Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Boy that roof of ours is pretty weak...especially the midsection between the roofrack. I stood on it lightly (I weigh 145lb), and it caved in! it's happened before, but usually it bounces right back up. This time it stayed and now I have this huge dent! Suction cups? Any suggestions on how to pop that baby back up? I tried caving in the sections closest too it, hope it caved in part would bounce up, but no luck.

Why was i standing on the roof?...retrieving a football that got stuck high up in a tree.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Plunger

zoomie,

OK, Im not going to ask how it happened the first time?
But, it sounds like one to many times... I think your on the right track about using suction cups.

This might sound hell'a funny.

How about a good old trusty toilet plunger. :lol:

Ravon~* 8)

T

·
0 Posts
take off your room liner (interior and you should be able to see bare metal and just push it up... um... i still wonder why do people sit on their car?? if ur car does have metal exterior like 198x cars.... don't sit on it.... if you wanna get up high, stand on the roof rack... at least thats designed to withhold some weight.

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Zoomie, what is happening to your RAV? :cry: I just read your other post about your parents having an accident in your RAV. And now, your roof is caved in? :shock:

One suggestion that I heard may work with big dents is using dry ice to pop it back out. Never tried it before, so I don't know if it works or not. You might want to do some research on it first though. Good luck. :D

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
PROBLEM SOLVED:

Toilet plunger worked like a charm - 1st try, and it took approximately .3 seconds.

Ravon: Thanks for the tip! Friend suggested the same method. I think both of you were kidding, but it actually worked. Oversize suction cup.

Ultima: Your suggestion would have been plan B. and you're right about the roofrack being designed for weight. I should have known. I was avoiding that b/c i figured it was delicate for some reason. stupid me.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
OMG you guys!!! This posting has made me laugh so hard LOL!!! :lol:. Toilet plunger???!!! LOL!! :lol: Kicking it from the inside???!!! LOL!!:lol:

Now you know next time zoomie... Don't stand on the roof for your sake!!! :wink:

·
Registered
72 Posts
ultima16888 said:
if you wanna get up high, stand on the roof rack... at least thats designed to withhold some weight.
Anyone heard of a clever device that's called a ladder? I would NEVER ever stand on the car's external panels.

E

·
0 Posts
BTW, be careful about roof racks. The stock crossbars (plastic?) have a certain weight limit... good for skis and bikes, but I don't know about withstanding the weight of an adult person. That's why certain aftermarket roof cargo boxes (etc.) require aftermarket crossbars.

·
Registered
191 Posts
"outside the box"

Hey zoomie,

With all honesty, that was the first thing that came to mind.
I work in R&D and we're trained to think "outside the box" :idea:

Im glad everything worked out.

Ravon~* 8)

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Smelly: tell me about this "ladder" thing you are refering to? Do you mean that large heavy thing that isn't tall enough to reach anything? That thing that requires someone else to hold so that I don't fall over? That thing in our dirty garage that's tough to access? I've never heard of anything like that.

EHinthe604: my roofrack does have crossbars, but you're right - it may not hold the weight for too long.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Years ago my uncle used a toilet plunger to pop out a large dent in his Mazda 626. That would have been my suggestion here too so glad someone else mentioned it and it worked.

One thing I learned from having work done at a body shop is that metal will remember its original shape for a while but not forever. Could explain why it wasn't so easy to pop the roof dent back out as it was before.

·
Registered
214 Posts
zoomie said:
PROBLEM SOLVED:
Ok, so now that we've learned the metallic stress tolerances for thin sheet metal, we're not going to do this again, are we?

(this is going to make a great story to tell your grandkids, unless they ask you "Grampa, what's a car?")

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Mohit said:
theres a reason why i've never seen anyone standing on the roof of their car :roll:
Agreed, at least anyone sober. Hee hee :lol:

Zoomie, I am glad you got it solved. But don't do that again. :wink:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
RAV4Don said:
Mohit said:
theres a reason why i've never seen anyone standing on the roof of their car :roll:
Agreed, at least anyone sober. Hee hee :lol:

Zoomie, I am glad you got it solved. But don't do that again. :wink:
After realizing that i can fix it, i will DEFINITELY be doing it again. I used to stand on top of my car all the time at work. I was working at an architecture firm and was taking photos of the roof of a house we were working on. Standing on the roof gave me the best view and definitely helped. Plus it was fun getting up on there. I used to think the side bars help with that and they do, but works even better is simply standing on top of the rear tire and climbing up from there.

·
Registered
72 Posts
zoomie said:
Smelly: tell me about this "ladder" thing you are refering to? Do you mean that large heavy thing that isn't tall enough to reach anything? That thing that requires someone else to hold so that I don't fall over? That thing in our dirty garage that's tough to access? I've never heard of anything like that.
No, I mean the thing that's usually taller than the ceiling that doesn't need anyone to hold. It's amazing for an upside down country such as Australia...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts