Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes, you read it correctly.

I'm pondering the idea of rotating my seats; well only the front two seats obviously. For 90% of my driving, I am the only one in the vehicle, so as a result the driver's seat gets far more use than the passenger seats. While the driver's seat is well broken in, the passenger seat feels stiff and like new even after 4 years. It may sound crazy to some of you, but it seems like a good idea to me if it's possible.

I just don't want to end up having to replace one of the seats a few years down the line, because my Rav gets a lot of use, and I'm a decent sized guy (6' 210lbs). I've noticed over the past year that my seat has become slightly loose; if you grab the headrest and shake it you can feel the seat wobble a little, whereas the passenger seat stays rigid if you try to shake it. All the mounting bolts are tight, so I think the track is starting to wear a bit. It's nothing major, but I notice it when I am driving and come to a stop because the seat shifts forward a little bit. The seat doesn't slide like it does when you pull the handle, it just wobbles a little bit, for lack of a better word.

Replacement seats are expensive, even from a used parts dealer. I do love Sparco racing seats, but they're not very practical for a daily driver. The fabric is holding up reasonably well (but not great) so I'm not too concerned with seat covers right now.

Now I know I can't just flat out switch the seats, because the driver's seat has the adjustable bottom, and the reclining handles are on opposite sides. However, parts of the seats, such as the seat backs and part of the bottoms are the same on both sides. I could probably switch the track assemblies also because I believe they are the same on both sides.

C

·
0 Posts
It sounds reasonable, I would think the biggest part would be the track. If the tracks are the same then everything else should be no problem. I know from some of my previous vehicles that they made the tracks as exact opposites and came off in one piece. That meant you had to buy a new track assembly for the side that needed replacement.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Jeff,
I don't know about the 4.2 but I changed the seats on my '98 and 2000 from one side to the other. There is 4 bolts on the seat bottom. I just changed the bottom seat not the backs. Problem with the 4,1 is the seat belt thingy's are on the frame and they are on the inside so I couldn't change the whole seat as an assembly.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts