Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone,

I have noticed that when I am pulling up to a stoplight, the rpm surges to about 1100-1200 rpm and then settles down into a normal idle a little above 700 rpm. This behavior is really bugging me and I am wondering if my automatic transmission is having trouble downshifting at the appropriate time. Would any of you have suggestions as to what might be some good avenues to pursue? There are no codes on the vehicle at this time. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,930 Posts
Yeah, it could be the transmission downshifting late, or the torque converter unlocking. Is this something new? When was the last time you changed transmission fluid? Pull the dipstick and see if it's nice and pink, or dirty brown.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just bought the vehicle, so I am still getting a feel for it. I had to first remediate an unstable idle through a throttle body cleaning. Now the idle seems fine, but I see these odd RPM surges when it seems to downshift from 2nd to 1st. My RAV4 is the 2WD model. The vehicle has 69k miles on it and the fluid color looks great - it appears to have been changed recently.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What does the engine do as you coast to a stop (automatic transmission)?

I am still having this weird downshifting initial reduction in idle (sometimes down to about 500-600 rpm) and then it pops up to 1000-1100 rpm. Can anyone elaborate on what technically occurs when you are decelerating? Maybe with a better understanding of the process, I can figure out why it is behaving this way.

Any other suggestions on things to check? No check engine light.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts