Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Rodent Problems? Putting Glue Traps in the Engine Compartment Will Solve the Problem

487 10
We live in the country, park outside, and have lots of rodents around. Twice they destroyed the wiring in our old Hyundai (no, rodent damage is not a Toyota-specific problem). Now we have a Rav4 Prime. We tried ultrasonic devices flashing lights, and peppermint oil and other sprays under the hood. That did not work. But now I use duct tape to affix a glue trap under the hood on each side, all the way up toward the passenger compartment so that it is almost under the windshield. There is a little shelf there in the corner that mice love to use. Tape it down well and it won't come loose and fly around the engine compartment. In four months I have caught four mice. Glue traps are brutal, but they work.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
362 Posts
Entire length if I have to be away for days or both sides of the front wheels when I need in and out quick. I figured that most of these rodents are climbing into the engine bay via the front wheels since most of the underside is covered in plastic.

Interesting! Do you place under the entire length of your car or only under the engine compartment?

· Registered
2021 Rav 4 XLE gas engine
1,992 Posts
I figured that most of these rodents are climbing into the engine bay via the front wheels since most of the underside is covered in plastic.
They get into the engine compartment through the big opening in the plastic splash guards right behind the engine where the exhaust down pipe exits. They can't get into engine bay through the front wheel wells unless they chew through the liners. Once in the engine compartment they get into the cabin through the plastic duct work and louvres below the windshield and then into the cabin air filter.

· Registered
362 Posts
They get into the engine compartment through the big opening in the plastic splash guards right behind the engine where the exhaust down pipe exits. They can't get into engine bay through the front wheel wells unless they chew through the liners. Once in the engine compartment they get into the cabin through the plastic duct work and louvres below the windshield and then into the cabin air filter.
they can get inside the wheel and climb the control arms. There is an opening right there where they can get in. There are many openings, but most likely they will look at an opening closest to the engine because that's where they detect the source of heat. To make things worse, they have a nice home and plenty of food (wires). I have cameras around my car and I can tell you that rabbits, racoons, mice, and the neighborhood stray cat would hang out by my car and under my car. Now they just stay the heck out.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
I can tell you that rabbits, racoons, mice, and the neighborhood stray cat would hang out by my car and under my car. Now they just stay the heck out.
I use Tomcat, and Harris peppermint repellent sprays throughout the engine compartment on a weekly basis. I also use naphthalene mothballs in nylon socks in the engine bay (removed when driving). I also have multiple rat traps and poison under the RAV and throughout the carport. I have not had any damage for the last year with these preventative measures. I live in a fir and oak forest in the PNW. My traps under the RAV have caught ground squirrels, large grey squirrels, chipmunks, field rats and even a large woodchuck! I will research your spiky cat mats.

· Registered
362 Posts
I had peppermint bags in the engine bay at one point. I did pour rabbit, squirrel repellent under the car, but those did not seem to work as I saw rabbits and mice not mind at all. I considered protecting all my wiring harnesses with spicy tape that Honda sells, which supposedly repels rodents, but apparently it is a hit or miss from reading online reviews. I have been trying to stay away from spraying anything to any car parts simply because I worry that those will have negative effects on the car parts. Plus a lot of these repellent products just stink. Peppermint oil smells great, but inhaling it can have adverse health effects. It is very strong and corrosive to certain materials. I am just afraid to spray on my RAV4.

· Registered
1,992 Posts
I have been trying to stay away from spraying anything to any car parts simply because I worry that those will have negative effects on the car parts.
I agree but the Harris is specifically made and advertised to be sprayed on auto wiring. Tomcat is NOT but many do use it--I only spray Tomcat on the hoodliner. Also, rodents chewing on wires and hoses and insulation is worse than any damage sprays could do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts