Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello fellow RAV4 fans. I have a 2001 Toyota RAV4 - 5-door, auto, 2.0L, AWD and would like to know how possible/feasible is it to fit a roof-top tent to the vehicle?

Since we won't be purchasing a larger 4x4 anytime soon, I figured I'd see if putting a RTT on our RAV is a possibility and if so, what would need to be done to make it happen (without breaking the bank in order to do so, obviously).

The issues I have to consider are as follows:

Firstly, the RAV unfortunately doesn't have a roof rack, heck it doesn't even have roof rails although it has 3 slots on either side of the roof with mountings for a roof rack. Now, I've been searching high and low for rails, crossbars and rack for it, but just can't seem to find anything for this older-model RAV here in Botswana where we currently live. So I've started looking around for someone to perhaps fabricate a roof rack with mountings for the vehicle. The initial idea for a roof rack was to hold the usual, jerry cans, tent, chairs, wood etc. BUT if it would be possible to mount a tent on top, then the rack itself would need to be specifically catered to that.
How feasible would this be if at all? Would the roof or rather the side mountings be strong enough to support the rack + tent + 2 people + jerry cans/wood/etc (if there's space for anything else apart from the tent)?

Secondly, weight probably poses another issue. The suspension is obviously standard and I wouldn't want the vehicle to be too low when all the weight is placed on the roof, plus all camping gear, coolboxes, tables, chairs etc is added inside the car. We probably wouldn't be able to get out of the drive-way let alone go off-road anywhere. Maybe I'm over exagerating a bit, but I'm not sure as to how the suspension will react, hence my need to inquire with all of you?

Thirdly, regarding the actual tent, would my only option be to look for a designated RTT such as: http://www.tentco.co.za/products/roo...ftop-1-2m.html
or is it possible to make something else that would work (pictures of any DIY RTT's from fellow members would be appreciated).

I have a glimmer of hope that something like this would all be possible because I've seen photos online of the older RAV's with RTTs and I even saw ads on Facebook of people with smaller Pajero IO's with fitted roof-top tents.
So if it can be done on the IO, I'm sure (or at least very hopeful) that it would be possible to do it on my RAV4 (except for the fact that I dont even have the roof rails on it and plus the roof itself is slightly curved and not as straight as the IO, which may cause further issues).

Anyway, having said all this, any input from the community would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has made DIY roof-racks and RTTs, photos (for possible ideas) would also be appreciated.

Thanks again and cheers!
Jovan

·
Registered
3 Posts
i have a RTT on my 2001

i don want to put anything else up there especially jerrycans, it will get way to topheavy
and thats a bad thing

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have always wondered about RTTs. Isn't the rated capacity of the roof racks around 100lbs? So if you put two light people on top with sleeping bags and a tent, wouldn't that add up to close to 300lbs? Two average Americans would take it closer to 400lbs. Is the roof rack strong enough for 3-4x the rated capacity?

-Stew

·
Registered
6 Posts
A rooftop tent sounds a bit sketchy to me, the Rav's roof isn't meant to support much. A safer bet would be a hatch tent if any would fit, that or just fold all the seats flat and sleep in the car.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I've slept in the rear with the seats taken out and it was very comforatable. Then you could load you belongings on the top.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts