Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2001 Rav 4 last year. About 8 months later, I was putting my driver's side window down and noticed the rubber seal was hanging outside. I actually had to pull over to get it back in the track and get the window back up.
Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone have any idea how much it would cost to replace that or know of any economical quick fixes?
My solution thus far is to not put my window down and this is proving to be a challenge especially when pulling up to the toll plaza :?

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I have had the same problem on the driver's side window trim with wifey's Lexus and the princess's Corolla. It got so bad on the Lexus that I had to have the rubber trim replaced. The Corolla is not too bad so far. My RAV is only three months old and no problem so far.

I thought about putting a small bead of opaque silicone grease on the rubber in the channel, but that would only be a temprary fix. I think Toyota needs to address this problem through a design or material change.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Welcome to the forums "RavLover"!!!

I haven't had that problem with my '01 but the rubber on the bottom of each window doesn't touch. This for me is an issue because when it is snowy or fogged on the outside of the windows putting them down is of no use. It an anoyance to me but I live with it. I would like to get some new strips for the bottom pieces but the rest is good for now.

Later. M. 8)

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I had to get the rubber of my drivers door of my 2002 replaced under warranty for shrinking and pulling away near the mirror.

Brian

·
Registered
83 Posts
brianlj99 said:
I had to get the rubber of my drivers door of my 2002 replaced under warranty for shrinking and pulling away near the mirror.

Brian
I wonder if applying some silicon fluid to the rubber strips improves its pliability and life (the same goes for wiper strips). I just applied some of the silicon on the strips yesterday as I was preparing the door gaskets (the black rubber sealing strips on the door frame and the door itself) for winter. For some of you who are not aware of the procedure, we who live in very cold climates (minus 10 to minus 20 deg centigrade) have to rub silicon on the door gaskets so that the door does not freeze shut on the frame specially when the car is parked in the open air garage. By the way, as I am on the topic of winterizing your RAV, I would just like to say that the best antifreeze and lubricant for your car lock is the one with "graphite" (don't buy ones with just alcohol or teflon, they are useless). It is very embarassing to have to crawl through your car window in winter because your car door or the lock itself has frozen shut/stuck. Believe me I know! :)

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I took it to a Toyota Dealership and asked and they said it would cost $60 for the Rubber itself, not to mention labor costs. My friend who's a mechanic sprayed some WD 40 on the track to help the window move without pulling it and that seems to be a temporary fix.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
previous Rav was a 2001 model. This also had a problem with the window seals. Dealer fixed it under warrenty by replacing the complete seal around the inner window frame. :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
Yep, same problem here with the hubby's '02 4Runner window seals. He got his fixed under warranty. Maybe this is a "thing" with Toyotas, kinda like the valve stem seals in the 4.1 Ravs.

Becky

·
Registered
212 Posts
I bought a used 02 Rav4 in Nov/05 with extended warranty (ECP)good until Sept/06. Same driverside seal problem and the 2 long seals that runs from the winshield on the roof all the way back to the rear window, both sides pops up near the top of the windshield area. Took it back to the dealer on Sat May.13/06. They told me that the seal is NOT cover under warranty parts or labours.
Man was I pissed, I transfered the extend warrannty over to my name and now they tell me that it is not covered. So i asked what is covered under warranty, just the engine & tranny.
And the previous owner paid $700. for this warranty.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
RavLover said:
I took it to a Toyota Dealership and asked and they said it would cost $60 for the Rubber itself, not to mention labor costs. My friend who's a mechanic sprayed some WD 40 on the track to help the window move without pulling it and that seems to be a temporary fix.
I tried that and it worked for a short period and then after collecting grime and dirt and failing eventually, I decided to get it replaced. Oh, yeah, I tried the silicone (dielectric grease) and it work for a brief period too, but replacement is the only permanent fix that I am aware of.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts