Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I finally installed roof rails and cross bars from a 2003 Chevy Jimmy that I picked up from a local salvage yard for $40.00 US part of an overall interior and roof upgrade.

I didn't want the rails to block roof drainage from the crossbar recess so I filled it with a 1" strip of aluminum stock about 1/4" thick the length of both recesses. They were secured with black ATV and stainless steel screws. After they were in place I sprayed them with black Flex Seal to ensure that they didn't leak.

The rails were about 10 inches longer than I liked so I cut them down to size.

The cross bars had to be cut 1 13/16" on each side (to keep the bow in the bar looking right).

After everything was cut I painted the roof rack satin black and then reassembled. I didn't paint the

The rails were bolted along the now filled recesses; the front end mounting was 5/16" narrower than the rear so that the cross rails would be the same length, that allows the cross rails to easily slide were needed.

I think they look way better than stock, pictures will follow tomorrow.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I'm also waiting for pictures. I also got roof rails off of another SUV from a junk yard. I can't remember which car....probably a suburban or explorer. I didn't do any fancy mods to attach it to my Rav. All I did was make holes where the rain gutters are and bolted it on.

As for the stock rails I think they're too high and when you attach a basket to it, it looks comical......especially on a 2dr

·
Registered
118 Posts
Heres my roof rails. It came with two crossbars built in. The roof basket is just some cheapo from eBay. I chose to mount it right above the rain gutters because of the angle of the roof rails. That was were it fits the best...and it was also a stronger location for mounting.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry I didn't get to the pics yet, I have to move her out of where I'm working on her to get a good photo, difficult to do with the interior stripped.

Putting in sound deadening material, new head liner, ceiling speaker pods, leather seat covers, and an overhead console from a 2000 GMC Jimmy but those will be covered in new threads.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
samanosuke817 those look like the ones I used, they look good. I think it's a much better look than the stock high rise crossbars,

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey where can i get a bulk bar like urs from? ive searched ebay for 98 rav4 bull bar and cant find that style whwre it goes over the headlights.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey where can i get a bulk bar like urs from? ive searched ebay for 98 rav4 bull bar and cant find that style whwre it goes over the headlights.
Look it up using the following: APU 1996-2000 Toyota Rav 4 Black Grille Brush Guard Push Bar Bumper Protector

·
Registered
118 Posts
Look it up using the following: APU 1996-2000 Toyota Rav 4 Black Grille Brush Guard Push Bar Bumper Protector
Too bad you don't live in Dallas. I can sell mine. I've given up on finding the right RAV4 so I've stripped my current one and would like to sell its parts.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I forgot to mention on ebay.com.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts