Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched this forum, but can't find an answer.
I've heard there is an opening in the back of the engine bay that can allow rodents to access the cabin on RAV4 hybrids. Is this true on the R4P?
If so, can someone please post a well lit photo of where the entry point is?
Any recommendations on how to prevent access?
Thanx.
I've already installed the rubber gaskets that close the gap between the bottom of the hood and the top of the headlights.

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
639 Posts
I had to screen off several areas on my Prius, with the Prime I have hardware cloth covering the top of the cabin filter. Another area of concern is the vents that are located in the hatch area behind the rear wheels. I know some people had mice come in that way on the Prius. Don't know if that's an issue with the Prime. Some also say to make sure to set your climate control to recirculate when you park for the night. I did see a post somewhere on screening the engine compartment but I can't find it. Good luck!

·
Registered
2021 Prime SE
57 Posts
Rodent found its way into aircirculation system - expired and reeked - had Toyota disassemble and find and clean - not cheap - but better than feeling you are working in a crime scene.

It happens - this happened with my HRV as well a year or two ago..

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've searched this forum, but can't find an answer.
I've heard there is an opening in the back of the engine bay that can allow rodents to access the cabin on RAV4 hybrids. Is this true on the R4P?
If so, can someone please post a well lit photo of where the entry point is?
Any recommendations on how to prevent access?
Thanx.
I've already installed the rubber gaskets that close the gap between the bottom of the hood and the top of the headlights.
Mice can fit through an incredibly small space, thus it is impossible to screen them out. Thus a better option is to discourage them from getting in. The way to do that is with essential oils, mainly peppermint oil. Put a couple drops on some cotton balls, and scatter the cotton balls in the A/C system duct work and the engine compartment.

Some people say moth balls will also work, but would stink up the car, in my opinion.

We have a mountain cabin in Colorado and use the essential oils every spring when we open it up for the summer. It really works to keep the mice away.

·
Registered
2021 Prime XSE Premium
115 Posts
I've experienced this on my Prius but not my Prime. I zip tied metal screen on entry points like the air intake. Now you've got me thinking that I need to analyze my Prime and install metal screen on anything which could lead vermin to my cabin filter.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've experienced this on my Prius but not my Prime. I zip tied metal screen on entry points like the air intake. Now you've got me thinking that I need to analyze my Prime and install metal screen on anything which could lead vermin to my cabin filter.
I have no experience with this. It seems there are so many access points and so much inaccessible wiring, I am concerned. If you find intrusion points in the R4P, please share well lit photos. Thanx.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Honda sells a product called "rodent tape" that you could use to wrap the wires that those pesky critters might chew. Of course doesn't stop them from getting in but limits the harness damage.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Honda sells a product called "rodent tape" that you could use to wrap the wires that those pesky critters might chew. Of course doesn't stop them from getting in but limits the harness damage.

Thanx. The wires I'm concerned about would be inaccessible to me unless I disassemble a lot of the interior. Which I'm not going to do. I'm just looking for photos of each of the possible entry points so I can use wire mesh or peppermint oil spray.

·
Registered
655 Posts

Why didnt they apply this at the factory? :mad:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Why didnt they apply this at the factory? :mad:
They started using a more "green" insulation on the wiring that contained soy, I believe. The rodents found the wires tasty. This was not discovered until vehicles were in the field, so the tape was a solution.

·
Registered
9,162 Posts
Is there some sort of government requirement that rodent attractive soy insulated wiring be used on vehicles? Rodent problems involving soy insulated wiring in RAV4s have been taking place for several model generations with multiple owner complaints and even class action lawsuits. Seems that by now car makers could have switched back to plastic/rubber based insulation. Also seems ridiculous that for example Honda sells a supposedly rodent repellent tape which is a hassle for owners to apply when the practical preventative remedy should be easily used.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime SE
103 Posts
This is very timely as I just saw this scampering across my dash. :mad:
Never had this problem before, despite much older car in same location for decades.
HOW DO I GET IT OUT OF MY CAR?
Automotive side-view mirror Car Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive mirror

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime SE
103 Posts
I am currently sitting in the dark in the back seat, both front windows open, waiting for it to show its little furry face. Then I’m going to swipe it out the window with my ice scraper.
So far, mouse 2, me 0.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Put some food on the dash, or better yet mouse pellets. He'll yet thirsty and die somewhere else.
Aries Rabbit Felidae Font Sheep

·
Registered
2019 Hybrid Limited
178 Posts
Peanut butter and a trap.....you obviously have no experience with mice if you think you're going to swipe a mouse out the window with an ice scraper......
It's not going to show up at all with you sitting in the back seat lol.

·
Registered
526 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Um, I SAW it? Several times. Definitely a mouse, maybe two as I was also hearing noises.
I meant there probably wasn't any water in your car.
Peanut butter and a trap might work. Then you have to throw out the trap and the mouse.
What ever works best. Good luck.

·
Registered
196 Posts
We like these alot. Easy to setup, easy to clean, safe and not messy. We have a shed and a sugar shack in a rural area. I have several of these that are more than 10 years old.
Rectangle Font Gadget Technology Electronic device

dp

1 - 20 of 33 Posts