Toyota RAV4 Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Anybody install running boards on their Prime? Suggestions and advice?
Make sure you need it. Mine is TRD model. I installed running boards but took it out after a few weeks since it make me difficult to get in/out.

·
Registered
22 Posts
You didn’t have to do anything with rocker panels correct? The videos make it look easy but a lot of 2019 posts about needing new rocker panels? Ordered black and pumped about them - do you have pics of your set up? Thanks!

I put OEM black ones on, installation was easy.

·
Registered
Prime XSE Premium, Venza Limited
647 Posts
You didn’t have to do anything with rocker panels correct? The videos make it look easy but a lot of 2019 posts about needing new rocker panels? Ordered black and pumped about them - do you have pics of your set up? Thanks!
I did buy a set of rockers because I thought I needed them. They are still in the box and stored up in the garage rafters. They also are for sale if anyone is buying the OEM silver and black boards which does use them. The all black ones attach differently. Wheel Tire Vehicle Car Hood Tire Wheel Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

·
Registered
22 Posts
I did buy a set of rockers because I thought I needed them. They are still in the box and stored up in the garage rafters. They also are for sale if anyone is buying the OEM silver and black boards which does use them. The all black ones attach differently. View attachment 172657 View attachment 172658
You rock - thanks so much! 2 last questions (sorry). Any tips/tricks with the install? Any noticeable mpg hit?

·
Registered
647 Posts
The hardest part was the initial attaching to the car. The studs coming off the car have to align with the corresponding holes on the boards. I did it myself but two people would be ideal.
I have no idea on the mileage hit due to all the other changes I made but a guess is minimal or none. Good luck and please give an update on how it went for you.

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime
2 Posts
I did buy a set of rockers because I thought I needed them. They are still in the box and stored up in the garage rafters. They also are for sale if anyone is buying the OEM silver and black boards which does use them. The all black ones attach differently. View attachment 172657 View attachment 172658
Hi. So does that mean that the rocker panels of Rav4 Primes that have black running boards are not cut or different than if they did not have running boards at all? My prime came with factory installed black running boards and I was thinking of removing them but I had seen that individuals that were installing running boards had to cut the rocker panels so I assumed that If I removed the running boards I would have to change the rocker panels (and I did not want to spend the money to buy new Rocker panels). However from what you are saying it seems that it would only be Prime‘s with silver running boards that have different rocker panels. Am I correct? Thanks

·
Registered
647 Posts
Hi. So does that mean that the rocker panels of Rav4 Primes that have black running boards are not cut or different than if they did not have running boards at all? My prime came with factory installed black running boards and I was thinking of removing them but I had seen that individuals that were installing running boards had to cut the rocker panels so I assumed that If I removed the running boards I would have to change the rocker panels (and I did not want to spend the money to buy new Rocker panels). However from what you are saying it seems that it would only be Prime‘s with silver running boards that have different rocker panels. Am I correct? Thanks
Yes you are correct. The image shows the rockers with the cutouts that are used for the silver and black boards. The cutouts are on the bottom of the car. Take a look at the underside and see what you have, maybe they used the cutout ones which would still work but they are not necessary. Either way they are not visible. The mounting system is completely different for the all black boards so the cutout rockers are not needed.

Attachments

·
Registered
RAV4 Prime
2 Posts
Yes you are correct. The image shows the rockers with the cutouts that are used for the silver and black boards. The cutouts are on the bottom of the car. Take a look at the underside and see what you have, maybe they used the cutout ones which would still work but they are not necessary. Either way they are not visible. The mounting system is completely different for the all black boards so the cutout rockers are not needed.
[/
oh awesome. Thank you so much. I really appreciate your help and the picture.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts