Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The latest incarnation of the RAV 4 uses Goodyear "run flat" tyres, thereby eliminating the need for a spare.
Always being eager to reduce weight (mine is "all manual" saving the weight of a myriad of beastly lille motors & miles of cable) I would like to know if the run flat tyre is available in 225/17/55.
Also, does the tyre look good?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I have since learned that the Run-on-Flat tyres have a limit of 60 miles in the "deflated" condition. What happens in the event of a puncture at 3am on the Motorway in November with 200 miles of the journey remaining?
O.K. perhaps if you use your RAV only for shopping during the hours of daylight...is that the intended market for the latest generation the RAV?
Personally, I will stick with my chunky 2 door 4.1.........would look cool however without the spare; & the weight saving is still a temptation. :(

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Derek....Exactly my point. With the "Run Flat" tyres limited to 60 miles deflated, what are the owners of the latest RAV supposed to do if they have a puncture late at night a long way from home?
Removing the spare wheel mount & disguising the recess is not too dificult...However, you are right, carrying a spare must be the best option given the limitations of Goodyear's "run flat" tyre.
I would worry if I had the latest RAV with it's 60 mile limit on flat tyres.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Derek....At least it is light in weight...but you cannot help but wonder about the lateral stiffness. I like the thinking behind it. Well spotted.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts