Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

Running in ?

1077 Views 24 Replies 16 Participants Last post by  shackley
Running in ... how did you behave during the running in ?
Thanks for your inputs !
  • Haha
Reactions: climbeverymt
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
46 Posts
Which can't NOT happen on the Prime or Hybrid drivetrains. If you have a tach you'll see that RPMs are all over the place from zero to higher regardless of speed, even if you get on the highway and set the cruise for hours on end. That's why the manual is useless- it was not written for the Synergy Drive system. It is a cut and paste.

@Dr. Dyno I've never seen a break in issue on Toyotas I've owned but have encountered a couple of break in issues in Piston aircraft where cylinders glazed and burned oil because they weren't initially run hard enough. As counter intuitive as it sounds...
Problem solved.

· Registered
365 Posts
In earlier days, engines were made to much looser tolerances and they relied on the break-in period to smooth edges of parts, especially getting the rings to fit properly inside the cylinders. If you rushed it, by pushing too hard too soon, then you could seize the engine. With modern engines, the difference is much more subtle - maybe between starting to burn oil at 60K instead of 90K. Still, I'd recommend running in EV mode through a tank and avoiding to harsh acceleration for at least the first few hundred miles.

· Registered
2023 Rav4 XSE WP
46 Posts
In earlier days, engines were made to much looser tolerances and they relied on the break-in period to smooth edged of parts, especially getting the rings to fit properly inside the cylinders. If you rushed it, but pushing too hard too soon then you could seize the engine. With modern engines, the difference is much more subtle - maybe between starting to burn oil at 60K instead of 90K. Still, I'd recommend running in EV mode through a tank and avoiding to harsh acceleration for at least the first few hundred miles.
I'd agree. Maybe the instructions for Toyota are just ass covering in case there are engine problems during warranty. I wouldn't put it passed Toyota to do that.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts