Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Wow, I'm not usually a fan of oversized rims, but that looks pretty sharp...nicely done.

As far as a spare, you should be able to run a 16" spare as long as the overall diameter of the tire is the same. There's nothing worse for your driveline, especially a limited slip type system if you have two tires of different diameters...

If you check the tire specs on the Tire Rack's website, you'll easily find the diameter info...

Bogatyr

·
Registered
90 Posts
Wassup Mo... long time no chat. 18s looking sharp there man. Nice work. Keep it up.

BTW, in the 'Off Topic' section under the 'Spring Break Plans' thread check out the "goods"... :)

R

·
0 Posts
i went with 19"s with 245/40 tires. went with axis mod7 rims, 2" lip on front. 3" lip on rear. will post picture later this summer after paint job.

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments guys! I still have the stock 16" alloy as the spare. The OD of the new tyres is 15mm smaller then the OD of the stock tyres. Since we bought the car new in 96 we have never had a puncture so hopefully i wont have one in the future. What i'm gonna do is buy a good 2nd hand 235/60/16 tyre and use that for my spare. The OD of my new tyres is only 4mm more than the OD of the 235/60/16 tyre :D

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got some custom made 70mm Toyota centre caps for my new rims today. Looks much better than bare silver centre caps and definitely a whole lot better than having Ford centre caps. Next 18" wheel/tyre related mod is a set of Toyota wheel arch flares to make the front tyres legal and to give the RAV a beefier look 8)

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sorry, they are stick on logos, not actual centre caps. the centre caps had ford logos on them which i removed and my tyre place had custom 70mm toyota stick on logos made up which i could stick onto the blank centre caps. they had to be custom made as there aren't any 70mm toyota centre caps/logos in existence. if you want i can have these made up for you...just let me know the diameter and i'll find out a price for you :)

A

·
0 Posts
Whoa, that's some serious bling you got there :D . I'm actually thinkin about gettin the same for my 05 rav4. I just want to give it a meaner accent. What about spare tire? Can 18" fit in the spare tire spot or not? :( Let me know, please.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Akiliz said:
Whoa, that's some serious bling you got there :D . I'm actually thinkin about gettin the same for my 05 RAV4. I just want to give it a meaner accent. What about spare tire? Can 18" fit in the spare tire spot or not? :( Let me know, please.
I don't see why not. the rims may be 2 inches bigger, but the rubber is 2 inch smaller. So the wheel is actually the same size.

A

·
0 Posts
That looks well sharp.

Guess the only issue fitting 18's etc as a spare may be the curve of the rear door if the tyre profile has a squarer shoulder - should be possible to make a spacer to give some clearance though ...

Now where's my catalogue for new wheels ... :)

R

·
0 Posts
best place for stock 16" alloys?

better places than ebay for some stock 16" rav4 wheels for a 1996? Thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
for sale by chance??

I'm in N. Calif. or WA Pac NW. Let me know if you want to sell them!! Thanks!

R

·
0 Posts
where to get these wheels?

Anyone know where to get alloys that look like this for a '96 rav in like 16" or 17" sizes?? Thanks!!

·
Registered
392 Posts
Mohit,

Did you notice any change in acceleration, handling and braking with your bigger wheels and tires? I'm curious...

·
Registered
682 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I havent noticed any negative changes in acceleration or braking. Braking and handling have improved due to the incresed width (plus silica compound tyres help with grip as well). The steering has firmed up a bit when turning/cornering which i actually like and the car goes thru corners with more poise. The ride is a bit firmer/harsher than before due to the lower profile tyres but i was already used to this as my rav is lowered.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts