Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
RTX Wheels makes an oem replica wheel with perfect center bore and looks almost identical to the oem 17" wheel. Priced around $150 each. I'm going to look into these for my RAV.

HIDA - RTXWheels

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Perhaps replica was not the correct word. They have an OEM series that mimics the design. They are very similar to these:

Anyway, I've ordered a set. Got a better price at a local dealer: $132/wheel.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Those (in the photo of the RAV4) are the 17" alloy wheels that came with the Base model that had the Upgrade Value Package.

They look quite a bit like the 18" alloys that came with the Sport model.

I think those 17" UVP wheels may be my favorites from Toyota.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Myth: Replica wheels are just as strong as the factory original wheels.

The truth about replica wheels (and why OEM is better) | eBay

Truth: Replica wheels are made using the cheapest manufacturing method available (gravity casting). This is when molten aluminum is simply poured into a mold and allowed to cool off. This method results in a wheel that has lesser density aluminum, since no pressure is applied (most factory wheels use a what's called low pressure casting method). What this really means is that the replica wheels are much more likely to get bent or cracked, since they are made from much weaker, more porous material. We have seen this happen over and over again.

Test Video: Are Replica Wheels Really as Safe as OEM Wheels?

I put 17x7.5" Toyota alloys, on wife's 2008 RAV4 Limited / like new takeoffs, off a 2013 Highlander (with only 800 Km).
- $800/set well spent, and avoided fake cast rims / replica wheels often weigh less...red flag IMO

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
Very few car companies make their own wheels...many design a wheel and then have an aftermarket company make then...Enkei is one of those companies...they make OEM and aftermarket and the quality between them is the same...just remember you generally get what you pay for...I have been installing aftermarket wheels on my cars and trucks for 20 years and never had any issues...of course if you're gonna spend money and replace wheels why would you want it to look like factory wheels?...I can't stand factory wheels on my cars and trucks...no thank you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts