Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I been having this problem where im in a stop light then i give it a little gas and the rpms jumps to 2k by itself and then it drops down to 0 and it dies on me. Today it happen twice and on the second one it took a little longer to start in a crowded intersection lol. I already changed the spark plugs, cleaned the throttle body and it still the same.

Something to note is before this starting to happen my rpms would randomly jumps to 2k and stay there until i got home and cleaned the iacv, it seemed like it was getting stuck too open making it jump to 2k. Maybe the iacv just crapped out now?

The intake plastic tube has a little crack in it that leaks air but nothing big. I always had the cel for the fuel canister, but it comes on like 1k miles after clearing it.

·
Super Moderator
10,133 Posts
My first thought was an intake air leak. And your statement:
The intake plastic tube has a little crack in it that leaks air but nothing big. I always had the cel for the fuel canister....
points to two possibilities. If they in any way connect to the intake manifold you likely have a cause. Also, depending on the year of your RAV4 (you didn't tell us), an EGR valve could be to blame.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Its a 96 rav4. I cleaned the EGR last year. I think its the iacv along with the crack in the intake tube. Im going to replace that from a rav4 from the junkyard to see if it makes any difference.

·
Premium Member
1999 Toyota RAV4 with 3MZ-FE 6 cylinder engine, camo wrap, OME lift, heavily modded
2,045 Posts
Vacuum leaks will cause high RPM idling. Replace all those old hard cracked 20 year old vacuum lines. If you have a 4x4 some of them can be fun to get to but they really all need to be replaced. Other things to consider, the soft fuel lines, fuel evap lines, fuel tank filler hose, and gas cap. By the way, don't use silicon with fuel or oil lines.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I replaced the intake tube for a better one and also the iacv and it didnt change anything, it still has the rpm spike and it stalls.

·
Registered
609 Posts
What are the CEL codes you keep clearing?
Could they be related to your current problem?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I keep getting the code for the fuel canister, but thats been there for couple years already. I replaced the iacv from one i got from the junkyard. I dont think its the iacv now. Air filter looks clean. Can it be the ignition coil maybe?

i found this that matches exactly my problem. Im going to replace the ect to see if that works, http://www.rav4world.com/forums/85-4-1-faults-fixes/81932-stall-high-idle.html

1 - 10 of 10 Posts