Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tried to search, but didn't find the exact answer i was looking for.

My Rav4 hybrid has the side rails, i need the cross bars. I'm mostly looking to haul kayaks and possibly bikes (Not at the same time...and probably not even bikes cause i'm not sure how easy lifting them out be) on the roof.

Toyota dealer wants close to $400 for the cross bars. A bit much in my opinion. I found new factory cross bars on eBay for around $180 - Or "oem" grade cross bars for around $50.

Would i be safe getting the non factory ones?

Link to the factory ones - 2013 2016 RAV4 Hybrid RAV4 Roof Rack Cross Bars PT278 42130 Genuine Toyota | eBay

Here is non factory - 13 15 Toyota RAV4 Black OE Style Roof Rack Cross Bars Set Luggage Pair Aluminum | eBay

·
Registered
129 Posts
Before you buy, check the load ratings of the cross bars. I haul two scupper pro kayaks and went with Yakima racks as the load ratings are higher and the bars extend past the side rails.

If you go with factory bars, there is a remote possibility of caving in the bars from impact.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Before you buy, check the load ratings of the cross bars. I haul two scupper pro kayaks and went with Yakima racks as the load ratings are higher and the bars extend past the side rails.

If you go with factory bars, there is a remote possibility of caving in the bars from impact.
Is the Yakima an after market roof rack, or is it the cross bars?

I was looking to attach to the side rails already on the Rav4

·
Registered
RAV4 HV Limited, Prius Prime Advanced
2,087 Posts
$140 seems to be the going rate for PT278-42130 at Amazon and eBay. A number of dealers also sell online direct for around the same price.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Is the Yakima an after market roof rack, or is it the cross bars?

I was looking to attach to the side rails already on the Rav4
I actually removed the factory bars and replaced them with the Yakimas. The Yakima towers clamp to the side rails and the round bars come in different lengths. The bars (actually pipes) slip into the towers. Locks are optional and recommended.

There are other rack makers such as Thule and Malone. Lots of choices using the factory rails.

·
Registered
129 Posts
By the way, I bought the Yakima towers used from ebay. The cross bar pipes are 3/4" galv pipes from HD covered by black heat shrink tubing from ebay. Set up meets my needs as I just wanted something functional. I remove the bars and towers between outings. It's much easier to wash and polish the roof without the bars on.

If you carry your yaks hull side down, you may want to look into saddles. I carry my yaks hull side up and use rack pads to cushion the yaks and to prevent the yaks from sliding around. I tie down to the spare tire with the cover removed and to the hood latch in addition to tying down to the rack itself.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,889 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Inside bike racks

"and possibly bikes (Not at the same time...and probably not even bikes cause i'm not sure how easy lifting them out be) on the roof."

I don't carry my mountain bikes on the roof rack being paranoid about scratching the paint. I haul them inside the cargo area.

There are inside the cargo area bike racks. An example can be found here,
You have to fold down the 2nd row seats.

If you're a diy, you can build your own,

·
Registered
106 Posts
Not to beat this to death, but I've been running the same Yakima towers and 58" bars on a few suvs over the years. Mount direct to factory rails, and very solid. I'm also using "cheap" TMS J cradles with great success. Two pelicans, one SOT, and one sit in. About 100lbs total.

This picture was from last nights kayaking trip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you all for the input. But i'm more confused about which to buy.

Does anyone have links for bars that would work on the Rav4?

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yakima Fit My Car and https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack have a whole bunch of different cross bars that will work with rav4's.

It is hard to decide but figure out your priorities.
1)What weight capacity do you need?
2)What width of bars do you need?
3)What accessories do you need, e.g., saddles, bike holders, etc. ?
4)What is you're price range?
5)What level of aesthetics, e.g., pipes vs aerodynamic profile vs square tubing?
6)Ease of installation and removal, security

Stick with brand names in case you need replacement parts. Ask 5 different people and you may get 5 different answers but look around see what other people are using especially at your launch sites, talk to them.
Google the yak forums and search for roof racks, e.g., Factory vs Aftermarket roof rack - Canoeing / Kayaking
Once you narrowed down your choices, check amazon for their reviews.

There's too many choices to name just one or two.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yakima Fit My Car and https://www.thule.com/en-us/us/roof-rack have a whole bunch of different cross bars that will work with rav4's.

It is hard to decide but figure out your priorities.
1)What weight capacity do you need?
2)What width of bars do you need?
3)What accessories do you need, e.g., saddles, bike holders, etc. ?
4)What is you're price range?
5)What level of aesthetics, e.g., pipes vs aerodynamic profile vs square tubing?
6)Ease of installation and removal, security

Stick with brand names in case you need replacement parts. Ask 5 different people and you may get 5 different answers but look around see what other people are using especially at your launch sites, talk to them.
Google the yak forums and search for roof racks, e.g., Factory vs Aftermarket roof rack - Canoeing / Kayaking
Once you narrowed down your choices, check amazon for their reviews.

There's too many choices to name just one or two.
Price range i would like for it to be cheap as possible, but not suffer in quality.

I'd only be using it for Kayaks as far as i know and i would get those saddle things for the kayaks as well.

·
Registered
129 Posts
A new Yakima setup can be found at Amazon with very good reviews. Railgrab towers with 58" long round bars for $229, no locks. https://www.amazon.com/Yakima-RailG...id=1467861141&sr=8-3&keywords=yakima+lowrider

I felt I could duplicate that setup on my own. I bought used Yakima double cross towers from ebay for $40 in good shape. The newer models are Low rider and Rail grab. These towers clamps around the factory rails by turning a screw. The towers have rubber gaskets to protect the rails. I already had locks from an old Yakima rack.

Bought a 10' long 3/4" galvanized pipe schedule 40 from Home depot for around $20. HD does one free cut. You may also want to cut off the threaded ends of the pipe with a hacksaw or convince Home depot to do two more cuts. HD also sells a gas pipe the same size with a green coating at a higher price. The 3/4" pipe has about the same diameter and wall thickness as my old Yakima cross bars. The towers simultaneously tighten around the bars and rails when tightening the screws.

Also bought 12' of 55mm lay flat (roughly 1.25" diameter when opened up) heat shrink tubing from ebay for around $10. Per the seller there is some shrinkage in length, so I bought a length longer than the pipe.

If you don't want to bother making your own bars, ebay has used Yakima round bars. There are two used 58" bars for $60, Yakima 58 Crossbars 58" | eBay

My $70 setup has worked for years with no problems carrying two sit on top yaks weighing about 50 lbs each.

·
Registered
25 Posts
don't mean to hijack this thread, but has anyone had experience with Thule roof bars? Went to their website and put in my make and model (2017 RAV4 Hybrid XLE), and they recommended a 53 inch long roof bars. Got it delivered last night and took a quick look the 53 inches length sticks out from side of the car quite a bit. Was wondering what is the ideal length for roof bars for typical all purpose use?

Thanks

1 - 14 of 14 Posts