Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The Limited has a steel rim wheel spare. All other tires are alloy rims. When it comes time to rotate the tires should one start using the steel rim spare tire in the mix or keep it as a spare only????

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
spare on Ltd.

Actually, Bikejack, when I removed the spare cover on my Ltd. I was pleased to discover that it had the same tire (Yokohama Geolander) and alloy rim as the other four tires had. Apparently the spare has the tire pressure sensor as well. Are you certain yours is just a steel rim? I wonder what other Ltd. owners received? Perhaps you incorrectly got a steel rim spare or else I incorrectly got an alloy rim spare?

·
Registered
167 Posts
I wonder what a group buy would be like for the alloy rims to replace our Limited cheap steel spares?

After all, we each only need one, so I would suspect the more sets of 4 we buy the better.

Of course there's the quandry of getting them shipped one per to different addresses... :(

On the flipside, I'm hoping for not needing the spare.... EVER!!! (dreams do come true ;) )

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: spare on Ltd.

bcbob said:
Actually, Bikejack, when I removed the spare cover on my Ltd. I was pleased to discover that it had the same tire (Yokohama Geolander) and alloy rim as the other four tires had. Apparently the spare has the tire pressure sensor as well. Are you certain yours is just a steel rim? I wonder what other Ltd. owners received? Perhaps you incorrectly got a steel rim spare or else I incorrectly got an alloy rim spare?
In Canada do we even have tire pressure monitoring on the 06's? I'm pretty sure we don't. Also I just checked my limited and I have a steel spare... :(

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi csis_agent. (are you really a csis agent?) My instruction booklet makes mention of a low tire pressure warning light in the instrument cluster, so I'm assuming I have it. I wouldn't know what it looks like on the wheel, so I can't say for certain that I do have it. Also, FWIT, I recall finding no mention of the tire pressure monitor on the Toyota Canada website, so I assumed we weren't getting that feature.

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bcbob said:
Hi csis_agent. (are you really a csis agent?) My instruction booklet makes mention of a low tire pressure warning light in the instrument cluster, so I'm assuming I have it. I wouldn't know what it looks like on the wheel, so I can't say for certain that I do have it. Also, FWIT, I recall finding no mention of the tire pressure monitor on the Toyota Canada website, so I assumed we weren't getting that feature.
Yeah I'm 99.9% sure we do not have tire pressure monitor. A lot of features are displayed in the book but it's very bad for specifically detailing which model gets what and differienting Canadian & American models.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Page 162 of the USA owners manual states,

"The spare tire is also equiped with the tire pressure warning valve and transmitter".

Page 333 of the USA owners manual states,

"After repairing the flat tire (alloy rim) be sure to re-install the rubber rings to the wheel nuts before stowing the spare tire (steel rim).
If the steel wheel is stowed without reinstalling the rubber rings to the wheelnuts the spare tire carrier may produce abnormal noise when the vehicle is driven."

My loose interpretation of above is that the steel rim is to be used for a spare only and not part of the tire rotation sequence. When I go in for my free 1000 mile oil change I am going to raise this issue with Toyota. Are any Limited owners plan on using the steel rim spare in the tire rotation sequence?????

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well now this is just vexing. :evil: I just checked my V6 Ltd and I could see nothing resembling any tire pressure monitoring system anywhere. And even though it describes how it works in my manual, I noticed that there is no low tire pressure warning light that comes on in my instrument cluster when I turn the key.

And here I already gave away a new can of emergency tire sealant because my book says using it would damage the TP monitoring system. Boo, Toyota instruction manual person!

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It would be nice to have the option to equalize the wear over 5 tires instead of 4 by rotating in the spare. The steel rim spare complicates this or does it???? That is the question or purchase a spare alloy rim or swap rims from time to time.

·
Registered
420 Posts
bcbob said:
Well now this is just vexing. :evil: I just checked my V6 Ltd and I could see nothing resembling any tire pressure monitoring system anywhere. And even though it describes how it works in my manual, I noticed that there is no low tire pressure warning light that comes on in my instrument cluster when I turn the key.
I am having a difficult time imagining a Limited without the tyre pressure monitor. I have a Base version, and it does have it. Can Canada be shafted? I don't think so. My light looks like this: (!) . It is yellow. It's on the left side, outside of the tachometer.

·
Registered
6,348 Posts
I have never rotated the spare in 25 years of driving and never had an issue.

bikejack said:
It would be nice to have the option to equalize the wear over 5 tires instead of 4 by rotating in the spare. The steel rim spare complicates this or does it???? That is the question or purchase a spare alloy rim or swap rims from time to time.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The tire pressure monitor comes on all models in Canada. It is actually not tire pressure but the rotational speed of the tire that is monitored (asked Toyota last night as hitch wiring harness was being put on). This is why you can go after market but you have to get it recalibrated.

Keith

·
Registered
4,670 Posts
Tire pressure monitors are a requirement impose by the NHTSA after the Explorer / Firestone law suit in the US. There are 2 different types of tire pressure monitors. The direct system which measure actual tire pressure and send a signal to the computer and the other type measures wheel rotation speed to monitor low pressure, a flat tire will spin faster. The rotaion type is a cheaper way for the manufacturer to implement tire pressure monitoring since all the rotation sensors are already in place due to the ABS and the VSC. The direct pressure system has proven to be more relieble and a better system overall in my opinion.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bcbob wrote:

I am having a difficult time imagining a Limited without the tyre pressure monitor. I have a Base version, and it does have it. Can Canada be shafted? I don't think so. My light looks like this: (!) . It is yellow. It's on the left side, outside of the tachometer.

Thanks, zaitcev. I know what the low tire pressure warning light looks like and where it's supposed to appear, but when I turn the key to the auxilliary position and all the dash lights come on for a few seconds, the LTP light is not one of them. I very much want to believe that my RAV4 has this system!!

Sweetwig and csis_agent, is there any way of reconciling the two differing viewpoints you have on this matter? Can anyone post a picture of what the system would look like on the rim? Thanks, everyone.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
Here's a graphic of the tire valve from the FSM, it's all metal cept the black plastic cap, same color as the alloy wheel on the base. Mine is a bit different just below the threaded stem for the cap, it's hex shaped.

·
Premium Member
6,664 Posts
The G Man said:
Tire pressure monitors are a requirement impose by the NHTSA after the Explorer / Firestone law suit in the US. There are 2 different types of tire pressure monitors. The direct system which measure actual tire pressure and send a signal to the computer and the other type measures wheel rotation speed to monitor low pressure, a flat tire will spin faster. The rotaion type is a cheaper way for the manufacturer to implement tire pressure monitoring since all the rotation sensors are already in place due to the ABS and the VSC. The direct pressure system has proven to be more relieble and a better system overall in my opinion.
The Rav4 used the direct pressure system, from the FSM...

TIRE PRESSURE WARNING SYSTEM
DESCRIPTION
 A direct-sensing type tire pressure warning system has been newly provided as standard equipment on the
U.S.A. models.
 If the vehicle continues to be driven with one or more of the five tires inflated to a low tire pressure that
could cause problems in driving, this system will illuminate the tire pressure warning light to inform the
driver of the low tire pressure.
 Furthermore, this system directly senses the each tire pressure through a tire pressure warning valve and
transmitter that is attached to each wheel.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts