Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

Registered
2020 Toyota Rav4 XLE Premium
Discussion Starter #21
Sorry - originally quoted wrong question -- "Hoping that somebody with experience with Thule roof racks can confirm those parts in the original post. I don't know if they actually fit, that's just what was recommended by a website. "

Yes the Thule fits. Just go to Thule switzerland website, click on english, and configure for your car. I ordered my parts here in US once I had numbers. Not sure why they don't list it here - maybe its not "approved" or something. The fit kit is 183177 I think (thats what my notes say - again check the Thule Switzerland configurator). From there it depends on which feet and which bars you want - lots of options. I already had an old rack so I just needed the fit kit and I have the old square bars, but you can get whatever you want that Thule makes. Note this is for the non adventure package. Not sure if it fits adventure or not - as I am not familiar with how that rack works. View attachment 151140 View attachment 151141
Okay great thanks!
So the 183177 part number must be an American thing. The 3177 I posted earlier seems legit, and amazon claims it'll fit for 2019 馃憤
I know OEM is bottom of your list but I went with some cheap aftermarket ebay crossbars for $100 and then found a Thule Canyon XT basket on craigslist for $200. It's been great. Crossbars are very sturdy and mount into the prefab holes. I can yank around on it and it'll move the entire car with it. I load it up with camping supplies and fully trust it. I too am interested in adding an awning, plan on looking into it eventually and I imagine there's some workarounds for the OEM style bars, so just going to subscribe to this for now.
View attachment 151126 View attachment 151127 View attachment 151128 View attachment 151130 View attachment 151129
Those look great! Cant beat that price either 馃憤

Might be able to get mounting plates for awnings that attach to your basket.

Kinds like this Yakima set up

Registered
'19 XLE AWD
@jokenbraw bingo, good find! Bracket looks like it could fitted to different baskets too, they sell it individually :unsure:

Registered
Discussion Starter #23
Prinsu has a good track record and is very modular when it comes to adding different things to your rig. If you seal the holes properly you won't have any leaking issues.
How did your install go?

Registered
Discussion Starter #24
Just a little update of anyone still paying attention to this. It seems that you have to remove the headliner to remove the roof rack rails on all models, not just the raised roof rails like prinsu says. I just took a look at my roof rails and there is bolts that go through the roof that have to be accessed from both sides.

Attachments

Registered
I have the Thule on my Rav, really not happy with it. I have square bars from a previous vehicle. The square bars aren't parallel to each other, so the back one sits basically flat and the front one has an angle to it. Doesn't look good and it's not as secure when hauling flat stuff like plywood. There is also a ton of road noise, way more than my Forester that I took it off of.

Hard to tell in this picture but the camera was "level", so you can see how the front bar is tilted down.

That being said I have hauled plywood, drywall, etc on there, without a problem. I would just prefer a flat surface.

I am probably going to ditch this setup in favor of a Prinsu.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #27
I have the Thule on my Rav, really not happy with it. I have square bars from a previous vehicle. The square bars aren't parallel to each other, so the back one sits basically flat and the front one has an angle to it. Doesn't look good and it's not as secure when hauling flat stuff like plywood. There is also a ton of road noise, way more than my Forester that I took it off of.

Hard to tell in this picture but the camera was "level", so you can see how the front bar is tilted down.

That being said I have hauled plywood, drywall, etc on there, without a problem. I would just prefer a flat surface.

I am probably going to ditch this setup in favor of a Prinsu.
Thanks for the insight, this is very helpful! Ya I see from your pics the cross bars aren't level and aren't parrallel

Registered
I know OEM is bottom of your list but I went with some cheap aftermarket ebay crossbars for $100 and then found a Thule Canyon XT basket on craigslist for $200. It's been great. Crossbars are very sturdy and mount into the prefab holes. I can yank around on it and it'll move the entire car with it. I load it up with camping supplies and fully trust it. I too am interested in adding an awning, plan on looking into it eventually and I imagine there's some workarounds for the OEM style bars, so just going to subscribe to this for now.
View attachment 151126 View attachment 151127 View attachment 151128 View attachment 151130 View attachment 151129
Curious as to why you went with ebay?

I ordered OEM bars for 150 shipped. Those ebay ones are 105 plus shipping...

Registered
'19 XLE AWD
Curious as to why you went with ebay?

I ordered OEM bars for 150 shipped. Those ebay ones are 105 plus shipping...
Originally were temporary until I could get some aero Thules, but they've grown on me and work well so I'll be keeping them. You got a good deal, OEMs I saw were $200+ 炉\(銉)/炉

Registered
Anyone have thoughts on the Front Runner Slimeline 2 for the 4.5 Rav4? Looks like for the non-adventure models it doesn't require the removal of the factory rails therefore no messing with the headliner or filling holes etc.

With all these bars we're still limited to the Rav4's roof capacity of 165lbs aren't we?

Registered
'19 XLE AWD
Wow does the manual really say that?
If so at freeway speeds I, (we) are really screwed.
Ha! What the heck are you carrying up there??
Just about, pg 180 of the 2019 manual: "Do not exceed 176.4 lb. (80 kg) cargo weight on the roof luggage carrier."

Registered
2020 hybrid limited.

You will have holes in your roof that need to be plugged after removing the factory roof rack and runner parts. I used plastic plugs and black gasket maker for everything since I had them laying around.

Best advice I have is, do EVERYTHING by hand and BE GENTLE when drilling out the 3/8" hole in the rear. Otherwise, incredibly straightforward install.

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk
Hey s110, or anyone else actually. Do you happen to have the pano roof? I reached out to Prinsu to see if it was compatible with their rack but they didn't know. Thanks in advance!

21 - 40 of 50 Posts