Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will RAV4 OEM running boards prevent rock chips on the lower side panels or is the lower panel plastic cladding and mud guards enough to do so? I drive on eight miles of gravel road daily.

· Registered
2021 RAV4 XLE Premium Hybrid
1,982 Posts
Will RAV4 OEM running boards prevent rock chips on the lower side panels or is the lower panel plastic cladding and mud guards enough to do so? I drive on eight miles of gravel road daily.
Running boards will not help with rock chips behind the rear wheels (running boards mount between the front and rear wheels). Thus, you should consider mud flaps. They are inexpensive and easy to attach.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
You could always visit a body shop and have them add the rubberized rocker guard spray, then paint it to match the colour. It’s been quite effective on mine for the past 9 years. That and mud flaps. There are some good factory ones, moulded to fit better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
2,609 Posts
I checked out the installation directions for the OEM running boards. The job is a little more involved than on my Tacomas. (All five of them.) Also once installed, how sturdy are they.
They will be sturdy enough to stand on, but certainly not strong enough to support the vehicle as rocker guards if you high-centre it.

Reactions: paulday

· Registered
1,982 Posts
I checked out the installation directions for the OEM running boards. The job is a little more involved than on my Tacomas. (All five of them.) Also once installed, how sturdy are they.
Southeast Toyota distributors has running boards that are much easier to install than the national running boards for the rest of the country: Black Running Board - Details

You would have to order from a Southeast Toyota dealer and have them shipped to you.(RAV4 Black Running Boards | Sparks Parts).

· Registered
887 Posts
Do people still install running boards these days? I have a 2013 RAV4 that came with OEM running boards and I uninstalled them but never got a bite trying to sell them even cheap. I hate to send good products to a landfill but if nobody wants them what else are you going to do?

· Registered
Prime XSE Premium.
684 Posts
Southeast Toyota distributors has running boards that are much easier to install than the national running boards for the rest of the country: Black Running Board - Details

You would have to order from a Southeast Toyota dealer and have them shipped to you.(RAV4 Black Running Boards | Sparks Parts).
You are absolutely correct. If someone orders from Sparks fill out the order info and stop just short of placing your order.
You should receive an email from them with discounted shipping. Depending where you live shipping can be a killer even with the discount. You do not need to buy the cutout rockers for the all black boards.

Attachments

· Registered
1,982 Posts
Do people still install running boards these days? I have a 2013 RAV4 that came with OEM running boards and I uninstalled them but never got a bite trying to sell them even cheap. I hate to send good products to a landfill but if nobody wants them what else are you going to do?
Depends on the vehicle and how they look. For the RAV4, I don't think they look very good and really not needed. But on my 4Runner with a lift, you really need steps or running boards to get into the vehicle, especially people with short legs.

· Registered
947 Posts
I thought running boards are a throw back to the 70's & 80's , most running boards on new vehicles because the height of the vehicle and trying to get in it. Unless you are really small person most people can access the Rav4. If it's for jazzing up the vehicle go for it, your money keeps someone in a job somewhere for a day or two.

· Registered
2,609 Posts
The other thing about running boards on a crossover is the “pantleg problem.” The boards on late models tend to stick out noticeably and make us stretch our legs more when getting out of the vehicle. Usually this results in pantlegs brushing muddy/dirty running boards.

Something to keep in mind.

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the comments. The RAV4 that we are ordering will be my wife's vehicle. I may just let any rock chips happen accepting the wise detailer's mantra concerning auto body flaws..."If you can't see them from five feet away, they aren't there." I'll concentrate on keeping my Tacoma chip free.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts