Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my 2007 Rav4 V6 used in 2010 with 108k from a dealership (way below blue book - I guess it is hard to sell a vehicle with over 100k and they were ready to ship it off to auction). Inside and out, it looked like it just came off the showroom floor, so I bought it on the spot since I had seen great reviews for the Rav4.
It now has 210k and it still looks new and runs absolutely perfectly. I had a water pump put in it a few years ago, but that is the only repair that has ever been made (except for free recall maintenance every once in a while). I put a new battery in it once and I have synthetic oil changes every 10k - that's it.
I have never had a vehicle like this that doesn't require any repairs. My question is: should I be doing some kind of preventative maintenance or replacing some parts that will make it run more efficiently? Or should I just say "if it ain't broke don't fix it"?
When I take it to various oil change places or dealerships every 10k, they do their 30-point inspections (or whatever) looking for things to recommend, but nobody ever recommends anything.
Am I just crazy and looking for ways to throw money away or should I be maintaining my Rav4 better? I plan on keeping it until it dies.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts
Welcome! Congrats on your RAV and its very good reliability. I'm one of the "if it ain't broken, don't fix it" members but also believe in doing or having done maintenance by the book (Owner's Manual). The only maintenance I've had done which I don't believe is in the book is a brake fluid change if when I test the brake fluid it registers in the "change" zone on the tester.

Reactions: Bill1123

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
First of all, I'd say kudos to the dealer who does the 30-pt inspection and gives thumbs up to your vehicle. Seems like a lot of them look for excuses and exaggerate the need and charge an extra arm or leg, lol.

I'm probably opposite of you, I've changed out every fluid in the car, meeting or exceeding the maintenance schedule. Not excessive, but swapped out tranny, coolant, rear diff and transfer case on my own, now at 83k miles. I believe fluids lose some of their protective qualities and prefer not to push my luck.

Who knows, maybe that water pump you mentioned would have been okay with a fluid change early on instead of an eventual replacement. Also, I plan to sell at 10 years old and wish to hand off a solid maintenance record to the next owner, and extract a higher value because of it.

But for you, sounds like you've gotten your money worth without sweating it. So any maintenance approach now is gravy! Or gravy on top of icing on the cake. Toyota says the ATF is lifetime, so here's hoping you live long and prosper!

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
80 Posts
If it were mine, I would change the ATF and filter, differential oil, transfer case oil, brake fluid, and coolant. I would also change the spark plugs. When Toyota says "liftime" I doubt they mean 400,000 miles and 20 years, and there's no reason to think yours can't go that far/long.

Brake fluid should be changed every 2 years, IMO and you should replace the DOT 3 that came with the car with DOT 4 or DOT5.1 (do not use DOT 5). Brake fluid absorbs moisture over time and that decreases its boiling point. When brakes are used, they convert the momentum of the car into heat. That heat will transfer into the brake fluid. If the brake fluid gets hot enough to boil, the brake pedal will go to the floor and the brakes will not work until it cools down. If the OEM DOT 3 brake fluid is a few years old it will have a boiling point of 284 degrees F. New DOT 4 has a boiling point of 446 degrees F and new DOT 5.1 has a boiling point of 500 degrees F. That's a huge extra margin for error with new DOT 4 or DOT 5.1 fluid.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Maybe the timing belt? If it wasn't done when the water pump was changed.
The 2007 RAV4 doesn't use a timing belt on the V6 or the I4.

·
Your Humble Administrator
2008 RAV4 Limited V6
16,729 Posts
Bill, have you ever changed the spark plugs? They were due to be replaced at 120,000 miles.

·
Registered
22 Posts
At 200k + miles I'd be thinking about new shocks if you're still on the originals. They may not have "failed", but almost all shocks will lose damping ability over time. The only common OEM shocks I know of that will regularly last beyond 200k miles are Bilsteins.

If you're happy with the ride, then carry on, but if you're looking for something to do, I'd suggest new shocks are in order.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the advice, I really appreciate it.
I did think of one other thing that I replaced; a bulb in the headlight went out. I went ahead and replaced all the bulbs (front and rear) because I figured they were all the same age and would all fail pretty soon. I was surprised how easy it was to replace the bulbs. I was also impressed that I didn't have to replace entire light assemblies like in some vehicles.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts