Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just installed roof rails and a roof rack. I'm going to see if it affects my MPG much. I inherited this Rav from my wife and it already had a grill guard so I don't know what kind of real world mpg it got before the grill guard. Most of my miles are highway miles.

Here's what mpg I've been getting going back 4 fill-ups. i fill it up once a week since I have a lot of commuting to do.

1. 25.90 mpg
2. 24.67 mpg
3. 26.26 mpg
4. 26.75 mpg

I expect to not see any significant changes in the next 4 fill-ups. See you guys next week for the first update.

*Update

Here's my first fill up after my roof rack installation. As with my 4 fill ups before, I also waited til my gas light to come on for a few miles before refueling.

1. 26.36 mpg - So far, it doesn't seem like this roof rack affected my mpg. 75% of my travels is on the highway so you'd figure the wind force would have more affect on my car with the roof rack.

*Update 2 - 5/5/2016
2. 25.20 mpg - Not too bad considering I had a lead foot this past week.

*Update 3 - 5/13/2016
3. 24.9 mpg - Hmmm...mpg is on a downward slope but if you look at my pre-roof rack mpg, you can see I had a week where I got only 24.67 mpg. So, this week's mpg isn't my lowest. I'm curious what the next week's mpg will be.

*Final update - 5/20/2016
4. 26.97 mpg - Wow!

Attachments

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
my commute is mostly 70mph on highways 1 hour to work and 1 hour home. I didn't really notice noise with my rack but then again it's only been day 1. maybe I'll notice more tomorrow.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Didn't affect my fuel economy much but wind noise went up quiet a bit because of aftermarket sunroof installed by previous owner. I am thinking about getting my roof cover done again with proper noise seal. Current one has holes and I can't find a place who would do that.
I also put the BF Goodrich all terrain tires so I can't really look at the fuel economy. LOL

I never got better than 22mpg even when I bought this vehicle without luggage rack and these tires. It is a 5 speed stick shift. Never understood.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Maybe I have less wind noise because my roof rack is lower and closer to the roof? I really don't notice a difference after installing it. The car does feel heavier to me though and feels like it's handling a bit differently. Yes, dallas traffic is crazy

·
Registered
412 Posts
Maybe I have less wind noise because my roof rack is lower and closer to the roof? I really don't notice a difference after installing it. The car does feel heavier to me though and feels like it's handling a bit differently. Yes, dallas traffic is crazy
You don't hear anything because you have one solid roof with no sunroof.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Final update - this time I got 26.97mpg! Wow I almost can't believe it! I didn't do anything different and this is my work car so I take the same route everyday so the speeds and distance have pretty much been the same between all my fill ups. On weekends I drive my other car. Looks like my roof rack isn't really affecting my mpg. Guess I'll continue to leave it on.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I just did a 600 mile drive and got 25.6 MPG. Factors:

AWD (my FWD 4.1 would typically get 4 MPG more);
A/C on about 50% of the time;
Mostly rolling hills, some fairly flat conditions;
Posted speed limits mostly 70 and 75 MPH :wink;
Heavy traffic roughly 30% of the time (so couldn't optimize fuel use);
About a half hour stuck in a backup;
Roof rack not installed;
Tires at 33 psi (cold);
Recent new air filter and spark plugs;
Regular unleaded fuel;
Warm/dry weather, mostly.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I just installed roof rails and a roof rack. I'm going to see if it affects my MPG much. I inherited this Rav from my wife and it already had a grill guard so I don't know what kind of real world mpg it got before the grill guard. Most of my miles are highway miles.

Here's what mpg I've been getting going back 4 fill-ups. i fill it up once a week since I have a lot of commuting to do.

1. 25.90 mpg
2. 24.67 mpg
3. 26.26 mpg
4. 26.75 mpg

I expect to not see any significant changes in the next 4 fill-ups. See you guys next week for the first update.

*Update

Here's my first fill up after my roof rack installation. As with my 4 fill ups before, I also waited til my gas light to come on for a few miles before refueling.

1. 26.36 mpg - So far, it doesn't seem like this roof rack affected my mpg. 75% of my travels is on the highway so you'd figure the wind force would have more affect on my car with the roof rack.

*Update 2 - 5/5/2016
2. 25.20 mpg - Not too bad considering I had a lead foot this past week.

*Update 3 - 5/13/2016
3. 24.9 mpg - Hmmm...mpg is on a downward slope but if you look at my pre-roof rack mpg, you can see I had a week where I got only 24.67 mpg. So, this week's mpg isn't my lowest. I'm curious what the next week's mpg will be.

*Final update - 5/20/2016
4. 26.97 mpg - Wow!
Thanks for the info on mpg , I will keep an eye on your mpg with roof rack

1 - 13 of 13 Posts