Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Apparently the daytime running light (DRL) bulbs have burned out on my 2014 RAV. I cannot find a youtube video that shows how to replace them. There are numerous videos on replacing headlights but none that show the DRL lights. The videos I have found on DRLs are for replacing them with some kind of upgrade except one that said his RAV has LEDs associated with his running lights. Also, the only place I've found replacement bulbs say the headlight and running light burbs are the same part number. That doesn't seem likely to me.

Anybody know where I can learn how to change the DRLs.

·
Super Moderator
11,107 Posts
Moved to correct area.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Huh, I'm amazed no one knows of information on changing Daytime Running Light bulbs. If no one knows then it probably won't do any good to post pictures but I have them so . . .

Does anyone have a hint how to unplug the bulb from its base, or know if it's necessary to replace the entire assembly?

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've concluded you replace the entire assembly. The part number on the assembly is hb3 u 9005 L+. I can't believe the confusion when I google that part number it comes up headlight bulb not DRL. At autozone the google listing says DRL but when you go to it it says headlight. When I go to the Amazon link it's a fog light. Argggggg??? How can replacing a light bulb be this confusing?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
In your RAV4 the DRL lights are just the High beams running at a reduced brightness. They really are the same bulb. If your DRL's are burnt out right now, then your high beams aren't working either. According to your owners manual these bulbs are a 9005, which is also known as a HB3 bulb. That is why your research says the DRL's and high beams are the same part number.

Your RAV uses H16 bulbs for the fog lights, but that isn't the only thing H16 bulbs can be used for, and fog lights don't always have to be H16 bulbs. There are probably some vehicles that use 9005 bulbs for fog lights as well.

This no different than buying a 60 watt bulb for my home. If screw it into the ceiling it is a "ceiling bulb". If I screw it into a table lamp it is a "table lamp bulb" etc. When trying to replace my ceiling light I wouldn't search for a ceiling bulb, but rather for the part number, in this case an A-Style 60 watt bulb. You should also search for the part number of your RAV4 bulbs ( like 9005) rather than searching Google for a DRL bulb. These part numbers are in your owners manual.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you, thank you. Nowhere did anyone say high beam headlight and DRL are the same bulb. I considered the possibility the headlight and the running light were the same bulb, the confusing thing was there's only one filament. Taillights and brake lights used to be in the same bulb but were two different filaments. Also, when I turn the headlights on they're an entirely different light . Of course, I now realize, I'm turning on low beam, but low & high beam used to be in the same lamp so it never dawned on me they were in different lamps. In the youtube videos they only talked about changing headlights. They didn't talk about high & low beam being different lamps.

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
In your RAV4 the DRL lights are just the High beams running at a reduced brightness. They really are the same bulb. If your DRL's are burnt out right now, then your high beams aren't working either.
The DRL's run at reduced brightness because the 2 high beams are in series The 2 DRL's will fail to operate if even just 1 high beam is dead.

So to save some cost, turn on your high beams and replace only the one that is not working. That will resolve your DRL problem.

Of course there is always the possibility that both high beams are burnt out!

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks. What an incredible arcane arrangement.

If you look carefully at the lower view in the picture I uploaded, you may be able to see there's a separation in the filament. So this bulb is burned out.

I'm adding a closer view.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As it turned out both bulbs were burned out and I have not replaced them. You can get replacement bulbs here from Amazon. They seem to be the same as factory originals.

I have to confess I never really looked directly at the running lights before I replaced them, but now I wonder if the new bulbs are the right brightness. The only seem to glow, not beam. It's hard to take a picture of a light. This is the best I can do and they seem brighter in this picture, but you can look directly at the bulb and it doesn't bother your eyes -- no after spots, the bulb is distinct and the the filament is just glowing, it's not shining.

The high beams look right, they're dazzlingly bright.

Do you know if this is what yours looks like?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I wonder if the new bulbs are the right brightness. The only seem to glow, not beam. .....The high beams look right, they're dazzlingly bright.

Do you know if this is what yours looks like?
I don't have a 2014 RAV4 so I cannot tell you what the normal brightness is. If you say the bulbs look normal when the high beams are on, then what you see when they are in DRL mode is probably normal.

On the other hand I wouldn't expect them to be so dim that they appear yellow. The thing to remember is that the high beams were chosen to act as DRL's because the focal point of the reflector is much further down the road than the low beam focal point. So oncoming vehicles can spot your RAV4 even with the reduced brightness, which is normally 50% of the full high beam brightness.

Hopefully someone who owns a 2014 can let you know if that is normal brightness.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, thanks. By the way the first line of my prior message should have read "I have now replaced them" I guess that was obvious but I decided I should clarify.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts