Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
I put the OEM crossbars on last weekend. $165 from dealer.

Some of the cheaper ones on eBay look to be identical.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just ordered this from Ebay. Will post pic and thoughts after I recieve and install. I probably won't use them much if at all but at least it's there for a last minute usage with a rope kept in car! I like the rugged look it will bring and perhaps to add more personality to the car and separate it a little from the numerous others on the road. It looks more or less like the OEM and alot of others I see with no branding across eBay and Amazon. I zoomed in closely to see the print on it and the plastic mouldings and can't spot the difference.
This one is branded Brightlines and comes with a year warranty. If i was often using the rack to carry things I perhaps would have spent on a Thule or something that has a reputation. I'm just hoping that the quality is more or less decent for the price, will install properly and there isn't a design flaw for shakes, rattles and excessive wind noise. Anyone heard if this brand before or have any thoughts in why this might be priced lower and why the others looks similiar?

·
Registered
71 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just ordered this from Ebay. Will post pic and thoughts after I recieve and install. I probably won't use them much if at all but at least it's there for a last minute usage with a rope kept in car! I like the rugged look it will bring and perhaps to add more personality to the car and separate it a little from the numerous others on the road. It looks more or less like the OEM and alot of others I see with no branding across eBay and Amazon. I zoomed in closely to see the print on it and the plastic mouldings and can't spot the difference. View attachment 152420 This one is branded Brightlines and comes with a year warranty. If i was often using the rack to carry things I perhaps would have spent on a Thule or something that has a reputation. I'm just hoping that the quality is more or less decent for the price, will install properly and there isn't a design flaw for shakes, rattles and excessive wind noise. Anyone heard if this brand before or have any thoughts in why this might be priced lower and why the others looks similiar?

So i received the order within 1 week via UPS to Canada from Michigan USA. I did have to additional duty of $55 Cdn so total price paid was $270 CDN.

The roof rack is as expected with no issues in packaging and setting up of almost 1hr. I took time to read instructions and that placements was correct and installing screws. I think it is good value. The minor perhaps cosmetic issues are that the rubber connector pads could be perfectly flush as well as the end plastic covers. Its does fit sturdy and I would feel confident in carrying up to 100lbs on it. I have not tested wind noise at high speed yet but will advise here if any issues.
The next up to do is the body side mouldings for dings in the same colour, a new amplifier and sub woofer for some bass cuz u know u gotta have Bass!!

·
Registered
705 Posts
This looks awesome! Great about the padded straps and rubberized clasps. The reviews are also good with your endorsement. You're right, a rope is just not the way to go.
A good rope with a proper knot will be less likely to fail than a metal friction based clasp - ask any sailor. Having said that I use the Thule load straps myself because I am too lazy to tie a knot - even though I know how.

·
Registered
158 Posts
A good rope with a proper knot will be less likely to fail than a metal friction based clasp - ask any sailor. Having said that I use the Thule load straps myself because I am too lazy to tie a knot - even though I know how.
Agree, but still tough to tension a rope with most loads, at least for the average Joe.

·
Registered
161 Posts
View attachment 152585 View attachment 152586 View attachment 152587

So i received the order within 1 week via UPS to Canada from Michigan USA. I did have to additional duty of $55 Cdn so total price paid was $270 CDN.

The roof rack is as expected with no issues in packaging and setting up of almost 1hr. I took time to read instructions and that placements was correct and installing screws. I think it is good value. The minor perhaps cosmetic issues are that the rubber connector pads could be perfectly flush as well as the end plastic covers. Its does fit sturdy and I would feel confident in carrying up to 100lbs on it. I have not tested wind noise at high speed yet but will advise here if any issues.
The next up to do is the body side mouldings for dings in the same colour, a new amplifier and sub woofer for some bass cuz u know u gotta have Bass!!
Looks nearly identical to the OE I put on 2 weeks ago.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So I've take the Rav4 on the highway with the rooftack installed for the first time and this is what I noticed. If you have a moonroof open and you are traveling in excess of 60km/hr you will have a lot more noise from the wind. You won't be able to have regular conversation or listen to music or podcasts at lower volume for sure. So to fix it- simply close your moonroof! It's the tradeoff no doubt. Other than that the fit and finish while driving was fine and nothing wobbles are seems ready to fall off. My wife did point out though we could have been more adventurous as teenagers in the parking lot having the roofrack with the moonroof open. I replied you're a siren so no! Lol.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts