Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Roof Rack 1996 2dr Need Help

19K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  eodgator 
#1 ·
So this is kind of doing my head in. I recently purchased a 96 2-door that has no form of roof rack. No crossbars, side bars, towers, any of the other terminology I'm learning.

Along the gutters, it has 4 locations (two on each side) where you can slide the black plastic open and there's some sort of fixed mount that I believe is for attaching a roof rack.

Can anyone assist in pointing me in the right direction for a roof rack that will fit these fixed mounts? Ideally it will be used to transport a kayak.

Thank you <3

#2 ·
Depending on the length of the kayak it might work. The rack that goes there is sturdy enough to hold it. But they are too close together. You would have to use very strong straps. That said, the OEM rack distance between each one is too narrow for a long the Kayak. But hay, you got to use what you got.

The openings are the hood are to hook up the rack. Believe me, its solid enough to hold anything, but to narrow for the length of the Kayak IMO. Why, I had a friend who had a Kayak and also a 2 door RAV4. He had a little problem with holding it down and when driving the wind was a factor.

#4 ·
#6 ·
Thanks, I put a lot of work into ¡Ay, Caramba!

The roof rails and cross bars are hollow and the same shape from front to back and side to side so yes you can cut them down as much as you want. You have to trim the cross bars on both sides equally to keep the curvature right.

You do have to drop the head liner and drill through the roof to do this, a great opportunity to upgrade the headliner. Make sure you seal it up good after installing the rack, don't put the headliner back in until you test it well that you don't have any leaks.

Another advantage, is that you should be able to pick them up at a local salvage yard for $50 US or less. The Blazer, Jimmy and several others use the same rack but you can use a different one, just look around at what you like. The RAV4 roof is fairly flat so you have to get one for a flat roof. Another consideration is that those grooves in the roof are not parallel to each other. You have to carefully measure so that the rack is over those grooves as much as possible because the roof is reinforced along that area. Cut the cross bars exactly the same and put them both on the rails, place the assembly on the roof where you want it, straighten everything out, securely tape it in place, and then mark the spots for one hole in the front and rear mounts. Temporarily place a bolt in it hold it in place while you mark the other bolt locations.

Let us know what you decide and post pictures. Update your profile and add a signature block with a description of your RAV4, start an album or two and you can post photos to the album and then link them to any thread multiple times and not use your limited photo ration. Start a grade to keep track of your maintenance and mods.

#8 ·
Following up on the roof rack situation.....I have a problem.
I purchased my 1996 JDM 3 door, and included was an OEM rack with the clips- all dis-assembled.
Cannot figure how to attach it to the car, tried several ways. I know there is a cam which tightens the clips into the slots, but I am not having any luck.
Can someone please explain the orientation of the pieces before I go crazy.
A diagram might help.......Thanks.

#9 ·
I purchased my 1996 JDM 3 door, and included was an OEM rack with the clips- all dis-assembled.
Cannot figure how to attach it to the car, tried several ways. I know there is a cam which tightens the clips into the slots, but I am not having any luck.

If you can, place some photos or make a clip and post it on you tube to have a look.:nerd

#10 ·
So this is kind of doing my head in. I recently purchased a 96 2-door that has no form of roof rack. No crossbars, side bars, towers, any of the other terminology I'm learning.
Along the gutters, it has 4 locations (two on each side) where you can slide the black plastic open and there's some sort of fixed mount that I believe is for attaching a roof rack.
Can anyone assist in pointing me in the right direction for a roof rack that will fit these fixed mounts? Ideally it will be used to transport a kayak.
Thank you <3

Search in classifieds or auctioning sites for the following part numbers:
00444-42000 (with lock cylinder)
PT444-42000 (with lock cylinder)

PZ403-X9610-GA (with lock cylinder)
PZ403-X9611-GA (without lock cylinder)

Before ordering, verify that everything in the following picture is included (2 roof bars, 4 rubber pads, 4 mounting clips and at least one key):

(https://www.rav4world.com/forums/me...icture51263-roof-bars-complete-parts-list.jpg)

The following link contains helpful pictures along with the official installation manual:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/4677187/

Also, note that one of the racks is marginally shorter than the other. That one goes to the rear slots, the longer one to the front slots:
(https://www.rav4world.com/forums/me...ms-8706-picture51265-roof-bars-front-rear.jpg)

EDIT: Another documented option for those willing to drill their roofs :eek::
http://www.evnut.com/rav_rack.htm

#11 ·
Search in classifieds or auctioning sites for the following part numbers:
00444-42000 (with lock cylinder)
PT444-42000 (with lock cylinder)

PZ403-X9610-GA (with lock cylinder)
PZ403-X9611-GA (without lock cylinder)

Before ordering, verify that everything in the following picture is included (2 roof bars, 4 rubber pads, 4 mounting clips and at least one key):

(https://www.rav4world.com/forums/me...icture51263-roof-bars-complete-parts-list.jpg)

The following link contains helpful pictures along with the official installation manual:
https://www.drive2.ru/l/4677187/

Also, note that one of the racks is marginally shorter than the other. That one goes to the rear slots, the longer one to the front slots:
(https://www.rav4world.com/forums/me...ms-8706-picture51265-roof-bars-front-rear.jpg)

EDIT: Another documented option for those willing to drill their roofs :eek::
Rav Rack

Excellent reference Mick Hatzo, way to go. Well, there you have it. No more, no less. Now it's a question of who has one for sale.

#16 ·
Just to add my 2c. I drove 5 hours round trip the other day in Aus to pick up an original set of roof racks for my 3 door. They're sitting in the garage now with a fresh coat of paint drying on them. I'm really pleased I was able to find an original Toyota set.

I may want to carry a kayak and I've thought about how close together the bars are. My suggestion would be to tether the rear of the kayak to the two tow hooks under the rear of the Rav with rope, and do the same at the front. That should significantly reduce the chances of it being caught by the wind and putting undue strain where it's strapped to the racks.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
I am using a set of Yakima kayak saddles on my Rav roof rack with ratchet straps with a line tied off to the front and trailer hitch bar at the back for safety. If anything comes loose my 13' Kayak still won't fall off.
I drive 2,500 miles from Toronto to Florida and never had a problem. Loading and unloading if fine with the back door open, just put the front of the kayak in the rear bracket and slide it on

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.