Toyota RAV4 Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went through one winter without any rust proofing so far on my 2015 RAV4. I want to get my vehicle undercoated only with Rust Check this fall.

My question is has anyone had this done to their vehicle, and have any rubber parts like CV boots suffered from swelling or damage afterward?

·
Registered
1,912 Posts
I have been getting my vehicles oil sprayed for several decades now.

The only time I experienced a problem was on a Honda Civic that had been sprayed annually for about 8 years. The open cell foam weatherstripping around the edges of the hood and doors had began to swell, and lengthen. The weatherstripping actually began drooping out the edges of the hood.

Since this particular weatherstripping was tubular and had a hollow core, I cut out the areas that were drooping, and reattached the ends using short pieces of vinyl tubing in the center core.

A few years later when I began using Krown rustproofing, I noticed that they sprayed all the weatherstripping with silicone spray before applying the oil. Obviously they were aware of the problem and resolved it by using the silicone. Since that day, as a precaution, I now spray my own rubber with silicone before taking the vehicle in for treatment.

As far as I know, this effect will only occur in rubber than can absorb the oil. So it will happen in open cell foam rubber, but I did not notice it in the rubber CV joints, and I wouldn't expect it to be a problem in those locations.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts