Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate running lights, especially when I want to view Christmas lights and they tell you to turn off your lights...well, I can't. Other than disconnecting them, is there another way to turn them off?:mad:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi Camille is there anyway you can connect a switch to your dash panel? You can use either a rocker or toggle switch. But it can be done

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I love toggles and switches. I can set a toggle of some sort in the front of my console where I have some unused places. can you tell me how?
I figured that I'd have to splice into something, just wasn't sure what.

·
Registered
551 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
If you mean the Daytime running lights, they might shut off when you put on your handbrake.
You might have to stop and re-start the car with the handbrake still on.
Ott.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,890 Posts
There are 2 ways to turn off daytime running lights that I know of. They can be turned off in software using Techstream on a laptop or by persuading your dealer to do it. Some dealers may refuse by trying to say it's illegal, but they are not mandatory here in the U.S.

The second way is to replace a relay in the passenger side fuse box under the hood. Simply unplug the brown relay (DRL relay #3) in the photo and replace it with a blue relay. No more DRL's:

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
thanks everyone, I tested brake and that worked. I'll use it this weekend when we take the dogs to look at Christmas lights. Then I'll look for the relay to make it a permanent fix....:smile

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
thanks everyone, I tested brake and that worked. I'll use it this weekend when we take the dogs to look at Christmas lights. Then I'll look for the relay to make it a permanent fix....:smile
Try this: when you get to your destination(Christmas light viewing), stop engine, in park, turn key on but don't start, pull up on handbrake juuust enough to light the "brake" light, no more. Start the car, don't touch the handbrake and see if you can drive slowly through the display. Car should move easily, assuming your handbrake isn't adjusted very tight. Just don't forget to release the handbrake when leaving the display. The point of all this of course is that the DRLs should remain off as long as the "brake" light is lit.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts