Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I'd post this here in case anyone is looking for something similar. Up till now I've just had a 200 watt amp connected to two bass shakers under my front seats. Bass shakers don't really add any volume to the sound or anything. They just emit bass that works well without rattling the windows. It is really only effective on those people sitting in the front seats though, so I thought I would try something else.

There is very limited space under my seats. The driver seat is a power one and they both have seat heaters in them, so the under seat space is kind of cramped. This unit measures just about 11" square, so it barely fits between the rails. On the driver seat it pokes out just a tad, but on the passenger seat it will go all the way under.

For an 8" speaker I am pretty pleased with the sound it produces. It definitely adds to the bass of my music without sounding like a 16 year old trying to rattle the license plate off the back of his Camry. I'm thinking of putting it under the back seats so there is a little more room for the sound to come out without just going straight up through the seat. I've experimented with it under the driver seat and pulled it out in the middle of a song to see what it sounds like, and the sound is definitely better when it isn't under the seat. I can see this being perfect for a single cab truck or 2 seater car without much space to work with, but under the seats seems to muffle it too much. The vibration through the seat is a little over the top too. I don't need to feel that much of my music.

Here is a link to the speaker. CLICK HERE I got mine off ebay for $50 bucks, and I'd say that is about what it is worth to me. I had a perfectly adequate system working for me before, but this is a good step in the right direction. Most audiophiles will say this is pathetic and not worth the money, but if you don't want to give up any of your cargo space, then this is a perfectly reasonable solution. It fits just fine under the seat, but I don't know if I want it blocking the heater or sticking out, so I think I'll move it under the back seats. I just need to uncoil some slack in the RCA cables I have running from the factory nav head unit. I'll get some pictures of the placement options for it this week sometime. I just got it hooked up yesterday and was pleased enough I thought I'd start an initial review here. I'm not an audiophile, but I can say from what I've tested it with so far, it is a good addition to the factory sound in my Rav. Nothing too obnoxious, but enough to make anything sound better.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

That's just how it sits under the driver seat. It goes in a little further under the passenger seat because it isn't a powered seat. I still think I'm going to put it under the back seat. I don't ever have to adjust those, so putting it under there will be fine. I just need to route the wiring a little differently and maybe change my RCA jacks for longer ones in case these don't reach.

It has a remote bass control that I could use to just dial it down so my passengers don't get a butt massage all the way to wherever we are going if I just put it under the passenger seat. I'm still not sure if I want to block the heater under that seat and what the impact would be on the amplifier. Winter is almost over so it is soon to be a non-issue. I guess I'll play around with it and put it wherever it sounds best.

·
Registered
158 Posts
that's a lot of wiring for passengers to kick when they ride the back or get in... any way you can install it under the back seats? might be safer there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That's just because I had pulled it out to take a picture of it. The wiring isn't out like that generally. It all runs down the center console and then I take the slack out so it doesn't show or get in the way.

I'm going to look at putting it under the back seat. I'm not sure if my RCA cables will reach all the way back there, so I have to check before I do that, but I think it will be a better place.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts