Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to decide between a Silver Sky Metallic and a Ruby Flare Pearl 2020 Limited with Weather package and gray interior.

I have been driving a silver Toyota Sienna for the last 15 years, and love that color. The Silver Sky is a shade darker, more like a pewter silver but still nice and contrasts with the trim well. The Ruby Flare is quite a fun color, great contrast with the dark gray trim, but my concerns are it showing too much dirt, and fading. I've seen older red cars and they look so dull.

I know that it costs a bit more, and if body paint repair needs to be done, that could cost more also.

BTW, all my friends say silver is boring, and to go for a more snazzy color! I'm a young 62, fun loving, world traveling, single woman.

Anyone who has the Ruby Flare care to comment on how the color holds up over the years? Any opinions if I should stay with the tried and true (and boring) silver or splurge on the Ruby?

·
Registered
190 Posts
How long do you want to keep the car and how much sun will the car be exposed to? Do you have a garage if you live in a place with a lot of sun? As you stated, red is the most likely color to fade.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I would suggest to go with the red. Why not enjoy the fun color now and worry about the fading later? :cool: That's what I did and waited over six months to get my red RAV4. I really like the color. Maybe needs a bit more cleaning but gets compliments too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm not a fan of this particular red (Mazda has a much better red) but it should hold up fine over time. I've always had black and dark gray cars but a family member had a red Camry for around 6 or 7 years and the paint never noticeably faded. If your heart is set on red, get it. You can have a detailer do a ceramic coating on the car (like Opticoat Pro+) which will protect the paint from rock chips, fading, etc. That will cost around $1500 but lasts for 10+ years. You could also opt for PPF (paint protection film) aka "clear bra" which also has UV protection and typically is on the full hood, fenders, etc but you could wrap the whole car in it if you wanted to.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How long do you want to keep the car and how much sun will the car be exposed to? Do you have a garage if you live in a place with a lot of sun? As you stated, red is the most likely color to fade.
I live in the Atlanta suburbs. The car is garaged day and night, unless I am out. I work from home, so no commuting. One goal is to drive cross country to visit the National Parks in the next few years. I hope to keep it for 10 years or more.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not a fan of this particular red (Mazda has a much better red) but it should hold up fine over time. I've always had black and dark gray cars but a family member had a red Camry for around 6 or 7 years and the paint never noticeably faded. If your heart is set on red, get it. You can have a detailer do a ceramic coating on the car (like Opticoat Pro+) which will protect the paint from rock chips, fading, etc. That will cost around $1500 but lasts for 10+ years. You could also opt for PPF (paint protection film) aka "clear bra" which also has UV protection and typically is on the full hood, fenders, etc but you could wrap the whole car in it if you wanted to.
Thanks for the info re: ceramic coating and PPF... I'd rather not spend another $1500! These babies are not inexpensive to begin with. I would be concerned that if only part of the car is wrapped, then will the non wrapped parts fade and look different over time? How does the film affect the washing/waxing?

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
I live in the Atlanta suburbs. The car is garaged day and night, unless I am out. I work from home, so no commuting. One goal is to drive cross country to visit the National Parks in the next few years. I hope to keep it for 10 years or more.
I got Ruby with grey interior, which I think is a pretty nice combo. Not sure how it might look with the Cinnamon seats.
Anyway, I got Ruby cause it was all that was available at the time, and it has grown on me a lot. It does show dust a bit more than I would like, but oddly the rain doesn't seem to mark it up too bad.

·
Registered
190 Posts
With a primarily garaged car, any color is fine. In addition, any paint sealant will last longer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Thanks for the info re: ceramic coating and PPF... I'd rather not spend another $1500! These babies are not inexpensive to begin with. I would be concerned that if only part of the car is wrapped, then will the non wrapped parts fade and look different over time? How does the film affect the washing/waxing?
Yes, if you do PPF on only part of the car, over time it's possible the uncovered areas would fade. The PPF clear bra runs around $1200-$1500 as well if you do the full hood, fenders, etc so it's not likely something you'll be interested due to the cost anyway. Either way, I wouldn't expect the paint to fade significantly without any sort of protection so I wouldn't make it a deciding factor in your color decision.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I read a book years ago by the founder of Rivendale Cycles - a famous custom bicycle shop in California. He said to always buy a bike in a color you love - you will be more likely to actually ride it, and enjoy it while you do. I am not much of a cyclist, but that has always stuck with me. I think it applies to cars as well.

I have silver sky FWIW, and its a great color, but sort of wished I got something brighter.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am waiting delivery of a Ruby Flare Rav4 Limited with everything. I like Ruby and Redheads in general (the wife is a redhead)! With clear coat and minimal maintenance the red shouldn't fade at all. BTW my Rav is being made tomorrow in Canada! Hopeful delivery will be the first of the year.
Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I am waiting delivery of a Ruby Flare Rav4 Limited with everything. I like Ruby and Redheads in general (the wife is a redhead)! With clear coat and minimal maintenance the red shouldn't fade at all. BTW my Rav is being made tomorrow in Canada! Hopeful delivery will be the first of the year.
Bill
What do you mean by 'clear coat'? Is that the expensive ceramic coating mentioned above? Or something I'd do myself? And what do you consider 'minimal maintenance'? Weekly carwash? Monthly? Waxing? I am not much into DIY. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ruby is nice. Gray and silver exterior are boring.
Yes, that's what I am feeling too. I have loved my Silver Sienna (mom van), but feel that maybe now is a good time to rev it up a little! I do not like very dark cars, like black or Blueprint, nor white. That only leaves Silver Sky, Magnetic Gray Metallic or Ruby Flare Pearl. The gray seems too somber for me, and is almost black.

So, it has to be either Same Old Silver or Rev It Up Ruby! :cool:

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I read a book years ago by the founder of Rivendale Cycles - a famous custom bicycle shop in California. He said to always buy a bike in a color you love - you will be more likely to actually ride it, and enjoy it while you do. I am not much of a cyclist, but that has always stuck with me. I think it applies to cars as well.

I have silver sky FWIW, and its a great color, but sort of wished I got something brighter.
In the Limited, there really is no bright option. White is light and I guess you could call it bright but not in the sense that I think you mean. Silver is the only other light color. Ruby is the only medium and about as bright as it gets. The magnetic gray is so dark it's like charcoal and almost as dark as the black and blueprint. Wish there were some other colors to choose from!

·
Registered
26 Posts
What do you mean by 'clear coat'? Is that the expensive ceramic coating mentioned above? Or something I'd do myself? And what do you consider 'minimal maintenance'? Weekly carwash? Monthly? Waxing? I am not much into DIY. ;)
Toyota uses a three step paint process; a base or primer, color coat and finally a top layer of paint which is called "clear coat." Here is a Toyota link which describes Toyota's paint process. https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/data/automotive_business/products_technology/technology_development/materials/details.html
I use a sealer type of was which requires twice a year for good protection. It's easy on and easy off. I wash the maybe twice a month.
Bill

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm really surprised they dropped Electric Storm Blue and Cinnamon interior.

You can only get Electric Storm Blue in the LE, XLE, XLE Premium, Adventure and in LE hybrid and XLE hybrid. No more Cinnamon interior at all though. Black or Grey or Mocha - Fabric or Soft Tex.

Yours is very pretty BTW

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Toyota uses a three step paint process; a base or primer, color coat and finally a top layer of paint which is called "clear coat." Here is a Toyota link which describes Toyota's paint process. https://www.toyota-global.com/company/history_of_toyota/75years/data/automotive_business/products_technology/technology_development/materials/details.html
I use a sealer type of was which requires twice a year for good protection. It's easy on and easy off. I wash the maybe twice a month.
Bill
Can you tell me the name of the sealer wax you use? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 64 Posts