrees. Ridiculous. At the very least Toyota needs to change the temperature trigger to 32 degrees, at best give the user the option to turn this off.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Move to southern California then you'll never see it again :wink

·
Registered
117 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I'm not a mechanic. I don't work for Toyota. I am in no way suggesting you do this. If you damage your car, void your warranty, or hurt yourself, etc., it's all on you. Do your own research before trying this.::nerd

All that said, desperate people do desperate things, so I'm just putting this out there.

Yes, there is a way (in theory), but it comes with a couple of known (and possibly other unknown) side effects. By unplugging the ambient temperature sensor located at the bottom of the front grill, the car no longer knows it's 37 degrees and can't beep at you at random times and tell you to drive safely due to possible ice. I will neither confirm nor deny that I have done this to my own Rav 4 LE. Treat this as a "theory" only, and do your own research.

Known Side Effects: Your temperature readout will no longer show up while the sensor is disconnected. It will read out as "--". Also, if you have auto climate control, this will probably be affected as well.

Those are the only issues I've heard of, but there may be more. I called two dealerships and spoke to service writers and parts department guys and all of them assured me it's ok to unplug it. They said the engine has its own temperature sensors and doesn't rely on the outside ambient temp sensor. Nobody at either dealership told me it would void the warranty in any way to disconnect the sensor. That said, you should do your own research. Don't rely on what people tell you on the internet.

A couple of other notes of caution: The sensor is located in front of a metal radiator grill (not sure the name of it) which contains tiny fins for cooling. Don't touch those fins because they bend really easily (supposedly). Also, be cautious when dealing with the black plastic grill in front of the sensor. It's pretty strong, but plastic is plastic, and plastic breaks. Finally, if you unplug it, you would want to weatherproof the plug which is attached by wires to your Rav4. Lots of water and salt hit that area of the car. Remember, water follows wires and can pool, so don't do more harm than good by wrapping it all up and still allowing water inside. There is a theoretical solution to this which I will go over below. But first, you should watch a few seconds of this video to familiarize yourself with the sensor. I've queued it up to the right spot to see the sensor.

https://youtu.be/WYU6Rmutpjk?t=374

It's from a Camry, but looks the same. The Rav4 sensor is thankfully easier to get to. It's also mounted horizontally instead of vertically as shown in the video.

NOTE
The mechanic in the video uses a screwdriver to remove the sensor from the car and to disconnect the sensor from the plug. THIS SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY. Fingers should work fine and are safer for your car. Just be patient!

How to waterproof the dangling plug (in theory):
Toyota designed the connection to be waterproof. There is a thin rubber gasket that wraps around the plug that connects to your car. when inserted into the sensor, it forms a seal. The ideal way to make sure water can't get into the plug is to plug it into a non-working ambient temperature sensor. I can't think of a better way to maintain the look of the vehicle and integrity of the seal than to simply swap out the working sensor with a non-working sensor.

How to swap (in theory):
1) You could buy a used sensor on Ebay or elsewhere, like a junkyard. Make sure it contains the white clip on the back and that the clip is undamaged. The part number is printed on the side of the sensor. I think it's part #0775005191

2) Chances are, the part still works, so you'll want to disable it before you swap it out. Otherwise, you going to still have a working sensor. To disable the sensor, you could remove the two brass pins inside the sensor which normally would insert into your plug when they are joined. (Kind of like a lamp plug in your house) You could take a pair of thin, needle nosed pliers and remove one or both of the metal pins inside the sensor. This could be done by fully inserting the needle nosed pliers and tightly gripping the pin all the way to its base and twisting slightly back and forth until the metal eventually becomes fatigued and the pin just breaks off at the base. Removing both pins is the best idea, I would think. Also, using a piece of oval-cut electrical tape to cover the area where the pins broke might be a good idea too. Just make sure its thin tape and is perfectly fitted, otherwise it won't plug into your Rav4's plug. That step is probably overkill so if the tape doesn't work, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the pins broke off all the way at the base. If you are unsuccessful with removing the pins in this manner, there are probably other ways to disable the sensor using a saw and some JB Weld. I would try to avoid that if possible.

3) Now that you have a disabled sensor, you'd want to remove the one that came with your car. First, disconnect it like was shown in the video above. You'd now have two pieces: a sensor which is clamped to our car, and a plug which is dangling from wires.

4) Now pinch the clamp on the back of the sensor to remove the sensor from the car. This is pretty tricky, but can be done like in the video just by feel (in theory). Just be careful of your radiator fins. Once removed, you may want to consider storing it in a plastic bag in your car in case it is needed in the future.

5) The next step would be to mount the disabled sensor in the hole where your original sensor was. Plug the dangling plug back into the sensor and listen for the "click".

You should now have the same look and weather-proofness as your original sensor had.

I hope this theory is helpful to those who are desperate to turn off this "feature". Like others have noted, the owners manual says you can turn off notifications, but the menu item they show is not there. This is the only way my research has shown to disable it.

If anyone KNOWS of other issues with doing this, or has a better idea, please let us know below.

A final disclaimer: If any of the above seems complicated and you don't feel comfortable with doing it, I recommend not trying it. Just learn to live with the beep. It's better than possibly messing up your car.

·
Registered
899 Posts
DISCLAIMER: I'm not a mechanic. I don't work for Toyota. I am in no way suggesting you do this. If you damage your car, void your warranty, or hurt yourself, etc., it's all on you. Do your own research before trying this.::nerd

All that said, desperate people do desperate things, so I'm just putting this out there.

Yes, there is a way (in theory), but it comes with a couple of known (and possibly other unknown) side effects. By unplugging the ambient temperature sensor located at the bottom of the front grill, the car no longer knows it's 37 degrees and can't beep at you at random times and tell you to drive safely due to possible ice. I will neither confirm nor deny that I have done this to my own Rav 4 LE. Treat this as a "theory" only, and do your own research.

Known Side Effects: Your temperature readout will no longer show up while the sensor is disconnected. It will read out as "--". Also, if you have auto climate control, this will probably be affected as well.

Those are the only issues I've heard of, but there may be more. I called two dealerships and spoke to service writers and parts department guys and all of them assured me it's ok to unplug it. They said the engine has its own temperature sensors and doesn't rely on the outside ambient temp sensor. Nobody at either dealership told me it would void the warranty in any way to disconnect the sensor. That said, you should do your own research. Don't rely on what people tell you on the internet.

A couple of other notes of caution: The sensor is located in front of a metal radiator grill (not sure the name of it) which contains tiny fins for cooling. Don't touch those fins because they bend really easily (supposedly). Also, be cautious when dealing with the black plastic grill in front of the sensor. It's pretty strong, but plastic is plastic, and plastic breaks. Finally, if you unplug it, you would want to weatherproof the plug which is attached by wires to your Rav4. Lots of water and salt hit that area of the car. Remember, water follows wires and can pool, so don't do more harm than good by wrapping it all up and still allowing water inside. There is a theoretical solution to this which I will go over below. But first, you should watch a few seconds of this video to familiarize yourself with the sensor. I've queued it up to the right spot to see the sensor.

https://youtu.be/WYU6Rmutpjk?t=374

It's from a Camry, but looks the same. The Rav4 sensor is thankfully easier to get to. It's also mounted horizontally instead of vertically as shown in the video.

NOTE
The mechanic in the video uses a screwdriver to remove the sensor from the car and to disconnect the sensor from the plug. THIS SHOULD NOT BE NECESSARY. Fingers should work fine and are safer for your car. Just be patient!

How to waterproof the dangling plug (in theory):
Toyota designed the connection to be waterproof. There is a thin rubber gasket that wraps around the plug that connects to your car. when inserted into the sensor, it forms a seal. The ideal way to make sure water can't get into the plug is to plug it into a non-working ambient temperature sensor. I can't think of a better way to maintain the look of the vehicle and integrity of the seal than to simply swap out the working sensor with a non-working sensor.

How to swap (in theory):
1) You could buy a used sensor on Ebay or elsewhere, like a junkyard. Make sure it contains the white clip on the back and that the clip is undamaged. The part number is printed on the side of the sensor. I think it's part #0775005191

2) Chances are, the part still works, so you'll want to disable it before you swap it out. Otherwise, you going to still have a working sensor. To disable the sensor, you could remove the two brass pins inside the sensor which normally would insert into your plug when they are joined. (Kind of like a lamp plug in your house) You could take a pair of thin, needle nosed pliers and remove one or both of the metal pins inside the sensor. This could be done by fully inserting the needle nosed pliers and tightly gripping the pin all the way to its base and twisting slightly back and forth until the metal eventually becomes fatigued and the pin just breaks off at the base. Removing both pins is the best idea, I would think. Also, using a piece of oval-cut electrical tape to cover the area where the pins broke might be a good idea too. Just make sure its thin tape and is perfectly fitted, otherwise it won't plug into your Rav4's plug. That step is probably overkill so if the tape doesn't work, I wouldn't worry about it as long as the pins broke off all the way at the base. If you are unsuccessful with removing the pins in this manner, there are probably other ways to disable the sensor using a saw and some JB Weld. I would try to avoid that if possible.

3) Now that you have a disabled sensor, you'd want to remove the one that came with your car. First, disconnect it like was shown in the video above. You'd now have two pieces: a sensor which is clamped to our car, and a plug which is dangling from wires.

4) Now pinch the clamp on the back of the sensor to remove the sensor from the car. This is pretty tricky, but can be done like in the video just by feel (in theory). Just be careful of your radiator fins. Once removed, you may want to consider storing it in a plastic bag in your car in case it is needed in the future.

5) The next step would be to mount the disabled sensor in the hole where your original sensor was. Plug the dangling plug back into the sensor and listen for the "click".

You should now have the same look and weather-proofness as your original sensor had.

I hope this theory is helpful to those who are desperate to turn off this "feature". Like others have noted, the owners manual says you can turn off notifications, but the menu item they show is not there. This is the only way my research has shown to disable it.

If anyone KNOWS of other issues with doing this, or has a better idea, please let us know below.

A final disclaimer: If any of the above seems complicated and you don't feel comfortable with doing it, I recommend not trying it. Just learn to live with the beep. It's better than possibly messing up your car.
I'm not trying to be a douche LOL, but doing this is so ridiculous. Doing away with a temperature display that can aid you in winter driving because you can't handle a 2 second beep is crazy.

·
Registered
117 Posts
I'm not trying to be a douche LOL, but doing this is so ridiculous. Doing away with a temperature display that can aid you in winter driving because you can't handle a 2 second beep is crazy.
Thank you for the helpful reply! As a rule of thumb, I think that in the wintertime, drivers should always treat water on the road as possible ice and drive safely. If people feel they may need a temperature readout to let them know it's cold, or an icy road alarm & warning at 37 degrees to remind them to drive safely, then yes, they should definitely keep this feature intact. Better to be safe than sorry. I certainly don't want them sliding into my new Rav4!:shock:

However, a lot of people like me have been driving without either for decades and have made it just fine. There are numerous posts on this forum alone from people do who find the "Roads May Be Icy Drive Safely" alarm both annoying and distracting since they must take their eyes off the road to make sure the beep isn't related to engine failure, flat tires, etc. For THOSE people, it is up to them to determine whether or not they feel this cure is worth the side effects.

IMO, Toyota should have allowed the Ice Warning to be disabled the same way Safety Sense features like Lane Departure can be turned off. Then this would be a non-issue. Unfortunately, they did not and this is the only solution I know of to address the O.P.'s question.

·
Registered
899 Posts
Thank you for the helpful reply! As a rule of thumb, I think that in the wintertime, drivers should always treat water on the road as possible ice and drive safely. If people feel they may need a temperature readout to let them know it's cold, or an icy road alarm & warning at 37 degrees to remind them to drive safely, then yes, they should definitely keep this feature intact. Better to be safe than sorry. I certainly don't want them sliding into my new Rav4!:shock:

However, a lot of people like me have been driving without either for decades and have made it just fine. There are numerous posts on this forum alone from people do who find the "Roads May Be Icy Drive Safely" alarm both annoying and distracting since they must take their eyes off the road to make sure the beep isn't related to engine failure, flat tires, etc. For THOSE people, it is up to them to determine whether or not they feel this cure is worth the side effects.

IMO, Toyota should have allowed the Ice Warning to be disabled the same way Safety Sense features like Lane Departure can be turned off. Then this would be a non-issue. Unfortunately, they did not and this is the only solution I know of to address the O.P.'s question.
I completely agree that the warning is stupid. I also think there should be a way to disable it as well. I will tell you why it comes in handy for me. I use the cruise a lot. I also drive a lot at night. When I hear and see the warning I know temps are getting lower so I won't use the cruise control. If I didn't have the temp display I probably wouldn't use cruise at all during the winter since I won't risk it if I don't know how cold it is. Also I might add that using the whole "taking your eyes off the road" line is a joke. Any good driver will constantly take their eyes off the road. While driving you should be checking traffic around you, your instrument panel for possible issues, you should be looking in all your mirrors and in general surveying your surroundings. Any driver that ONLY looks out the front window is an accident waiting to happen.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Also I might add that using the whole "taking your eyes off the road" line is a joke.
You certainly have a way with words.

Yes, any good driver will be checking traffic around them and surveying the road around them. That is NOT taking your eyes off the road, so obviously that is not what I was talking about. I did not say that I only look out the front windshield. :roll:

Do I really need to explain the difference between taking your eyes off the road to glance at your speedometer, and taking your eyes off the road to react to an alarm sound?

·
Registered
899 Posts
You certainly have a way with words.

Yes, any good driver will be checking traffic around them and surveying the road around them. That is NOT taking your eyes off the road, so obviously that is not what I was talking about. I did not say that I only look out the front windshield. :roll:

Do I really need to explain the difference between taking your eyes off the road to glance at your speedometer, and taking your eyes off the road to react to an alarm sound?
Perhaps your warning isn't in the same place as mine. On mine it lights up in a box right between the tachometer and speedometer. I used to look at it, but after the first 3 or 4 hundred times I don't wonder what it is anymore. The nice thing about mine being between the tach and speedo is that it takes no longer to see it than anything else down there. I can also see your point about not needing the temp reading. I guess taking your eyes off the road to look at that could be a distraction also. In my car it sits in the same box between the speedo and the tach so I don't mind it so much.

·
Registered
1 Posts
🙄 To get a loud warning sound while you’re backing up and have to stop and check the screen in front of you every time to make sure it’s not telling you that you’re about to hit something or that something is wrong, it is more than just an inconvenience of a 2 second sound. It absolutely should have the option to turn it off.I live in Northern Canada where it’s winter, minus 20 to minus 50 for 8 months out of the year. The roads are ALWAYS icy. I don’t need this to tell me that they might be every time I drive my vehicle and distract/stop me from driving to check if I’m about to hit something or if something is wrong. Great option for some people, but it’s not for others. Should definitely be an option.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts