Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just found this third option so far. After LP Adventure with their 1.5" lift kit and Readylift with the 2" lift, I found this even more aggressive lift made by Rough Country. I think it worth a shot to look at this one too. Of course this one is a bit higher than the two first option that we saw in other threads on this Forum. For those who are planning on carrying a lot more gear in their RAV4 it might be good to consider the 2.5" lift.
I know the brand Rough Country is a popular one in the pickup world here in Alberta tho, but I dont have personal experience with this company.

Let me know what you guys think about this kit, because also I gotta say this kit is pretty cheap at a listed price of $400 ($300 USD). When the LP Aventure kit is more than double price at $1120 ($850 USD), and the Readylift is listed at $525 ($400 USD).

·
Registered
252 Posts
Let me know what you guys think about this kit, because also I gotta say this kit is pretty cheap at a listed price of $400 ($300 USD). When the LP Aventure kit is more than double price at $1120 ($850 USD), and the Readylift is listed at $525 ($400 USD).
I think at that height your going to start pushing the limits of your driveline and front alignment. On my JK Wrangler, 2.5" is the gray line for requiring longer control arms and Chromalloy axles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh I hear you, but Im also concern why there's such a different in price? What makes a lifting kit better grade than the other?
I can see why when I compare the Readylift to the LP Adventure. The LP has way more spacer components and looks more complexe than the Readylift, but is it actually better or the kit from Readylift and its simplicity is good enough?

·
Registered
861 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see this when I started my thread in the "General" section. But here were my thoughts from that thread:

snip

Having purchased and installed the Readylift kit myself, including an extra coil spacer, I thought I'd do a quick comparison after reading the Rough Country's install instructions.

I have zero experience with the LP kit, but honestly I am still having a hard time understanding what really warrants the $900 price tag on a lift that still uses stock coils and struts/shocks and only lifts 1.5". Granted it is a wholly different market, but $900 bought me a completely aftermarket set of coils and shocks for my 4Runner.

Anyways, the RoughCountry kit relative to the $400 Readylift kit:

Pros:
1) Only $300
2) Slightly higher lift (2.5" front).
3) Includes trailing arm spacers to re-center the rear wheels in the wheel wells, which also makes me think the rear lift (perhaps 2"+) is a little higher than the ReadyLift provides (1.5").

Cons:
1)Requires professional realignment after the install, unlike the RL which keeps factory geometry. So, the $100 you save will pretty much go to that.

Of note:
1) The bolted-in lower coil spacers in a pretty ingenious execution, but are not quite as clean as the billet aluminum ReadyLoft upper coil spacers. And, if, like me, you wanted to add additional lift beyond the kit--I added 4th-gen lower coil spacers in addition to ReadyLift's upper coil spacers--you would not be able to do that with this kit.
2) They actually advertise this kit as allowing a full 30" tire, as opposed to the ~29.5" tires advertied by Readylift. Of course, I drove home from the tire shop with no lift with 30.5" tires and had no rubbing (until I put the wheel spacers in), so it is all kindof moot. Plus, the way the front wheel well trim is designed, the potential for rubbing at the lower front corner actually increases with lift height (or as the wheel droops lower in the well). It was a very minor and simple trim, but worth noting.

www.roughcountry.com

2.5IN Toyota Suspension Lift Kit (2019 RAV4)
Give your RAV4 an improved, aggressive look with Rough Country’s 2.5in Leveling kit! This easy-to-install kit levels your vehicle from front to rear allowing you to run larger tires while eliminating the nose-down factory look for a commanding presence that can’t be ignored.

Recommendation:
--Ultimately, if you want a little more lift, and don't mind having the realignment done (say, you were already buying new wheels and tires and wanted to have it checked anyways), the Rough Country kit is probably a bit better in value.
--Otherwise, the Readylift kit is a bit simpler to install with arguably, albeit slightly, better instructions, and does not require a realignment once it's done.

snip

Indeed, the front is probably about maxed out at 2.5", just like most IFS vehicles. However, I'm lifted 2.2" in the rear and the axles are baaaaarely starting to droop. I actually experimented the other day with a jack lifting the rear up a bit more, and the angles are all still really gentle even at 3.5+" of lift.

edit

Went and watched the instructional video for the LP kit. It does add a spacer at the top of the rear shock, which should allow for proportionally-increased downtravel. However, I don't recall if the bump stop moves down with the subframe; if the bump stop doesn't move, then you still lose uptravel with the shock spaced down.

Othereise, it seems it does everything the RC kit does, except with billet aluminum. Like I said, if they really wanted to come up with a $900 lift kit that stood out in the market, they should have done it with aftermarket shocks and coils, IMO.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Went and watched the instructional video for the LP kit. It does add a spacer at the top of the rear shock, which should allow for proportionally-increased downtravel. However, I don't recall if the bump stop moves down with the subframe; if the bump stop doesn't move, then you still lose uptravel with the shock spaced down.
Just FYI
Spacing factory components (like a shock) will only give you more ground clearance. But will not increase articulation.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Just FYI
Spacing factory components (like a shock) will only give you more ground clearance. But will not increase articulation.
You are generally correct, but if this is with respect to the "downtravel" comment, there is more to it.

Spacing down the rear subframe for us is actually just to minimize geoetric changes. However only the coil spacer actually provides any of the lift. Moreover, there are no bump stops in the rear, so both up- and down-travel are limited by the shock itself. Thus, spacing down the shock allows more down-travel by the same amount that relative uptravel is reduced. Overall, though, I would rather have the total travel remain more centered with respect to the axle, so I am not sure I would want the shock spacers anyways.

·
Registered
861 Posts
You are generally correct, but if this is with respect to the "downtravel" comment, there is more to it.

Spacing down the rear subframe for us is actually just to minimize geoetric changes. However only the coil spacer actually provides any of the lift. Moreover, there are no bump stops in the rear, so both up- and down-travel are limited by the shock itself. Thus, spacing down the shock allows more down-travel by the same amount that relative uptravel is reduced. Overall, though, I would rather have the total travel remain more centered with respect to the axle, so I am not sure I would want the shock spacers anyways.
I did just think of something; if the shock's fluid bypass rates change dramatically at relatively short distances from the OEM static height, then riding around with the static height significantly off of the OEM center of travel would henerally result in a rougher ride. (Usually shocks are designed for increased damping as the suspension gets further away from static height).

This is certainly not scientific, but at >2" of lift I certainly did not notice any changes in suspension damping. So, if such changes do occur, they either occur closer to the ends of the range of travel, or the change in rate is not that significant. In any case, I am fine with having a greater percentage of my normal up-travel under the less-dampened portion of my suspension. Makes for a cushier ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
I was looking for a little aggressive lift for my rav4 but i have rough country on my truck a 2004 dodge ram 1500 4 inch lift and i havent had any problems as far as quality and i will be purchasing the rav4 2.5 kit today. And also there customer service is amazing had a shock blow on my truck and they sent me a whole new set.

·
Registered
'19 XLE
53 Posts
Hi! Hoping one of you who installed the Rough Country lift might be able to give me some insight. Immediately after installing, there was a noise from vibration in the back and the place who installed it said they would have to have it sitting lower with the use of a peanut clip (see image). I know the limits of my handiwork and trusted the good folks at the shop to do it.

I've been to two places, the first telling me that's just how it has to sit and the second recommending I go to a specialty exhaust shop. My issue is that the peanut clip has caused the exhaust to sit so much lower. I don't like the way it looks and I've scuffed it a few times with the ground clearance. Any ideas on how to change the way it's mounted or if you have had this problem are very much appreciated!

Attachments

·
Registered
106 Posts
Only way is to have a muffler shop mod the stock exhaust. The bend that goes under the subframe is too close and will rattle. If you remove the exhaust hanger spacers it will bring it up a little but it can rattle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
'19 XLE
53 Posts
Only way is to have a muffler shop mod the stock exhaust. The bend that goes under the subframe is too close and will rattle. If you remove the exhaust hanger spacers it will bring it up a little but it can rattle.

I was told to have it lifted up where it should be but without rattling, that it would require fabricating an S-shaped exhaust. I'll try playing with the hanger spacers! Thanks.

·
Registered
106 Posts
I don’t think there is a simple way to do it with spacers. It requires a 1-2” exhaust extension downward to clear the subframe.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Oh I hear you, but Im also concern why there's such a different in price? What makes a lifting kit better grade than the other?
I can see why when I compare the Readylift to the LP Adventure. The LP has way more spacer components and looks more complexe than the Readylift, but is it actually better or the kit from Readylift and its simplicity is good enough?
Lp is in Canada there taxes are high and shipping ain't cheap

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just found this third option so far. After LP Adventure with their 1.5" lift kit and Readylift with the 2" lift, I found this even more aggressive lift made by Rough Country. I think it worth a shot to look at this one too. Of course this one is a bit higher than the two first option that we saw in other threads on this Forum. For those who are planning on carrying a lot more gear in their RAV4 it might be good to consider the 2.5" lift.
I know the brand Rough Country is a popular one in the pickup world here in Alberta tho, but I dont have personal experience with this company.

I got this rough kountry 2.5inch kit installed and now when I go over some uneven terrain with a little speed I hear like a knock which is something I've never heard, the guys who installed the kit are trying not to deal with me because this is the second time I come back to them with this issue, guy tells me flat out rav4 is not an offloader, I told him is not a jeep but it will do its thing. Anyways if you know anything that can come into mind I like to hear it I should have to worry about getting a little aggressive in some uneven terrain i told him im doing the Baja 1000 or anything like that

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got this rough kountry 2.5inch kit installed and now when I go over some uneven terrain with a little speed I hear like a knock which is something I've never heard, the guys who installed the kit are trying not to deal with me because this is the second time I come back to them with this issue, guy tells me flat out rav4 is not an offloader, I told him is not a jeep but it will do its thing. Anyways if you know anything that can come into mind I like to hear it I should have to worry about getting a little aggressive in some uneven terrain i told him im doing the Baja 1000 or anything like that
Did you ever remedy this problem? I have the rough country 2.5 with eibach springs on a trd and want to know what I can do to stop the slight vibrations. I saw someone who used 1" spacers in the front instead of the rough country ones.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Did you ever remedy this problem? I have the rough country 2.5 with eibach springs on a trd and want to know what I can do to stop the slight vibrations. I saw someone who used 1" spacers in the front instead of the rough country ones.
Folks, whether readylift or RC, the hesitation will be there if you go with oversized tires. It’s not the kits, it’s the combination of the kit plus aggressive wheel/tire package that takes the geometry of the CV beyond its limits and causes the hesitation.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts