Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may seem like a dumb question, but is it possible to completely remove the roof rack on the new RAV4s? I don't really have a need for it, and I think it would look sweeter without the rack, like the RAV4 X in Europe (or whatever it's called).

The Mazda Protege5 that I used to have came with a roof rack. You could remove the crossbars, but not the rack. I suppose the dealer could maybe have done it. The newer ones began coming without roof racks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok I guess it's not such a stupid question, since plenty of people have read but no one has responded.

W

·
0 Posts
Hi, hope this helps..

1. Look at your racks. Take a flat head screwdriver or anything flat (but strong) and place it in between the rubber seal and the black cover. Then pry open (upwards) the rack cover. NOTE: the area you should be working on is the area where the rack is connected to the roof and outward pointing.

2. Next unscrew the bolt and remove the rack.

3. Replace the bolt (note: shorter ones) and place the rectangle plastic covers to cover the exposed holes.

Those rectangle plastic covers and shorter screws are standard with Ravs that comes without roof rack installed. Since most of the Ravs in US comes installed with roof racks as standard, then you'll have to buy them from your dealer before the removal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for your help. I wonder how much the fillers will cost from the dealer, and if I should just have them do it there instead of myself.

W

·
0 Posts
No idea how much they cost nor the part number. Since the Rav4.3 here do not come with the racks installed, I had to install them myself.

·
Registered
1,342 Posts
Man the European RAV4 sure looks sweet without the tire on the back.

I also like were the radio antenna is.

To your original question, maybe just removing the cross bars would be a happy medium

·
Registered
7 Posts
part numbers needed to remove roof rack

With the help of my local Toyota dealer, I just finished completely removing the roof rack and rails from My '06 Rav4 Sport. It really streamlines the look and makes it look like a car. To remove the covers, I slipped a mechanics pick ( the 90° bent end) between the rubber gasket and the cap and once inside the cap, turn the pick so the end will point up while under the cap and pull outwards to unsnap the cap. Repeat for the other 3 caps. Then unbolt the 8 longer bolts and remove the roof rack and rails. To cover the places where the roof rack bolted up, a few parts are needed from a Toyota dealer. part numbers and required quantities are below

part number .............description ...........quantity required
63185-42020 ......bracket,roof covers ..............4
90119-08C47 ......bolt, w/ sealing washer .........8
75596-42010 ......cover, roof rack ....................4

w/ the roof rack removed I, added some silicone to the bolt holes and bolted the brackets into the roof where the roof rack mounted using the above, much shorter bolts. The brackets are what the covers snap onto. I then added a little black silicone to the underside of the little covers and snapped them in place w/ the arrows poining towards the front of the car and wiped off any excess silicone that squeezed out. It makes for a very clean,finished look to the roof and the covers are hardly noticable at all. Anyways, I just wanted to share this info w/ anyone else wanting to remove their roof racks. It's really pretty easy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I had the dealership take mine off for not much $ at all (less than $40). That plus the parts mentioned by zeeman...really worked out great! I love the minimalist look of the RAV without the roof rack.
I'll post some pix this week.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I posted some pics in my album of my rav w/ the roofrack removed and the small covers that go in the places where the roof rack bolted up. the pics are all from my 3rd floor window. I'lll try to post some ground level pics this weekend. A side benefit of taking off the roof rack is a big reduction in wind noise when the moonroof is open. I can now have it open at highwy speeds with no problems. I used to have to close it at anything above 40 mph.

W

·
0 Posts
Any chance someone might have one of their racks for sale. Toyota does not offer one as an accessory and my 06 Rav came without one. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rav4.3 roof rails

Hi,

I noticed some people prefer their Rav4 without the roof rails on it.

I would be interested to buy a used roof rails / bars from someone who doesn't need theirs anymore. I could trade in the 'fillers' that you need to plug the bare attach points.

Let me know!

Thanks.

·
Registered
72 Posts
So I spent the morning taking off the roof rack and thought I would share my thoughts and pictures with all of you in case you are looking for this information. First, I purchased the following parts from my Toyota dealership for a total of $61.36 w/tax:

( 4 ) 75596-02020 - Cover, Roof Drip
( 8 ) 90119-08C47 - Bolt, W/Washer
( 4 ) 63185-42020 - Bracket, Roof Rack

The first step in removing the rack is to pry off the covers.

Once the covers are removed you will see two bolts. (I had to use a 12mm socket to remove.)

Once all bolts are removed you can then remove the rails and then install the brackets. There is an arrow on the bracket that should end up pointing to the inside of the vehicle.

Next screw in the new shorter bolts with a 10mm socket.

Then snap on the roof drip covers. The arrow on the cover should be pointing towards the front of the vehicle.

Once all four are done you are left with this!

Before:

After:

(Turns out I was missing the center drip molding on the driver side but because it's still under
warranty they are going to get me a new one for free.)

If anyone has any questions, let me know. I hope you enjoy it and I know that I love the new look!

1 - 20 of 34 Posts