Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took my RAV again to have it oil sprayed at Metropolitan. Found out that they only using non-drip this year, the only time I wanted to use the regular oil. Anyway I used non-drip again this year.

I took off the door sill covers to let them spray into the body; I try to minimise the number of holes as much as I can.

Lo and behold ... There is rust along the edge of all door still covers on all 4 sides, but especially at the back.

I think this is due to sand/dust particles getting trapped under the covers and my kids make full use of those covers. As the particles grind against the body the paint breaks and rust starts.

It is also there in the front although we do not put our feet on them. So I am thinking that any debris that gets trapped at the edge vibrates with the car and does similar damage.

Very disappointed that I will have to sand all this, use rust converter, paint, but I will get the area covered with 3M Scotchguard clear bra before installing the doorsill covers.

I am just tired of doing touch ups:wall There are a few feet of touch-up to be done here, not just one spot.

Good thing my name is not Rolltide; otherwise I would be having a heart attack ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Good thing my name is not Rolltide; otherwise I would be having a heart attack ;)
You basttard!!! LOL. :cheers:.... as he runs out to check under his door sill covers, sweat beading on his brow, tools quivering in his hand!!! Wait a minute..how do you even remove those things? And do I really want to?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just pull/pry and they come out.
The circular tubes only help to guide a quick fit at the factory.
I actually had to cut them so them to fit back; a 5 second hack.

Only the rectangular opening are used to hold the cover in place.

I think the Sport sill covers look different but should fit the same way.

As you can see, the rust spots are on both sides of the edge; So if you do not see them, I would not be worried.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
So I decided to sand down the rust to start the painting process. As I looked door gasket, I realised that there was more rust in that area. I took off the gasket and .... rust under the gasket! WTF! 3 out of 4 doors had rust there. The gasket is pretty hard on the inside. I think that the previous owner and my kids must have walked over that gastket a few times and that hard rubber must have rubbed off the paint and started the rust.

It got dark and I had to stop. So I only had the chance to apply rust converter and primer. Tomorrow the plan is to lightly sand the primer-sealer and apply a few coats of paint with a brush;

In the end, the plan is to also clear coat and apply 3M ScotchGard Clear film over all door sills; I already bought the film from Ebay.

Pictures below show a door sill BEFORE sanding and AFTER sanding+rust converter.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Not meaning to compound the OP's terror but what he has shown is only the visible side. There is more beneath. Don't go so anal on this because what you can see is the 1% of overall rust below and beneath.

Relax.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Not meaning to compound the OP's terror but what he has shown is only the visible side. There is more beneath. Don't go so anal on this because what you can see is the 1% of overall rust below and beneath.

Relax.
Errr ahhhh... :roll: Yeahhhhh... some things are better left unwritten.

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Relax.
Fortunately, this is just surface rust.
But I know what you mean, I had panels on other vehicles rust through from inside.

If I do not take care of these small issues, the door sill will be perforated within 5 years, guaranteed. I better spend the time and low $ now than have to replace 4 door sills.

·
Premium Member
2,505 Posts
Thank you all for putting up with my being a curmudgeon. I do not worry so much about rust because my 2011 RAV4 is likely to outlive me. My attitude about rust prevention was once huge!

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I had the chance to paint the doors sills today. I sprayed the paint into the cap and used a brush to apply on top of the primer. I did not want to spray directly on the door sills; there would be too much masking to do and a great chance of running out of paint ( I had only half a can). Also I hate spraying clearcoat and having to deal with edges, orange peel, ... basically this could take my whole weekend if I wanted to do it right and I don't have the time for that.

Considering that half of the touch-ups will be covered by the door sill cover and there will be 3M Scotchgard Clear film on all the sills, the paint texture/colour will be partly masked. And frankly no one really looks down there.

This is what the painted door sills look like.

I am visiting a Maximum security prison tomorrow. So I will have to wait to put the clear film on in 2 days or may even later.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
I had the chance to paint the doors sills today. I sprayed the paint into the cap and used a brush to apply on top of the primer. I did not want to spray directly on the door sills; there would be too much masking to do and a great chance of running out of paint ( I had only half a can). Also I hate spraying clearcoat and having to deal with edges, orange peel, ... basically this could take my whole weekend if I wanted to do it right and I don't have the time for that.

Considering that half of the touch-ups will be covered by the door sill cover and there will be 3M Scotchgard Clear film on all the sills, the paint texture/colour will be partly masked. And frankly no one really looks down there.

This is what the painted door sills look like.

I am visiting a Maximum security prison tomorrow. So I will have to wait to put the clear film on in 2 days or may even later.
More than enough good work and effectiveness for an area only you will ever see or notice. Do you have clear film on other areas of the RAV?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No, not yet. I am planning to get the top of the rear bumper covered. I am often carrying tools, lumber,...

I am also thinking to get some cardom fiber vinyl on the interior and maybe the hood

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
I applied the 3M Scotchgard to all 4 door sills today. It went pretty well.
nice! you almost can see it! how long to install?

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Intial prep of solutions: 5-10 min, depending how much you have to run around :)

Cutting the right length: 2 min
application on each sill: 5-6 min at the most.

Once you get the hang of it, it is pretty straight forward. I was not picky about the exact shape of the film since it is not very visible anyway.

I watched today how my little girl walked all over the film on the side of the door sill covers :eek: I feel good now :)

I also noted that the 3M film that i used (8 mil) is a little less thick that what Toyota has installed on our RAVs near the bottom of the rear doors.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Sorry for digging up an old thread but I'm having the same rust issue. If I would have noticed this when I purchased my '12 RAV4 2 weeks ago I would have said something. I took it back to the dealer and had them look at it. Unfortunately the service manager who I talked to earlier wasn't in that morning (out sick or something) but another service rep took my info and snapped a few photos. Got a call today from the manager and he said Toyota corporate won't help but the dealer will take care of it. I have an appointment next week with their body shop.

Attachments

·
Registered
7,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
After repair (maybe a month of so), do yourself a favour and cover it with a plastic film like I did.
Or, if you do not want to go through the trouble, take off the edge of the door sill cover from the inside.
This should take care of the rubbing on the door sill for some time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm going to ask the body shop if they can install some 3M film or ask what can be done to prevent this from happening again. Thanks.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Got my Rav4 back from the dealer last week. They did a fantastic job on the repair- even put down the 3M film like I suggested. Someone from the body shop must have read a few posts here.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts