Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey Sig228, haven't heard from you in awhile! :D

That FUBA antenna will work well! FUBA is OEM on many factory vehicles such as VW and probably Toyota too. The only problem that you will face is drilling the hole into your roof. :shock: The rest of the install is a snap and shouldn't take more than 30 minutes. :D Go for it, a roof mount antenna gives the 4.1 RAVs a more modern look to it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
Where can we find the installation instructions :D My biggest worry is not drilling the hole but routing the cable from that location to the radio!!!!! I am thinking Toyota XA or maybe the new RAV4 roof mount antenna as an option.... Comments?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
BAZ, routing the cable is the easy part. :wink: If I remember correctly, I ran it behind the plastic guards that hold up the headliner. Then down behind the B-pillar molding. Along under the passenger door kick panel. Then behind the front passenger kick panel, up beneath the glove box and towards the back of the head unit.

Removing the plastic panels is pretty straightforward procedure. There are either screws holding it in place, or it is held on by plastic retaining clips from behind. Just take your time and you'll have no problems. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi Derek.

I ordered the antenna. Hopefully I'll receive it sometime this week and install it during the weekend.

I plan to install it, more or less, in the same location as yours (Centered and back). Do you remember how many inches off the edge you drilled the hole?

Sig

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hey Sig,

When you open the rear door, approx. 4 1/2" from the trailing edge of the door frame. Be careful when you drill into the roof that you do not go too far with the drill bit and puncture the headliner. I stuffed an old towel between the roof and headliner to give some clearance so that would not be a problem. :D

Also, after drilling the hole; I put a dab of touch up paint to prevent rust. When installing the antenna, I also put some clear silicone sealant between the antenna and roof to make a weather tight seal. Don't worry if some of it oozes out of the side when tightening down, that is a good thing. Just wipe off the excess. Just make sure that there is an even bead going all around. It would be a good idea to put some silicone sealant underneath too for a true weathertight seal. Good luck, and post some picts. of the completed install. :thumbs_up:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Hi again, can you see the cable if you look at the headliner from the inside since a cable was never supposed to be run from under the headliner in that car? Is there enough space for the cable to run to either side of the car?

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
The cable is totally hidden behind the plastic cladding. You cannot even tell that there is a cable running behind it. And speaking for my own antenna, yes, there is more than enough cable to go either way. If I remember correctly, there was so much remaining cable that I had to bunch it up and zip tie it together behind the head unit. :D

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Derek said:
Hey Sig,

When you open the rear door, approx. 4 1/2" from the trailing edge of the door frame. Be careful when you drill into the roof that you do not go too far with the drill bit and puncture the headliner. I stuffed an old towel between the roof and headliner to give some clearance so that would not be a problem. :D

Also, after drilling the hole; I put a dab of touch up paint to prevent rust. When installing the antenna, I also put some clear silicone sealant between the antenna and roof to make a weather tight seal. Don't worry if some of it oozes out of the side when tightening down, that is a good thing. Just wipe off the excess. Just make sure that there is an even bead going all around. It would be a good idea to put some silicone sealant underneath too for a true weathertight seal. Good luck, and post some picts. of the completed install. :thumbs_up:
Thanks Derek.

Supposedly it was shipped yesterday, so I should have it by the weekend :)

I'll post pics after the install.

·
Registered
650 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I just got it installed.

The reception seems ok.

I may get the booster in the future.

Derek,
Good tip on towel between the roof and headliner!

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Awesome Sig :thumbs_up: Now you can join the 4.1 roof mount antenna club. Too bad there are so few members though. :lol:

Eventually, if you want a more modern look; you can throw on a shortie antenna:

You can get them in a variety of lengths on ebay. I have one that is even shorter than the one pictured. You have to admit, the roof mount antenna does give our 4.1 RAVs a more modern look. 8)

N

·
0 Posts
hiya,
would also be keen to do this mod but .... how do i cancel the existing antenna .... how many holes underneath the support ... anuone has pics ???

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Hi Nuvs,

For me, the existing antenna is still in place; the cable is just unhooked from the receiver. I'm not too sure what you mean about how many holes are under the support. If you are talking about how many holes are needed for the roof mount antenna, then it is just one. The antenna has a shaft that goes through the hole in the roof and is bolted from underneath. Just remember to put some silicone sealant from on top and below to prevent water leakage. :thumbs_up:

N

·
0 Posts
Derek said:
Hi Nuvs,

For me, the existing antenna is still in place; the cable is just unhooked from the receiver. I'm not too sure what you mean about how many holes are under the support. If you are talking about how many holes are needed for the roof mount antenna, then it is just one. The antenna has a shaft that goes through the hole in the roof and is bolted from underneath. Just remember to put some silicone sealant from on top and below to prevent water leakage. :thumbs_up:
Hi Derek,
Thanks for the tip ... I meant to ask that if i remove the existing antenna with it's base ... how many holes are there to patch up ...
To complete the mod I reckon (my personal opinion) is that the existing antenna should not show at all ... looks like it was never there.

8)

·
Registered
1,484 Posts
Nuvs, there would be 3 holes. Two for the screws and one big hole for the wire that runs down the A-pillar if I remember correctly. I considered doing the same thing that you are thinking about, but decided to leave it in place for now. :D

I am thinking that in the future, it would be a cool location to mount a GPS antenna or something.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts