Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
  • I went through a car wash today and the rubber roof molding strip on the driver side came off. This is the piece that fits in between the roof rail and along underneath it. I was able to reattach it (it just is attached with a form of double-sided tape) but I know it’s going to keep coming off. I called the dealership as they only have 2500 miles, and they said they could order replacements. It seems to me like they should be able to glue them on or attach them more firmly rather than out right replace them. Has anyone else heard of this problem or had this happen?

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think it is pretty common. At least mine were always coming off on my 2013. I just finally gave up and left them off. From my understanding, they are there for visual appeal to fill the channel and not for rain protection. I may be wrong but i'm not sure I care.:)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, they don’t look like they do anything other than cover up the channel. I had the same problem on a 2009 Tacoma, and the dealership at the time used some sort of adhesive to glue them to the roof.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Or use adhesives like Gorilla Glue and the like for a more permanent fix.

·
Registered
1 Posts
  • I went through a car wash today and the rubber roof molding strip on the driver side came off. This is the piece that fits in between the roof rail and along underneath it. I was able to reattach it (it just is attached with a form of double-sided tape) but I know it’s going to keep coming off. I called the dealership as they only have 2500 miles, and they said they could order replacements. It seems to me like they should be able to glue them on or attach them more firmly rather than out right replace them. Has anyone else heard of this problem or had this happen?
Yes! It just happened to me. I’m trying to see how to repair it.

·
Registered
2018 RAV4 LE
39 Posts
The replacement strips most likely have 3M double sided tape to hold them in place. That's what was on the Toyota body side moldings that I installed on my Camry.

Not all double sided tape is created equal so you might ask a body shop what they recommend. For best results you want both surfaces clean and free of the old tape residue.... that might be your biggest challenge.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The rubber molding has not come off since it was replaced. But I also have not gone through an automatic car wash since. I use the self-service bays to wash the car. Unfortunately it’s hard to get a good wash underneath the car using the self-service. Which is a concern because in the winter time they salt the roads where I live.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts