Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi All,

Long time reader. First time poster. I picked up a new 2016 Limited Hybrid back in Feb. Unfortunately, it did not come with a roof rack Cross bar. I received the cross bar as a present from my brother who purchased it from Amazon. Fairly easy install with good fitment. But I seem to get a lot of whistle noise with the sunroof is up at 45-60 mph. Not so much when wide open and hardly noticeable when closed. I've done a good amount of research and have moved the frot cross bar forward and backwards a few inches. It seems to help, but i didn't want to move it too far back. Anyone else come across this issue? if so, any good remedies? Thanks in advance.

Btw: Love my RAV. This is my 3rd hybrid car. I had a prius (wifey drives it now) and a Lexus HS250h before getting the RAV4. Mods done so far on the RAV: Led lights - all of it :D, front window tint, Auto start, full front clear bra, CURT 2" tow receiver. I currently in the market for headrest TV for the kiddos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Can't help you regarding the noise but I'm looking for crossbars also. Do you know what brand your brother bought you? I see a set on Amazon that's around $55 but with mixed to poor reviews. The same kit is apparently also being sold on Ebay under various manufacturers' names. I'm too cheap to buy the genuine Toyotas. Thanks.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I have the factory ones and experience the same thing. I noticed it mostly when the sunroof is up. Open isn't that bad. I took them off for the winter to make clearing snow easier and was amazed at how much quieter and pleasant having the sunroof in the up position is. Sucks because I like the look of the cross bars. Haven't needed to use them yet so I may just keep them off and aside until I do need them. Dealer charged me like 300 for those things so kinda regretting getting them.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Ditto with open sunroof noise with factory x-bars.

Just FYI for those with OEM cross-bars, be careful if/when you remove them. The rubber inserts in the top & bottom of each U-clamp are not actually glued in - they simply sit in a track. They can easily be lost which requires replacement of entire U-clamp (~$35). Big lesson.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Previous to owning a Rav, I owned two minivans. Both had roof racks with cross bars and both whistled when going down the road at speeds as low as 35 MPH.

One, a Chevy, had slots running the length of the crossbars. Covering the slots with black electrical tape solved the problem. The whistling on the other van, a Dodge, could only be stopped by moving both crossbars all the way to the back of the roof rack, which looked rather dorky and pretty much defeated the purpose of having the crossbars in the first place. (They were a pain to move as well.)

Neither of those vehicles had a sunroof, but if the road was smooth and quiet and the stereo was off, you could hear the whistling in the cabin. It was very annoying (especially at night) and I've been reluctant to install crossbars on my Rav for that reason.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I found they also whistle around that speed. I removed mine since I never use them and if I do they are easy to install. I like my moonroof tilted up to get some fresh air in the cabin on warmer months.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts