Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am looking to install a roof rack on my 2020 XLE Premium and eventually a roof basket and awning. I'm having a hard time finding information on roof racks so I thought I'd start up a thread to discuss. If anyone has any first hand experiences with installs, suggestions, or any links to info, like part numbers, installation guides, sellers, etc. I'm all ears.

I really like the Prinsu roof rack but its pricey and im a bit concerned about leaking issues with the installation. I am mostly interested in this one. Has anyone installed this on a XLE premium??? Would like to see a walk through to see if I'm competent to do it. I've seen blueyota's installation guide but he has an adventure model with the raised roof rails so it's a bit different.

I have found a Thule system that claims(not 100% sure) to fit the flush rails but it's also pricey.

The OEM would be the easiest and cheapest(still $500 from dealer) but I don't think they would work for what I'm looking to do(roof basket with awning).

Then there's the cheaper versions imitating the OEM. Probably good enough for most applications but I'd rather not trust them. And wouldn't be useful for my application.

Prinsu:
Toyota 5th Generation Rav4 Roof Rack/

Prinsu sent me an installation guide but it's a PDF and I cant figure out how to post it. I can send it if anyone wants it.

Thule:
THULE Rapid Podium Foot Pack 460R Thule 460R Rapid Podium Foot Pack (Set of 4): Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

Thule KIT3177 Thule Fit Kit For Use w/Roof Racks Thule Fit Kit Thule KIT3177 Thule Fit Kit For Use w/Roof Racks Thule Fit Kit, Brackets - Amazon Canada

Thule WingBar Evo Load Bars (Set of 2) Wingbar Evo 150 (60”), Black: Amazon.ca: Sports & Outdoors

OEM: I think it's around $500 from the dealer

OEM aftermarket:
ROKIOTOEX Roof Rack Crossbars Fit 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid (Not Trail) Flush Roof Rail Aluminum - Black ROKIOTOEX Roof Rack Crossbars Fit 2019-2020 Toyota RAV4 and RAV4 Hybrid (Not Trail) Flush Roof Rail Aluminum - Black, Cargo Bars - Amazon Canada

·
Registered
138 Posts
Prinsu has a good track record and is very modular when it comes to adding different things to your rig. If you seal the holes properly you won't have any leaking issues.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Prinsu has a good track record and is very modular when it comes to adding different things to your rig. If you seal the holes properly you won't have any leaking issues.
ya for sure. As long as you follow the instructions and do it properly there shouldn't be any leaks. I think I was just worried because I read somewhere else that you have some leftover holes you have to fill(without instructions). I also read something about people having order an OEM weatherstripping to seal something... cant remember where I read that tho

·
Registered
138 Posts
ya for sure. As long as you follow the instructions and do it properly there shouldn't be any leaks. I think I was just worried because I read somewhere else that you have some leftover holes you have to fill(without instructions). I also read something about people having order an OEM weatherstripping to seal something... cant remember where I read that tho
The weather stripping is to just fill the gaps between the mounting points to make it look better. I'm in the process of doing every thing right now.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The weather stripping is to just fill the gaps between the mounting points to make it look better. I'm in the process of doing every thing right now.
Okay so that's just a visual thing for the weatherstripping. Do you happen to o have a part number for the weatherstripping?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Which model?
2020 hybrid limited.

You will have holes in your roof that need to be plugged after removing the factory roof rack and runner parts. I used plastic plugs and black gasket maker for everything since I had them laying around.

Best advice I have is, do EVERYTHING by hand and BE GENTLE when drilling out the 3/8" hole in the rear. Otherwise, incredibly straightforward install.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
2020 hybrid limited.

You will have holes in your roof that need to be plugged after removing the factory roof rack and runner parts. I used plastic plugs and black gasket maker for everything since I had them laying around.

Best advice I have is, do EVERYTHING by hand and BE GENTLE when drilling out the 3/8" hole in the rear. Otherwise, incredibly straightforward install.

Okay so it's pretty much up to you to decide what's best for plugging the remaining holes. Ya it is a very straightforward installation, still makes me nervous thinking about holes in the roof and drilling into my new vehicle tho 😬 that's just from inexperience tho. Probably much easier without having to remove the head liner too! Did you use a step bit to drill out the holes in the rear?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I am also curious on what you did to seal the remaining holes. Let me know when you've done it pls!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Okay so it's pretty much up to you to decide what's best for plugging the remaining holes. Ya it is a very straightforward installation, still makes me nervous thinking about holes in the roof and drilling into my new vehicle tho that's just from inexperience tho. Probably much easier without having to remove the head liner too! Did you use a step bit to drill out the holes in the rear?
I had reservations as well, so I went heavy on the gasket maker haha. No step bit, just a clean 3/8 drill bit. It was very easy to open up the existing hole, just take your time

Also, I ended up installing an extra washer from home depot in the front and rear between the spacer and rack to give it a better standoff. My rack was touching the car in those areas.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Prinsu got back to me and said the recommended, "You can do 2 things. You can seal them with silicon, or use some 3m foil tape to seal them."

So sounds like best option is a 5/16th plastic hole plug with silicone adhesive and a strip of 3m foil tape over top.

Hole Plug 10Pcs:
SODIAL(R) Nylon Round Snap in Mounting Rigid Locking 5/16" Panel Hole Plug 10Pcs: Amazon.ca: Tools & Home Improvement

Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3-Ounce:
Permatex 80050 Clear RTV Silicone Adhesive Sealant, 3-Ounce, Sealants - Amazon Canada

3M Foil Tape 3381 Silver:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hoping that somebody with experience with Thule roof racks can confirm those parts in the original post. I don't know if they actually fit, that's just what was recommended by a website.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do these extra holes come with an increased weight capacity?
All of the holes are just to fasten the roof rack to the vehicle. The load capacity comes from the design of the roof rack rails and crossbars. Oddly enough prinsu doesn't state a load capacity, dynamic or static but I'm sure you cam get around 500lbs up there. My neighbour has one installed on his Tacoma, same installation process, same hardware, and he put a roof top tent and two people up there with no problems.
*However that doesn't mean you should just throw 500lbs and drive off. You have to learn about weight and towing capacities of your vehicle or bad things can happen!!! Check your owner's manual to make sure you're loading your vehicle correctly.

·
Registered
'19 XLE AWD
39 Posts
I know OEM is bottom of your list but I went with some cheap aftermarket ebay crossbars for $100 and then found a Thule Canyon XT basket on craigslist for $200. It's been great. Crossbars are very sturdy and mount into the prefab holes. I can yank around on it and it'll move the entire car with it. I load it up with camping supplies and fully trust it. I too am interested in adding an awning, plan on looking into it eventually and I imagine there's some workarounds for the OEM style bars, so just going to subscribe to this for now.
IMG_2227.JPG IMG_2244.JPG IMG_2268.JPG IMG_2361 (1).JPG IMG_2357.JPG

·
Registered
652 Posts
Sorry - originally quoted wrong question -- "Hoping that somebody with experience with Thule roof racks can confirm those parts in the original post. I don't know if they actually fit, that's just what was recommended by a website. "

Yes the Thule fits. Just go to Thule switzerland website, click on english, and configure for your car. I ordered my parts here in US once I had numbers. Not sure why they don't list it here - maybe its not "approved" or something. The fit kit is 183177 I think (thats what my notes say - again check the Thule Switzerland configurator). From there it depends on which feet and which bars you want - lots of options. I already had an old rack so I just needed the fit kit and I have the old square bars, but you can get whatever you want that Thule makes. Note this is for the non adventure package. Not sure if it fits adventure or not - as I am not familiar with how that rack works.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Yes the Thule fits. Just go to Thule switzerland website, click on english, and configure for your car. I ordered my parts here in US once I had numbers. Not sure why they don't list it here - maybe its not "approved" or something. The fit kit is 183177. From there it depends on which feet and which bars you want - lots of options. I already had an old rack so I just needed the fit kit and I have the old square bars, but you can get whatever you want that Thule makes. Note this is for the non adventure package. Not sure if it fits adventure or not - as I am not familiar with how that rack works. View attachment 151140 View attachment 151141
Was that meant for me? :)

1 - 20 of 50 Posts