Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in need of the crossbars for the roof rack of my '16 RAV4. I see I can save some money by ordering off-brand models on ebay for around $55. Does anyone have any personal recommendations as to a good unit to consider? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Just went through this, OEM ones are only rated for 100 pounds. they look nice but Im not sure how good they are.

I have a pair of OEMs that I purchased off ebay from a toyota dealer for $155

So wasnt impressed with them I mounted my Thule Crossroads instead, the ones with the square load bars......the howling drove me nuts !
One of my ski buddies gave me his Cross Roads for the Aero Bars, only the bars were too short !

So I sold my square set up and purchased the AeroBlades........just the blades were $199

They look Awesome and thankfully they are significantly quieter than all the above.

I think the entire New Thule Set up would be in the $400 range, give or take a few but Id say they are the best option

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
FWIW I installed the knock-off (or are they) crossbars purchased on ebay from the link above and they look great! I do not know the quality of the OEM bars but these have what I'd call adequate quality and great looks. I do not plan on moving them or installing/uninstalling them so I think they will be good. The cheapest part appears to be the latch mechanism but as I said, if you plan on installing and forgetting them I think they should be great. They appear to be plenty strong enough to carry my 75lb kayak.

·
Registered
9 Posts
i recently purchased the "eom" crossbar from a toyota dealership on amazon. PT278-42130 for Rav4 xle 2017. Is this correct? because when i install it, it was short and had to adjust the bar with 2 screws on bottom. By doing so, i feel it made the crossbar weak at that point. I apply pressure with my hand and yes, it was supported by the flimsy part of the plastic. Is this correct?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The distance between the L and R bars increases as you move forward towards the front of the vehicle. Maybe you need to change that bar's orientation more towards the rear. Keep in mind it is only designed to hold 25 pounds on each of the four "corners" so that's not a lot of weight really.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Well even 225lbs won't handle my body weight. What makes these car tenting companies think that their product will work if most SUV's cant handle weight on the roof?

·
Registered
7 Posts
The manufacturer load rating is for dynamic load, ie when the car is moving. There is a lot to consider when determining that rating including stress on the cargo load when accel/decel, taking corners, bumps on the road, higher center of gravity, rollover risk, etc. Take for instance your body weight X when you stand on your bathroom scale (static). Now jump up and down on that scale, and most likely you will see numbers much higher/lower than X (dynamic). There are a lot more forces acting on that scale when you are moving, just like a car.

When not moving, the car isnt subject to those forces. The tents will have a base and additional supports (like a ladder) and will disperse the weight of its occupants evenly.

·
Registered
7 Posts
There is a lot of math/science/engineering/equations regarding static/dynamic/surface area/forces that are hard to explain to the average consumer. If you look at tent manufacturer FAQ's they can explain it better. You really only have to worry about safely carrying your tent in dynamic situations. Static weight is almost is a non issue, as tent manufacturers have made tents strong enough to house 4 200lbs people.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just took off the OEM Cross Bars on my new Rav4 Limited as have no need for them....I know on the new car work sheet they are priced at $350., Be happy to sell these to someone for way less then the cost price....I was thinking about half that price..?? Just a ball-park figure...Anyone interested you can email me...Am in Tucson, Az

·
Registered
39 Posts
There is a lot of math/science/engineering/equations regarding static/dynamic/surface area/forces that are hard to explain to the average consumer. If you look at tent manufacturer FAQ's they can explain it better. You really only have to worry about safely carrying your tent in dynamic situations. Static weight is almost is a non issue, as tent manufacturers have made tents strong enough to house 4 200lbs people.
I understand but since the tent is atop of the vehicle roof that would make 800lbs atop of the SUV. A lot of people keep mentioning the weight limits.

·
Registered
7 Posts
800 lbs that is dispersed throughout a large area (base of tent) and its frame (supports).

Pressure is force per unit area, ie P=F/A. So as you can see as A gets larger, P gets smaller.

In our case,
P = pressure on roof of car
F = people's weight
A = area of the base

As the area of the base gets larger, there will be less pressure on the roof.

Let's take a simpler illustration:
Lets put a 200 lb 1 ft cube on an empty soda can. Instant crush. Now, put the same cube onto 4 soda cans butted up next to each other. The cans will be fine. Increased surface area disperse the weight of the cube evenly so that it will hold up.

Now let's take that single soda can and drop a 20 lbs dumbell from 5 ft. The can will be crushed. And that... is the difference between static and dynamic forces.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Not too difficult to understand. So if your tent meets weight restrictions of the bars then you're good.
A rough pressure for myself, the girlfriend, and the tent on the RAV4 would be 13.5 per foot(?) Sounds like it works for me. I cannot find any info on weight limits for the roof

1 - 18 of 18 Posts