Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Hrm, they don't look that big. I was hoping to get 20''s, but it doesn't make the impact I thought it would have. Hrm.

·
Registered
682 Posts
they dont look that big coz of the style of rim. if you were to get rims with 5 chunky spokes they'd look bigger. that rav now needs to be lowered 2 to 3 inches which will make the rims look bigger and finish off the look perfectly 8)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The pics don't really do it justice, it looks a lot better in real life.... the style of rims I went with are very "empty", and they actualy look very big and open in real life. Rims that have big chunky parts are too "complete" for my taste, almost solid looking, it's just too much for this style of vehicle, and in reality they just look like a big mass of chrome.... the wide open rims like I have actualy give the illusion of a bigger rim. Just my taste of course, to each his own........ as for lowering, it's in the works, but I can only get away with another 3.5cm , that's roughly about an inch and 3/4 I guess. I'd love to go lower but here in Switzerland they are very stirct about what you can and can't do to your vehicle.... the damn fun-police don't let ya do anything! Any part you change needs a manufacturer's T.U.V certificate saying that the part is model specific and recognised by the company for use with that vehicle. And I mean ANY part you change.... and most changes are illegal here, even if you have the certificate..... Swiss laws suck for that... no fun at all. I'm from northern B.C. (canada), and I'm used to being able to do whatever I please..... and never worrying about inspections! I'm trying my hardest to legaly (almost;) ) customise my Rav the way I want it, but it's a slow process with all the backwards laws here. Thanks to eveyone for their comments!!!

·
Registered
682 Posts
Here's CM208's old RAV with 19s on it...the chunkyness fills in the gap more but to each his own as you said. His RAV is also lowered 1.5" in this pic. Swiss laws sound very much like Aussie laws when it comes to modding cars :cry:

H

·
0 Posts
Did you have any problems with new suspension or clearance? Basically I want to know did you just slap on a pair of 20''s or did you need to do any other sort of work on your car?

H

·
0 Posts
Heinznfries44 said:
Just slapped on a pair of 20"s. The rims are 20"x8.5", the tires are 245/40/20. No problems with space or rubbing or anything.... there's lots of room to spare.
Okay, I'm a newbie at mods. If I have 16"s and that's what the owner's manual says to use, do I have to mod anything else to be able to use 19"s or 20"s? Besides get bigger tires that is...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
HawaiianKanaka said:
Heinznfries44 said:
Just slapped on a pair of 20"s. The rims are 20"x8.5", the tires are 245/40/20. No problems with space or rubbing or anything.... there's lots of room to spare.
Okay, I'm a newbie at mods. If I have 16"s and that's what the owner's manual says to use, do I have to mod anything else to be able to use 19"s or 20"s? Besides get bigger tires that is...
Nope, all you need to do is make sure the new 19" or 20 " tires are the right profile. By this I mean the hieght of the tire from the rim to the top of the tread. Stock tires are a 70 series profile I believe, this means 70mm from rim to tread (or 7cm). If you go with 20" rims you will need a 40 series tire (40mm or 4cm from rim to tread).... a 19" rim will probably need a 45 series tire...4.5cm from rim to tread, get it? This is to make sure that your overall tire height with the bigger rims is still within a 7mm +/- range when compared to stock. The idea being to NOT screw up your speedo, odo, and all the other neat gadjets that work with tire rotation. FYI, in case you're not sure, the 70 series or 40 series I talked about..... it's the number you find in the middle of your tire size for example, stock: 215/70/R16 this is 215mm wide by 70mm high, on a 16" rim. What you will want to go with is probably a 255/45/R19, or 245/40/R20........ 19" and 20" rims respectively. Hope this helps, or at least makes sense!! lol peace, J.

PS: the 255/45/R19 may actualy be too wide... I've got 245/40/R20 and there is only a large finger width of space on the inside... 255's may be pushing it just a bit. Maybe someone else on the forum has tried 255's??

R

·
0 Posts
I have 255/60/17 .... They are really wide... I will change it soon to 245 o 235 /50 o /45 and lower it 1.5

·
Registered
771 Posts
Matching O.E. Overall diameter of the entire wheel/tire assembly is important. Get as close to it as you can. This will ensure your computer still functions properly.

(27.1" for 235/60R16) and (27.85" for 215/70R16) this is your margin to stick with. With the 245/40R20 for example the diameter is 27.72" which is right in the ballpark for what you need.

Don't get me wrong you can put as big as you can fit but your computer will be thrown off and you may have to have it reprogramed. (Additional Modification).

Good luck with all your big wheels. Maybe I'll get a third set of really cool ones like you guys/gals. :lol: :lol:

For now I'll stick to refinishing my stock ones.

Question: Do you guys feel a much harsher ride with the "ultra low" profile tires? Where I live we would just bend those all to hell with the pot holes and stuff. M.

·
Registered
682 Posts
no need to have the ecu reprogrammed. just drive slower or faster than you normally would depending on the new od and how much it affects the speedo reading by. the od on my rav is 20mm smaller than stock so i have to drive at 102km/h to be really driving at 100km/h. use the tire calculator work it out.

low profiles will naturally give a harsher ride that the stock balloon tyres. australia has the worst roads of any developed country but we dont see rim buckling or bending due to our crap roads. just go slower over bigger holes and bumps.

·
0 Posts
replacing the front yellow turn lights

on the 2004 models, the front of the car lights is yellow. how did u make it white or clear?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Re: replacing the front yellow turn lights

04rav4 said:
on the 2004 models, the front of the car lights is yellow. how did u make it white or clear?
Here in Europe, the front turn signals are clear. What you need to do is take a look on Ebay for clear front turn signals, "euro style" is often used in the description. The bulb is an amber color and the lense is clear. It's just a straight parts swap once you buy the clear signal housings. Good luck, Jamie

P

·
0 Posts
Where did you get that hood scoop... or is it factory? if it is aftermarket would you mind taking a close up pic?
thanx

1 - 20 of 32 Posts